• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCI subsonic segmented 40 gr HP, thoughts?

Hookturnr

Low Speed, High Drag
Minuteman
  • Jan 20, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA ish..
    I ran across this locally and thought I'd give it a go in the 455...dime sized groups at 50 yds and 1" groups at 100! It's a little spendy to not say"super duper extra mega match" on the side of the box but its strong groundhog medicine inside 50 yds. and I think I just might like it for tree rats in the fall. Anyone else playing with this stuff and what kind of results are you getting?

Re: CCI subsonic segmented 40 gr HP, thoughts?

Shoot Wolf for Match results save the CCI Segmented Subsonics for killing. They are the best to date for stopping everything I've shot.

Reactions: nakoa01

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hookturnr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran across this locally and thought I'd give it a go in the 455...dime sized groups at 50 yds and 1" groups at 100! It's a little spendy to not say"super duper extra mega match" on the side of the box but its strong groundhog medicine inside 50 yds. and I think I just might like it for tree rats in the fall. Anyone else playing with this stuff and what kind of results are you getting? </div></div>

They shoot good in my CZ452 Varmint, but are a bitch to load, I have to force the bolt handle down, to close it. When unfired rounds are extracted, rifling groves are engraved on the lead bullet. This has been discussed else where and with CZ customer service with the consensus that it doesn't cause any harm to the rifle. Rather that the bullet being seated in the rifling is more accurate than a non-seated bullet?

So does your 455 require any more force than usual to load CCI subsonic bullets? When I talked to CZ customer service, their take was, If it didn't effect accuracy, live with it, If I considered it a defect send it in for warranty service and they'd fix it. Needless to say it wasn't broke, so warranty fix in wasn't needed. I just don't shoot CCI subsonic's often and I still have several boxes. I shoot CCI Standard Velocities instead.

Sam

The only issue I have run into with them is occasionally the last round in the mag doesn't feed, but I don't think that's an ammunition issue. BTW mine is the 455 varmint if it makes any difference.
    As far as shooting Wolf match, if I could find a few boxes ANYWHERE around here, I'd love to try it in the gun. I can't make myself plunk down for a brick and pay shipping on that brick when I don't know if the rifle will shoot it any better than what I have found locally. Now if someone were willing to part with a couple boxes....
    I have had good results with Federal Gold Medal SV Match and the above mentioned CCI at longer ranges, Excellent shorter range with CCI Mini Mag as well. I've been to 8-9 local shops since I picked the rifle up and tried at least a box of most everything I've seen but match ammo is pretty hard to come by around here.

I love those rounds. I need to order a couple bricks of em. They shoot great, and they kill critters even better. Minimal exit issues. Have killed several feral cats, and head shots never had exits. Never did body shots so I can't comment on those types of hits.

Branden

the segmented subs do well on squirrels at close range. have had them not exit before.

Well, if you are killing shit doesn't the CCI Stinger work the best for that stuff? I mean, many recommend that if you carry a .22 (God, why?) then it should be loaded with these.

Anyway, they are pretty nasty for .22's.

If you are looking for something quiet with no suppressor, the Aguila Super Colibri is fun to fart around with, fairly accurate, surprisingly so, and it has enough energy to kill small animals at close range for sure. Sounds like a medium-loud pop and will not cycle an action. The regular Colibri is only good for shooting cans in the back yard though.

Strykervet, I have found that this particular rifle is FAR more accurate at all ranges with a subsonic load. Every high velocity round I have played with produced acceptable but not exceptional accuracy whereas the subs have been exceptional almost always. I have used several different subsonic HP loads over the years but just recently came across the segmented HP and was primarily concerned with that particular bullets performance on game before I started hucking them into critters far and near. That being said, stingers have never worked for me in any of my guns..

I have not tried that particular load from CCI, but I pretty much shoot CCI ammo through my rim fire rifles exclusively. I do have some Remington Eley subsonics that have done pretty good for me out of a Savage bolt gun I have. Easy to get less than 1/2" groups at fifty yards with it.

Winchester 40 gr. subsonics work really well in my 22's. Nearly every subsonic round I have ever tried shoots better than the hyper velocity stuff

I've killed several groundhogs, rabbits, a snapper and two 5 gallon buckets of pigeons with these bullets.
    I have never shot them at paper.
    They are more accurate than I can hold with my CZ 452ZKM and irons.
    I've never seen a quiet 22 anchor groundhogs like this bullet.

Weight-sorted they're capable of surgical precision inside of 20 yards. Small sample size, but it didn't exit a raccoon skull at 17 yards after entering through the opposite ear.

Edit: My bad, after looking at my log this was the CCI Quiet Segmented (~700fps).

Last edited:
    I use it for small game, shots less than 100 feet.
    Not high quality ammo. Visual inspection shows dents, dings,
    damaged drive bands, irregular bullet seating.
    Tilted/canted bullets...typical CCI production.
    Take a close look at those cartridges, you will see what I do.

Tried sorting by weight, rim thickness, cartridge length, bullet diameter, brass diameter,
    after all the time and effort, decided if I want better results,
    I'm better off buying better ammo.

Last edited: