• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCI Subsonic Segmented HP Review

Short-bus

customguncoatings.com
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Smithville, MO
www.customguncoatings.com
I've posted my results, and report on a couple other sites other than here so i'm just going to copy and paste the posts in here individually for y'alls. I'm usually a lurker over here but I was hoping that you all would appreciate the results of me getting some of this ammo to test out. It seems to be some really good stuff, and i'm looking forward to getting some more of it.

Branden

Re: CCI Subsonic Segmented HP Review

Today I finally was able to make it to the range to get some time behind the rifle and test out the new CCI Subsonic Segmented HP. This is part 1 of the review, the 25m accuracy portion. I'm hoping that next weekend while i'm off a whole 2 days in a row, or perhaps during the week before I go to work i'm going to a little comparison on cantaloupe since it's on sale at Wally World this week for $1.28/ea.

Anywho, the rifle that I was shooting the CCI Segmented Subsonic HP's through is a box stock Savage Mark II BV with a Wonder Optics WOTAC 4-14x50 scope, and the AT worked down to about a pound or so. The rifle has served me well in the 715 rounds that i've fired through it thus far.

Most of you know how pretty much all of CCI's rimfire ammuntion comes in the plastic 50 or 100 round boxes with the sliding top, and the plastic insert which holds the rounds in place inside. Well, CCI has either done away with that completely now, or just for this particular ammo as it comes in a paper box with the plastic round holder inside. I don't like it as you can't completely remove the rounds from the box without having them go everywhere when you set them down.

CCI-Review_2.jpg

I suppose this is of little consequence if you are just at the range and you are going to burn through the box anyway, but if you are hunting, I think this could be a little more PITA than you'd desire.

While examining the bullets there were several that has excess lube on them, it has the consistency, texture, and appearance of standard wax. I wasn't concerned since I could just knock any excess off with a finger nail.

The hollowpoint on these rounds is larger than others i've seen, similar to the CCI Velocitor hollowpoint, however much deeper. The picture below is a Remington subsonic HP next to the CCI SSHP, you can see the size difference between the two. The remington's just happen to be my best shooting "cheap" ammo in this rifle.

CCI-Review_1.jpg

The conditions for the range today weren't the best, the wind was blowin good and hard from just about every direction at 13-17mph, mostly from 3 o'clock, however it would sneek up on my and come at my 6 or in my face from time to time, one of the groups from the SSHP show a low impact from a wind change in my face that I didn't wait out. Temperature was mid 80's, sunny, and all around a nice day. I was at the lake all morning on the waverunner before that if that tells you what type of day it was!

I wanted to show a comparison of several types of ammo on the same target at the same range and day as a comparison to show how the rifle can shoot, generally shoots, and have that available as a good comparison as to how well a particular round works. Now given that we are shooting rimfires here, what works well in my rifle, make shoot like a shotgun in yours, a saying on here that i'd like to copy, "you're mileage may vary". All targets were shot at 25m to minimize wind issues, and I tried my best to fire each round in identical wind conditions, however today was apparently AR15 day and I had one on each side of me, and several more down the firing line, so I had to time my shots between the extremely LOUD 5.56mm rounds.

6-28-09_22lr.jpg

If you can't read my writing, or if it's just too small the firing order goes from the top line;

SK Match
SK Standard Plus
CCI Segmented Subsonic HP
Remington Subsonic Hp

This concludes Part 1 of this review, when the wind is better i'll get out to 50 as that's what will make or break this ammo in my rifle. I was happy with the performance, getting 2 groups under 1/4", and a 3rd under w/o the flyer is promising IMO. Looking forward to the 50m groups, and the cantaloupe testing!

Branden

P.S. Before you guys give me grief about the "flinch" notation on the first line of targets, please keep in mind all the mall ninjas and their AR15's blasting all around me. It wasn't a flinch because of the massive recoil of the .22lr round.

Got to get the Cantaloupe shot on Saturday, did it in the back yard rather than drive 25 minutes just to shoot some Cantaloupe for no other reason other than to just take some pictures. Wasn't a problem as my .22 was NOT the loudest bang in the area. Range was about 20 meters or so, normal squirrel hunting range. Results were surprising on one account, and totally cool on another.

I compared 4 rounds, yes you'll notice photos for only 3 of them, that's because the Federal Game Shok pencil holed it's way through and was completely, and totally un-dramatic. The 4 types that I fired were;

Remington Subsonic HP 38gr 1050fps (all velocities are published velocities, not chrono'd)
CCI Velocitor HP 40gr 1435fps
CCI Subsonic Segmented HP 40gr 1050fps
Federal Game Shok HP 38gr

And now for the best part....the pics!

Remington Subsonic 38gr HP Entry
RemSub_entry.jpg

Remington Subsonic 38gr HP Exit
RemSub_Exit.jpg

CCI Velocitor Entry
CCI-Velocitor_entry.jpg

CCI Velocitor Exit
CCI-Velocitor_exit.jpg

CCI Subsonic Segmented HP Entry
CCI-SubSHP_Entry.jpg

CCI Subsonic Segmented HP Exit
CCI-SubSHP_Exit.jpg

Notice that the 3 segments traveled quite a distance from each other in the very limited distance to the exit point of the fruit, which was about 8" or so, didn't measure. I was quite happy with the results, and with the accuracy that i've gotten from them, when they are back in stock, i'm going to order a brick or two.

I'm off to the range tomorrow for the 50m testing, winds suppose to only be around 9mph or so, today would have been the best day to go, but alas, the range was closed
frown.gif
. Let me know if there is anything else that y'alls want me to test!

Branden

Reactions: Clowncar

And now the 50m accuracy results, and I have a bonus after this post. I appreciate the patience with how long it's taken me to complete this "review" of this ammo. This is the busy time at work and i'm working about 60hr weeks right now. That doesn't bother me as there was about 2 months that getting overtime was almost impossible.

Today wasn't the best weather of days to be shooting in, it was windy yet again, regardless I made the best of it. I should have gone yesterday as there wasn't a breeze to be found for the most part. I know the range was open, but it was a holiday, and as with all holidays when you have little ones, there are many things to do.

The wind was about 9-13mph varying, some of the gusts seemed like they could approach 20mph, however my experience with high winds is limited. The only time we get a lot of wind around here is when there is weather coming, or here. The temperature was fantastic though. It was a wonderful 78 degrees and partly cloudy. I've spent a majority of today outside taking advantage of the lack of extreme heat.

I was happy with the accuracy of all the ammo that I shot. Given the wind the results were within what I expected of the "cheap" ammo, and got great results from the very few groups of match ammo that I shot. Since the CCI Subsonic Segmented HP is considered cheap grade ammo, I thought i'd compare it with other such ammo. I shot both 25m, and 50m. Here are the targets;

Target 1 is all 25m
7-5-09_22lr_Tgt1.jpg

Target 2 is top line 25m, rest is 50m
7-5-09_22lr_Tgt2.jpg

I still need to rethink my rest strategy for the rifle. I'm shooting off a bipod front, and a bag rear, however getting a consistent hold is tough since the bag is shifting a lot causing me to make a lot of adjustments. I'm considering getting a Caldwell Fire control front rest for group shooting from now on. I think that way i'll get more consistency and perhaps get a better picture of the performance of the ammo from the rifle.

One thing to note about the CCI SSHP. I've never had any issues feeding rounds from the magazine on my Savage Mark II BV rifle that i'm using in the testing. However today for the first time I had some minor issues with the SSHP's hanging up in the magazine, kinda like they were a little too long for the magazine. All it took was a little tap on the magazine to get them to free up, but I thought it was worth a mention here.

Branden

Here's the bonus I just promised you. Since I was a little bored, and wanting to do a little shooting I thought up this little dream for y'alls. I have been saving milk jugs for shooting and thought that i'd like to see what the fragments from the CCI Subsonic Segmented HP's look like after being shot through a milk jug full of water, and to see how many it would penetrate.

For the CCI I setup 2 jugs full of water. When shot the first jug split open, jumped, basically reacted rather violently as expected. I only recovered 2 segments because the 3rd segment broke off and passed through a narrow section of the milk jug only having to traverse about 2" of the second jug. One cool note is that a segment did travel all the way through the second jug and hit the back of it hard enough to make a significant dimple on the back side almost making an exit. That's a lot of penetration, I know it's just water, but it still retained enough energy to almost make an exit.

I weighed the 2 segments that I was able to recover and they weighed 12.9gr, and 11.9gr. There was 2 VERY small fragments of lead in the first jug which I didn't bother to retrieve because they were more like lead sand grains they were so small.

For a comparison of energy transfer I fired a Remington Subsonic 38gr HP for the second test. Being that I knew this round was not going to fragment like the CCI's are designed I lined up 4 jugs hoping that would be enough. It was. The bullet passed completely through the first 2 jugs and came to rest in the third. The bullet impact was NOTHING like the CCI's. The jug split about 3" but that was about it. No drama, no water spraying everywhere, it was like I shot it with a Red Ryder BB gun. You can see the bullet recovered in the photo as a nice mushroom. The bullet weight was...you ready??.....39.7 grains. Apparently when you shoot these bullets into water they gain weight as they're suppose to be 38grains. I know that's not the case, but i'm thinking about pulling a unfired bullet to check the weight, however I don't know how to go about doing it, i'll think of something.

Bullet_Expansion_Test.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed all my reports on the CCI and other rounds for comparison. I'm looking forward to doing some more, this was fun and gave me a solid excuse for buying ammo, and going to the range!

Branden

I would be interested in seeing some tests on the remington CeeBee's and CCI CB Longs

Interesting reading, Thanks

Dave

I think the cantaloupes are a good representation of the chest cavity of something like a rabbit or woodchuck. I'm going to have to give that a try with my .17 HMR to see if it mirrors my experience so far with the different types of ammo.

Wish those segmenting rounds weren't copper coated... I've avoided putting any copper in my match barrels.

I'm going to try it at around 125 yards, which is where I have shot most of my woodchucks.

So far the 17 gr. TNT has been the best performer. No visible entry or exit wound, but they have just died on the spot (BANG -> tats-up!). With the 17 gr. VMAX and 20 gr. XTP they have ran 15 yards of so before dropping.

Give the Aguila 60gr subsonic .22LR ammo a try, should have a good punch if it will expand in time.