• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors CCW/IWB/SOB for my 1911?

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I'm looking for a good, well designed IWB,SOB holster for my 1911. The one that has cought my eye so far is the C-Force by El Paso Saddle, but I'm wondering if there is something better? Links, & pics would be great. Thanks.

Re: CCW/IWB/SOB for my 1911?

I would advise against a SOB holster for any firearm, let alone a 1911. The damage done from falling on a weapon situated over your spine (or kidney) could be completely debilitating, not to mention the fact that, with it behind you and incapable of using advantageous body positioning, you might be at a disadvantage.

How about a nice traditional IWB somewhere from 3:15 to 4:30, instead? Personally, for the money and the time spent waiting, I like Kramer.

Comp-Tact MTAC or CTAC

Milt Sparks Versamax-II

No SOB, in a fight, chances are you will be knocked on your butt.
    No question about it Milt Sparks Versamax II. Get the tuckable clips also.

One more thing. If you can't get or afford a Milt Sparks, wait till you can. If you can't wait, the only other choice would be a Galco royal guard. They support NRA instructors and have the holsters for hero's program.

Thanks for the replies. I already have, & have used a Royal Guard for about 8 yrs now, & I want to get a SOB to make carrying more comfortable. I wear the RG @ about 4:eek:-clock, but have had to move it back to the SOB due to the intense back ache it gives me after only a few hours. When I move it back, I can carry all day without this pain. I realise that a fall may be bad, & a SOB will make it harder to access, but I'm afraid that it's either that or I can't carry all summer. I'm wondering if spreading the bet loops farther aprt with a VS-2 will help with the back pain.

You might try the Galco MOB holster. I am surprised about the back pain with the IWB royal guard. Just behind the hip is choice. The MOB is pretty quick and comfortable. Comfort is the key and you need to carry all the time. Belt loop spacing is always an issue when carrying IWB. That's why the kramer #3 is tough. No split in the snap assembly for flexibility. The Galco Concealable Belt holster is nice outside carry. Forward cant, high on the belt, movable..... Vest or light jacket required. Sometimes untucked shirt...

Small of Back for a full size 1911?

IMO you will not be happy with this set-up, Commander, chopped, yes. A full size simply will not work for concealment as it will "block print" your whole backside. Others have already mentioned much better solutions for full size. I've used SOB comfortably for more than 20 years with a full house chop.

Veer is correct about the major concern with SOB, been hearing that for decades now. I'm sure it is true, but have never heard of a single incident where it has come into play.

Double action Stan W. .45, circa early 80s. Double action .45s were unheard of back then and required some 10+ hours of serious rework. Pull the trigger on these and a forward hammer goes back!

Holster is first gen Galco with adjustable drag (important for a friction fit, no snap rig.)

1.jpg

Sitting in a car? Your SOB is just about useless. Switch it out to a simple speed cross draw. Bianchi 111, again decades of good use.

2.jpg

Two nice old school, properly made (wet fit) holsters. You wont be disappoint with either.