• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCI green tag competition, is it really match grade ?

264win

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2008
    whidbey island wa.
    Several local shops are stocking this ammo. But it’s priced about the same as Lapua center x @$30 per 100.
    I find it hard to believe that CCI is really making ammo comparable to center x.
    Anyone have first hand experience with this stuff ?

Last edited:
    I heard good things but just FYI, standard velocity CCI in the plastic case is the same ammo as green tag. Also I believe pistol match is the same as well

If you are an optimist and believe the advertising, it's great stuff. :sneaky:

If you use it for benchrest competition at 50 yards, y'er gonna lose. :oops:

Watch the CCI rimfire factory tour video. Everything off their rimfire assembly line is bulk ammo.
    It's tested for function (does it go bang?), it's tested for safety (chamber pressure).
    Expected accuracy, according to CCI, is 2 moa average at 100 yards for 5 shots.
    You can get one group of 0.5", the next will be 3.5 inches, average 2"/2moa.

I tried it - a touch better than std velocity, but wasn't as good as the SK, wolf gold, or Lapua that was similarly priced at the time.

well, this morning there was 37 units at SGA ammo of the 100 round packs of CCI. who grabbed them all?

Thanks for the input guys.
    I would like to find a subsonic match round that doesn’t have as much lube as Center X. As it can be a pain in dusty environments.

Thanks for the input guys.
    I would like to find a subsonic match round that doesn’t have as much lube as Center X. As it can be a pain in dusty environments.
    Then try some of the Eley offerings. The lower-tier labels use paraffin lube, black-box Match and Tenex use beeswax lube; these aren't as greasy as Lapua/SK lube.

Devon at the AZ Lapua test center told me that all Lapua/SK labels except Polar Biathlon Extreme use the same lube. Indeed, when ambient temperature is over 75 degrees or so, Lapua/SK rounds are annoyingly slick to handle.

Edit: CCI doesn't make match ammo. Period. Doesn't matter what they print on the box... kinda like the "sport" labels car manufacturers hang on buzzy, squishy little cars along with some plastic trim pieces. Same car, pay more $, performance is... yeah.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MajorD and 264win
    Several local shops are stocking this ammo. But it’s priced about the same as Lapua center x @$30 per 100.
    I find it hard to believe that CCI is really making ammo comparable to center x.
    Anyone have first hand experience with this stuff ?
    While being good ammo. CCI struggles to maintain any degree of accuracy no matter what label they put on the box.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MajorD