• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cci primer question

Dildobaggins

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2020
So I bought 2 boxes (1000 each) of cci #41 primers about a year ago from Midway and Brownells. First time ever buying cci #41 (new to reloading.) The inside of the primers are yellow/gold color. Bought another box about a month ago from a different company. They appear to have a lot # printer on them and also taped on both end where the box opens. Opened them up and they are a reddish color on the inside and the trays holding the primers are stained yellow in some spots. Any idea why that is, and what's with the color change?

Thanks,
Dbaggins

Sounds like someone is passing off different primers as CCI. Definitely call CCI and run this down. If those primers are what I think they are they were improperly and illegally shipped in the CCI packaging.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
IMG_20221215_120312.jpg

These are from Millwall corp. Tray is stained. And they are red. Idk if it's normal. I've bought other boxes of cci#41 before and they were all yellow. And no stained trays.

Attachments

• IMG_20221215_120337_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20221215_120337_hdr.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 53

Product Services Support​

866-286-7436

For ammunition questions or to speak with a CCI Products Services team member.
Called and left a message. I'll let everyone know here when they get back to me. Anyone know if there is a way to look up lot #?

Reactions: RegionRat
They look like the same primers I have, purchased within the last year . Purchased from one of the big name vendors , just not sure which one .

I have some of those that I got last year I think too, just in case. I will look at em and see if it's the same.

Edit: I have the 34's (LRP) they are yellow though. Never seen any CCI that isn't yellow actually. I have some Winchester SRP that's dyed red like that but there's no yellow staining.

View attachment 8022007
These are from Millwall corp. Tray is stained. And they are red. Idk if it's normal. I've bought other boxes of cci#41 before and they were all yellow. And no stained trays.
I bought 5000 cci 41's about 2 years ago. Mine are Red, but no yellow staining on the trays.
Gone through 1700 no issues aside from they are hot and give plus 50-75fps over 205's in my Creedmoor.
IMG_7329a.jpg

View attachment 8022007
The red doesn't seem to be so unusual to me. But that yellow in those pockets looks to me like some of the primer's ignition compound has leaked out. It shouldn't be doing that.

I bought 5000 cci 41's about 2 years ago. Mine are Red, but no yellow staining on the trays.
Gone through 1700 no issues aside from they are hot and give plus 50-75fps over 205's in my Creedmoor.
View attachment 8022323
Good stuff. Thanks man!
The red doesn't seem to be so unusual to me. But that yellow in those pockets looks to me like some of the primer's ignition compound has leaked out. It shouldn't be doing that.
That would make sense to me. All the primers that are facing downward have that stain on them. Cci called me back and I missed the call. Not sure what they will do for me though. I didn't buy them from CCI.

I have some of those that I got last year I think too, just in case. I will look at em and see if it's the same.

Edit: I have the 34's (LRP) they are yellow though. Never seen any CCI that isn't yellow actually. I have some Winchester SRP that's dyed red like that but there's no yellow staining.
My 34's are about 9 years old. The yellow is the coating. The cup is silver.

My 34's are about 9 years old. The yellow is the coating. The cup is silver.
Yeah that's how mine are but they are about a year old I think. I've never shot any of them, I just bought them because I saw them available and didn't know when I would have a chance to get LRP.

I've bought a lot of 41s and 34s over the years and gotten both silver and brass colored cups. I haven't yet looked at them to see what color the coating is or if there may be staining.

Sounds like someone is passing off different primers as CCI. Definitely call CCI and run this down. If those primers are what I think they are they were improperly and illegally shipped in the CCI packaging.
What do you think they might be? All the CCIs I've ever seen are yellow inside. Does CCI make primers for commercial sales that appear different than normal retail offerings? I've seen boxes of CCIs for sale on internet sites with OEM printed on them but they don't look new. Maybe even cut and pasted images.

What do you think they might be? All the CCIs I've ever seen are yellow inside. Does CCI make primers for commercial sales that appear different than normal retail offerings? I've seen boxes of CCIs for sale on internet sites with OEM printed on them but they don't look new. Maybe even cut and pasted images.
CCI #41 OEM are being sold right now . They are NEW . CCI # 41 w/ RED . There are previous versions which were yellow . Don't listen to the myth makers .

Last edited:
I've bought a lot of 41s and 34s over the years and gotten both silver and brass colored cups. I haven't yet looked at them to see what color the coating is or if there may be staining.
some pics
All 3 lots of my #34 primers have silver cups and yellow guts. They are from 2009, 2011, 2013. White and very pale blue trays.

All of my #41 primers are from 2013, have gold cups and red guts. Black trays.

MJC mentioned some primers marked OEM. I have some of those as well, from late 80s/early 90s. (Remember the big primer scare back then? Something about they were considering using primer compound with an expiration date that would go bad in like 5 years or some shit.) Small Pistol. Silver cups, yellow guts, white trays.

I have found ZERO stained trays.

Attachments

• 20221218_161133.jpg
    20221218_161133.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20221218_161311.jpg
    20221218_161311.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 38
  • 20221218_161604.jpg
    20221218_161604.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20221218_161811.jpg
    20221218_161811.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 28
  • 20221218_161942.jpg
    20221218_161942.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 37
So tonight I was priming some 223 rem, and opened up a sleeve and they were all completely fine. I then proceeded to open up the remaining 8 and they were all fine and not stained. It was just the one sleeve. I've got a cronograph coming soon. I'm going to see what the difference in SD and MV is with these ones and the others I have.