• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns CCW for Itsy Bitsy Little Sister

athhud

Minuteman
Sep 17, 2007
Florala, Alabama
I'm on the hunt for a CCW for my little sister. She is 4'10" with heels, weighs 80lbs carrying bricks, and has hands to match.

I'm having a hard time staying objective so I'm wanting suggestions for a decent carry weapon for her. I'd like for her to have something larger than .380 and have several rounds for her to toss down range if trouble arises. The kicker is that it must be as small as possible, because I know good and well that she will not always carry anything if she gets tired of lugging it around and keeping up with it. More than likely this will be a purse gun as she rarely dresses in a way that would allow concealed carry on her person. I own or have access to a LCP, PF9, bodyguard, LCR, and several larger frame autos that she can try out, but I know this niche of guns has exploded in recent years, so I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something that may suit her better. She doesn't really sweat recoil, but she needs something that will allow her to get a second round on target as quickly as possible. Also, I'm not sure how well she can manage working a slide with a heavy recoil spring. Hopefully I'll be able to work with her soon to see what she can and can't handle, but until then what say you guys?

Auto or Revolver?
Do I go with a bigger weapon that would allow quicker follow-up shots or smaller to allow easier handling?
Would a safety be necessary for a purse gun or would a pocket type holster be sufficient? I despise safeties for a carry weapon, but can see them serving a good purpose in a purse.

Re: CCW for Itsy Bitsy Little Sister

I would suggest taking her to the range, and having her shoot as many as possible to see what she like the best. If she isn't truly comfortable with it she will most likely not carry it. With that said I would suggest the Glock G19 (15 rounds, compact frame) or possibly the G26, (10 rounds of 9mm in a sub compact frame) people either love or hate glocks, but the fact of the matter is they just plain work. Put either one in a Comp-tac Mtac IWB holster and don't look back. No external safeties to work, if she will be carrying it in a purse look to the Remora holster. In the end its what works for her that matters.

As for whether or not to go revolver or auto, it will be much more difficult to conceal a revolver than it will an auto, and almost any auto will allow for more follow up shots than a revolver.
For what its worth I carry a G23 (.40), and Ill be picking up a G27 (sub compact.40) for my summer carry. I hope this has been of some help
1 Good luck on your hunt!!

^^^^ If she is not comfortable with it, she wont carry it. Id keep her away from Ruger or Kel Tec, as their trigger pulls are long and heavy in all their smaller guns. If size is the main issue the Walther PPS is a single stack 9mm, 8+1 with a nice trigger and is easily concealed. Smith is shortly coming out with a single stack M&P, great guns. Sig P238 is a 380, but its a shooter with real sights and it easily tucks away in a small purse. My carrys one and loves it.
I like to have round count, but I would rather her have some thing shes comfortable with than nothing at all.
Just my thoughts on a couple smaller guns my wife likes.

This is why I posted here. I hadn't considered Glocks because I absolutely hate them, but my likes are pretty irrelevant. IWB carry isn't a concern as she rarely wears anything that could fit a decent belt. I had the same thoughts with the Ruger and Kel-tec triggers, but my mother (who is pretty much the same size as my sister) can run a PF9 better than most grown men can a full size. She does have to bow up on the slide though and that's why I fear a heavy recoil spring. I'll definitely have the sister spend a day burning rounds through various weapons, I just want to have a variety for her to choose from. I think double stacks will be out of the question, so let's narrow it down to single stacks. Is there anything I should look into that hasn't been mentioned?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Edit: As for revolvers, concealment won't really be a major issue as long as it will fit in a purse. I really like the simplicity of an internal hammer revolver and that eliminates the problem of working a slide. I just don't like the limited capacity on ammo. I guess it's not very likely that she would need more than 5 or 6 shots in the typical defense scenario that she'd likely encounter, but I'd rather she have 5 times as much ammo as she needs than one too few.

M&P 9/40/357c models are very good choices. I have a 357c model and it is very easy to conceal and easy to shoot. It is surprising how easy the 357 Sig cartridge is to shoot. I would let her try out a few and see what works best for her. Glock 26 is also a good choice and easy to maintain. They are not much on the looks but they flat out work and especially if they are going to spend most of the time at the bottom of a purse. I tried at one time to carry a S&W J-frame. They are nice and light but the recoil is a bit snappy. They are not a pleasure to shoot. I did not try 38 special ammo but the .357 magnums, after 10 rds made my hands sting.

With advances in ammo tech .380 is a great deal better then it used to and it's still managable. The sig p238 is a great little gun and may work great in this given situation, I would give it a shot and see if she likes it.

Teach em this technique on racking the slide ....

Grasp the slide firmly with the non dominant hand, and lock arm firmly in place as if using the forearm to block punches ... then instead of trying to PULL the slide back use the dominant hand to PUSH the frame. When the slide is all the way back just release the non dominant hand from the slide.

It is MUCH easier to push with your strong hand than try and pull with your nondominant hand.

Short people have a harder time hiding... Trust me I know. The Ruger LC9 works very well. Plus its actually fun to shoot. Suprisingly accurate for what it is. Night and day from the LCP.

There is a company called sneaky pete, i think. That makes a holster for the LC9 that looks like a Cell Phone or PDA carrier as well.

I carry .380 every day, so I have nothing against it. I just prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to her safety. It appears that Sig now has a model very similar to the 238 in 9mm, that would be pretty slick IMO. I think it's called the 938?

The only revolvers that are on my radar are the lady smith and the LCR.

On the slide racking technique, the only way I've ever taught anyone was to push with the dominant hand, so that's covered. My mom just needs to hit the gym!

I had forgotten about the LC9 mostly because a very good friend of mine was in the market for one, but backed out due to poor reviews. Seems I need to research it myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry .380 every day, so I have nothing against it. I just prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to her safety. It appears that Sig now has a model very similar to the 238 in 9mm, that would be pretty slick IMO. I think it's called the 938?

The only revolvers that are on my radar are the lady smith and the LCR.

On the slide racking technique, the only way I've ever taught anyone was to push with the dominant hand, so that's covered. My mom just needs to hit the gym!

I had forgotten about the LC9 mostly because a very good friend of mine was in the market for one, but backed out due to poor reviews. Seems I need to research it myself. </div></div>

I bought an LC9 a couple months ago and I have been really impressed with it. It's slim, comfortable and really shoots well. I was really hesitant from my experiance with the LCP, I bought one of those, shot it once and sold it. The LC9 is a much better gun. Like I said, you can actually have fun on the range with it. The only thing I don't like is the magazine disconnect safety. I hate those but other than that I've enjoyed about 600 rounds threw mine with no problems.

Would it be too much trouble to disable the mag disconnect without compromising any other functions? A mag disconnect would be a deal breaker for me.

I havent got my hands on Sig P938 but if its anything like the P238 which I am sure it is. Its a good shotting reliable gun. Here again are 2 that I would suggest.
P238 .380
p_00330.jpg

Walther PPS 9mm and Sig p238
p_00332.jpg

the other day i got a nice light smith & wesson stainless airweight j frame 38 special +p for $400 new

it even came with extra pink grips

Kahr is another good option that slipped my mind. You guys have been extremely helpful! Thanks!

What about the new M&P shield? That may be a good option for what you are looking for.

I would have her try a small j frame in 357. You can always throw 38s in there. And with the shape of the grip, it makes it easy to conceal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would it be too much trouble to disable the mag disconnect without compromising any other functions? A mag disconnect would be a deal breaker for me. </div></div>
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=Qin3g_T9HvY

Yep, pretty straight forward

The kimber solo is pretty nice too. I use mine when I'm unable to carry my fusion 1911

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a company called sneaky pete, i think. That makes a holster for the LC9 that looks like a Cell Phone or PDA carrier as well. </div></div>

Just checked this thing out. I like the hell out of it and may get one for myself, but it would look like a laptop strapped to her when you consider the proportions! lol

S&W bodyguard .380

Never shoot one of those before but I heard they are very nice to carry. My buddies girlfriend conceals one of them. I plan on trying it out at the range one these weekends. Worth checking into didnt see it mentioned yet.

I have also shoot and carried the Ruger LC9 and they are very nice. With a female that size the smaller the better so it does not print while carrying on body.

Best thing is like other people have said is try out several different guns and see what she thinks is the best in her hands for size vs. recoil.

I think a saftey is a huge plus for a purse gun, or at least a revolver they are very easy to use and seem to have less issues with them. Though auto's really dont fail these days either. Basically comes down to what she likes and wants to carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chaser_2332</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is for the kahr pm9 </div></div>

I have tried all the micro 9s now (except the Rohrbaugh), including the sig 290 and Kimber solo. The PM9 is, hands down, my pick of the litter, and I would highly, highly recommend it because:

It has the smallest form factor of the little 9s - except the Rohrbaugh, while at the same time has the least perceived recoil. Also, it chronographs 75-100fps faster than a PF9 with the same ammo. The smooth and light DAO trigger is PERFECT for a pocket/purse gun. Easy to pull, but NOT going to happen unless you mean it. The long reset prevents accidental doubletaps. It has REAL, dovetailed, big boy sights. I hate how many little ccw guns have such lame sights.

I use Winchester PDX1 124gr +p, which goes 1175 in my PM9. Thats over 400ftlbs, and it is easy to control. With S&B 119gr target ammo, it clocks about 1050, and the energy is just shy of 300ftlb. That ammo makes it feel like your shooting low power 38spl from a 6" barrel L frame 686. Really, really nice. I just can't sing the praises of the PM9 enough...with the following caveats:

1. The recoil spring is stiff. No problem for me, but maybe for a small woman.
2. The "quirk" of putting a round into battery. It doesn't like the slingshot method, and requires use of the slide release for 100% reliability. Also, when you remove mag to top it off, it's crucial you bump the magazine against your hand to get the cartridges totally rearward in the mag, and the top one fully seated against the feedlips.

I carry mine in a pocket holster, and have never had a malfunction at the range, drawing it and firing after collecting lint/dust in my pocket for several months.

Great gun, highly, highly recommend for your application.

It will be hard to choose anything but the PM9 after a review like that.... Thanks!

KelTec p32, do the research, check the feedback.

When compared to Kahe, Sig or Rugers in comparable calibers KTs are cheaper, lighter, smaller, can have less perceived recoil and have a nice DAO trigger pull.

Do not let the small caliber fool you, a .22 statistically has proven just as useful in a defensive situation as a 9mm or .380

LCR or Bodyguard .38 revolver

Remember that the little bitty handguns kick a lot more than the larger ones. I have a seecamp 32 and you'd be surprised how much the perceived recoil is with its small grip.

I can highly recommend purse-carry of the HKP7M8 (8+1 9mm auto). I usually wear hobo-style purses (everything in main compartment) and never worry a bit about it going off when I don't want it to. If you are looking for a "conceal" purse Galco makes some nice ones. Also, its phenomenally balanced handgun to shoot. Its bearable IWB as well if you wear a loose top.

What about Kahr CM9... it's simple to operate, great trigger, and a good shooter.

I held the Bretta Nano, the M&P Shield, and a Kahr and liked the kahr the best. I would spend the extra Money for the PM9 as I found the safety difficult to use / manipulate (I think it was PM9).

I really like my Ruger LC9...I carry it in a versacarry holster. It disappears even when I wear gym shorts and a tee shirt

Personally, I think she should carry a big can of bear spray. Little weak hands is never a great thing with anything over 32. That being said I vote for this one only because it's damn cute and 11oz. She'll like it and she'll never use it so why not have it be a fashionable accessory.

<span style="font-size: 17pt">DAMN THAT'S CUTE!</span>

pix190944310.jpg

Another vote for the S&W Shield. At least hold one if you haven't. They surprisingly "soft" and comfortable in the hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I think she should carry a big can of bear spray. Little weak hands is never a great thing with anything over 32. That being said I vote for this one only because it's damn cute and 11oz. She'll like it and she'll never use it so why not have it be a fashionable accessory.

/pix190944310.jpg[/IMG]

</div></div>

Aren't you a clever one.... She doesn't give two fucks about how a weapon looks and will be the first to tell you that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I think she should carry a big can of bear spray. Little weak hands is never a great thing with anything over 32. That being said I vote for this one only because it's damn cute and 11oz. She'll like it and she'll never use it so why not have it be a fashionable accessory.

/pix190944310.jpg[/IMG]

</div></div>

Aren't you a clever one.... She doesn't give two fucks about how a weapon looks and will be the first to tell you that. </div></div>

Then get her a black one. I have one and it's a pretty decent gun. There's not a lighter smaller 9mm that exists. And the recoil is not impossible. If she doesn't sweat recoil, it may work for her.

My first carry gun was a NAA single action .22. Carried it for years. The best gun is the one you have which means the one you're willing to have with you at any given time. I never worried about the caliber.

http://diamondbackfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74

She sounds about the same size as my wife. She carrys a 2" .38 5 shot. Handles it well. She also has a Walther P22 but uses it mostly for just plinking. Not that 10 rounds of .22 is gonna be a day on the beach for anyone.

j frame smith .38 revolver works for me

i'm even more proficient with my walther pp .32 auto

a 32 ain't everybody's cup tea but i'm betting one or more in the face will put a stop to anybody

80 lbs? Does she wear skin tight jeans and such? Cuz if thats the case, she aint concealing much of a pistol anywhere. I got my wife and daughers Cold Steel Tuff Lites. Bad ass little box cutter looking blade on steroids. Compact and round where it needs to be and easily concealed in her waistband. Inexpensive enough so that is she loses it in some turds ribcage its easy to replace or have a spare on hand. Wife complained it was a bit hard to close. I told her NOT to be opening it for anything other than to be cutting meat and in that case NOT to worry about closing the dang thing.

The Kahr 9 is a good suggestion IMO. The all steel gun might be a bit heavy. We have both here, my polymer frame Kahr 9 runs quite nicely.

I guess I could post some of the pics that your mom sent me a while back, but I don't think you or anyone else wants to see them. A man does some sickening things in desperate times....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It appears that Sig now has a model very similar to the 238 in 9mm, that would be pretty slick IMO. I think it's called the 938?

</div></div>

Yep, it's the P938, and looks almost exactly the same as the P238 (but is very slightly larger). Same controls and feel, basically a little 1911. I have the P238 in stainless, and it's not hard to carry or shoot.

I liked it better than the Ruger LCP or LC9, both for ergonomics and for looks/design.

I got my SIL an M&P 40 cal, she is very happy with it, and it's not a glock!

I think that the Ruger LCR is a pretty good choice too. I like carrying 1911's, especially the officers or shorter defender models, BUT... that little LCR sure seems to go a lot of places with me. Easy to hide and shoot, not so worried about trigger pull if it ever comes to needing it. Inside 10 yards, not worried at all, plus you can shoot 38's for practice easily.