• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCW vs CW Turret and reticle movement.

GUNNER75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2005
    SW KS
    My attempt to make this a very simple question....

On CW turret, when you dial right the reticle moves left.
    On CCW turret, when you dial right the reticle moves right.

Say a guy had a S&B 3-27 with CCW turret engravings. The internals are the same I would assume...... Could that guy purchase CW turrets (simply opposite engraving on turrets) and change that to a CW turret optic?

I've never come across write ups on the topic. Did I just miss them or ignore them along the way.

Blaze away if you feel the need.

DCFBDE89-4769-40A9-AD8D-03BC2277035F.png

Understood on elevation, what about windage?

You're moving the bullets impact the direction the knob tells you to, it's that simple. I'm not sure why you're trying to mind fuck yourself with other thinking. This is how all ballistic software gives out corrections too. Holding up or dialing up moves bullet impact up holding right or dialing right moves bullet impact right.

I can accept I have my wires crossed and I've lost my marbles, etc.

Windage only.....
    Leupold MK4 Dial R CCW reticle travels Left
    S&B Dial R CCW and reticle travels right (WRONG)
    Leupold MK8 Dial R CCW reticle travels Left
    Tangent Dial R CCW reticle travels Left....need to confirm
    NXS Dial R CCW reticle travels Left
    Khalas Dial R CCW reticle travels Left
    Swamp Fox Dial R CCW reticle travels Left

Last edited:
    The turret is basically a screw. Either left or right hand threaded. Changing the turret cap will not change the direction it moves.

You're moving the bullets impact the direction the knob tells you to, it's that simple. I'm not sure why you're trying to mind fuck yourself with other thinking. This is how all ballistic software gives out corrections too. Holding up or dialing up moves bullet impact up holding right or dialing right moves bullet impact right.

You are right about me mind fucking myself. I've got a handle on it now and I'll never forget it. This is a "show/example" rifle that I rarely shoot at matches. Shot a fun match last weekend with it and dialed wrong on the first cold bore target. I made the mistake of looking at another shooters rifle in which happened to be CW S&B. Did fine shooting once I made the adjustment and completed the match. What it come down to is I simply viewed the L & R as opposite. (Yes read the turret incorrectly). Quite embarrasing to be honest. Perfect example of overthinking simple.

Reactions: Huskydriver
    I've done it, shoot long enough and you'll make silly mistakes. One time I walked a quarter mile to a shooting spot and realized I'd left the bolt back at the truck, still safely ensconced in its foam lair.

Reactions: GUNNER75
    I got home, grabbed my S&B Rifle, set up on tripod in my shop door, just had to confirm. Yep, sure enough......(with zero mind fucks factored in), dialed elevation, evaluated wind, dialed for giggles, sent it. (wind was minimal) DING! Dumb ass.........follow the arrow............

Typically Counter-Clockwise (CCW) scopes are American style, and you spin the turret to the right, and it dials up on your elevation, and they have a right-side windage (or RSW) adjustment, like 95% of the scopes on the market.

European style is a Clockwise (CW) elevation turret where you spin it to the left and it dials up on your elevation, with a left-side windage turret (or LSW).

Personally, I prefer CCW/RSW scopes. All 3 of my Kahles K-series scopes are CCW/RSW setups to keep things simple with all my other scopes.

I've done it, shoot long enough and you'll make silly mistakes. One time I walked a quarter mile to a shooting spot and realized I'd left the bolt back at the truck, still safely ensconced in its foam lair.
    How about hoofing a 60lb target and stand a quarter mile...

"You bring the spray paint?"

• Haha
    Reactions: GUNNER75
    Hello from France

83B329EE-7042-4B1A-9DBF-943CD26B261A.jpeg

All markings on the turrets indicate where the impact is moving.

Turrets in CounterClocWise CCW : Imagine that turrets are bolts containing the impact.
    In this exemple you turn the turrets CounterClockWise to move the impact Up and Right.

Turrets in ClockWise CW : Imagine that turrets are stationary nuts driving their inner bolts containing the impact.
    In this exemple you turn the turrets ClockWise to move the impact Up and Right.
    With ClockWise turrets, you can also imagine screwing the reticle towards the impact like in the drawing below

0464FEF7-3385-41ED-AAA0-4C96CC16BA40.jpeg

Source : https://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/08/22/tactical-scopes-mechanical-performance-part-2/

Initial drawing from Azur on french tirmaillyforum :
    Source: http://www.tirmaillyforum.com/mildot/viewtopic.php?t=253718&p=2421921#p2421763

Last edited:
    Hello from France

After multiple changes …

View attachment 8138253

Turrets in CounterClocWise CCW : The turrets are bolts containing the impact.

Turrets in ClockWise CW : The turrets are nuts driving the bolts containing the impact.

All markings on the turrets indicate where the impact is going

Habu34

PS: Thanks to azur on the french tirmailly forum for his initial drawing:

One of us is confused. You have a CW and a CCW scope pictured, but the drawings can only be correct for one of them. They should spin in opposite directions to achieve the same poi shift. Not opposite to achieve opposite results.

Maybe