• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors CCW Weapon

finnwerke757

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2008
virginia
Im looking to get a small ccw pistol. Already have a Keltec P3AT, nice pocket gun. But I need something with some balls. Have owned a G26, great weapon. Indestructible!!! But Im looking for something little bit smaller in physical size, and still have some punch. Im open to 9mm,40S&W, and 45ACP. I would appreciate any input.

Re: CCW Weapon

Kahr K40 or KM40 (3.5" or 3.0") bbl. in 40sw. Get the all steel model. Made better and heavier to help with recoil.

AMMO - corbon DPX 140gr. The ones I've tested have consistently expanded to .84-.87" even through 6 layers of denim. They are all copper so they handle barriers better than even the heavy 180gr Bonded.

Left to right is 165gr HST, 180gr HST, 180gr gold dot, and 140gr DPX. Each was shot through 6 layers of denim out of a 3.5" bbl.

67l001.jpg

The HST's are in the .7s and the DPX is .86". The Gold dot is around .61 if I remember.

one more thing. The 140gr pill will have the most energy out of a short bbl gun.

Kahr p9 or pm9. I had a pm9 and traded it for my Glock 26 because i thought it was too small. (Sounds like we are opposite) For what its worth I found the overall quality of the Kahr very high. My only complaint is the trigger but then again, it was never made to be a target pistol!

If you'd like more capacity - then same deal but in 9mm but try either the 115 gr DPX or 127gr +p+ winchester rd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finnwerke757</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I didnt mean that the 40 is inpotent. I want a 9,40, or 45. Just in a smaller pkg. </div></div>

Don't think he was referring to you, rather someones "opinon" on another thread.

Que,
Now that I have been educated and found myself to be totally vulnerable I'll be looking for a nearby scumbag who will accept my wallet
smile.gif

Finn,

Wasn't suggesting you were dismissing the .40. Just chuckling about the nonsense in the other thread! Honestly, I find the Smith and Wesson M&P 40c is a good compromise as it is a little thinner than the mini Glocks, is stainless, holds ten rounds in the mag, three sizes of backstrap to choose from and is priced reasonably.

I own several Kel-Tecs including P-9s, a P-40 slide to swap with a P-9 frame if I want ( I don't anymore
laugh.gif
) P3ATs and a 32. I agree with you on reliability issues. They are light and work <span style="font-size: 17pt">most</span> of the time. I wanted something more certain to work in addition to the P3AT, which is a last resort . So I typically carry the M&P or XD compacts.

I used to have a PM9, traded it for a Glock 36. If I were to do it over again, I would go with the steel verison. If pocket carry is your thing, the PM9 might be worth your while. Lately I've been carrying a M&P340. Great to carry, but a bitch to shoot. Good luck!

The best CCW gun is one you will carry all the time because it is comfortable and it goes bang every time you pull the trigger. The rest of it is crap. I carry a 22 rimfire . A Beretta 21A. I can hit a 3inch target from 10 feet away , from a holster draw , double action. What the bullet looks like does not matter. What matters is that the bullet be in a brain and a heart. If I ever have to use it you can bet all the bullets will be used up.

The Khar is a great CCW but honestly if you think the 26 is to big I am not sure you will like the Khar much better? If the thickness is the issue then the Khar is a bit thiner but it's not much smaller over all. I also went from a Khar to a G26 and for me it's not much diffrent I just shoot the 26 better.
If you would feel comfortable with a five shot look into the J frames a 340pd is what I carry when I need a really small gun and five rounds of 125gr .357 fits the bill on punch just fine. It fits a front pocket in cargo shorts, disapears in a jacket pocket and strong side a light tshirt is all you need.

I have carried a glock 19 and Ruger GP100 357 mag revolver. I also own a MP 40 but never carry. Now for me the Glock feels horrible in my hand. Feels like I am holding a rectangle but it is easy to shoot and easy to conceal carry. The revolver was just to heavy but I found it easy to hide and IMO better than the Glock. I had less worry about anything possibly going wrong with the revolver.

Now I have a Sig P229 coming in 40SW that feels great in hand and is lightweight. Just not sure on how it carries and shoots.

I agree with what was posted above. Try to find something that you will always carry. Doesn't matter how badass the gun is or the bullets that are in it if it is on your dressor while you are at the store.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

BTW look on gunbroker.com you might can find some good deals on the gun you are looking at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Sig 239 is a nice CCW piece & and it is available in three very potent calibers.
9mm, 40S&W, or 357 Sig.
Take your pick.</div></div>

+1 on the Sig 239. Great little gun with lots of power!

I agree that the best carry gun is the gun that you will carry.

My vote: Rohrbaugh R9, small enough, enough power, exquisite quality.

Here's some considerations I try to point out when someone brings this up.

1) A hit with a 22 is far more effective than a miss with a 454 Casull, so get something you can easily and comfortable handle.

2) If you DO have to shoot someone, the cops are going to take it from you until the investigation is over and the scumbag's family is almost assuredly going to sue you over it.

3) Since the local LEO is going to take it from you, and once in a while things do get lost in the evidence locker, I carry a CZ-82 chmabered in 9x18 Mak. It's a nice compact pistol, it's military proven, I've fired the crap out of it and had great results, and if you doubt it's potency, read #1. It was $182 including shipping with my CR license.

4) Practice, practice, practice. Practice your draw, practice shooting it, get some snap caps and practice DA pull on the triger, etc.

All that being said, if you want to carry a really potent round, might I suggest a G29? All the snot of a 10mm (which easily outclasses everything you mentioned) and it's the same size as the Walther PPS in 9mm, plus it holds 3 more rounds.

When I have the scratch put together for one, I plan to upgrade the CZ82 to a G29 for my daily carry, but for now I'm not in a big hurry because that little 12+1 capacity 9 is certainly going to do it's job, I have no doubt of that.

I like my kahr cw40. it carries comfterble and I almost never leave the house without it any more. bad part is its so comfterble I almost forget that I have it one me.

the most important thing to remember about a concealed carry weapon is it will become a part of you. it will become as important to you as putting your shoes on before you leave the house. you will feel naked if you do not have it. take that into carefule consideration when choosing your cc weapon. that is annother reason that no one gun is perfect for concealed carry what works great for one person may be awefull for some one else and allot of the time you may find your self buying 2-3 diferent guns before you find one that is perfect!

well thank each and every one of your suggestions. I just got a killer deal on a Kahr CW40 NIB $385. I hope to shoot it this weekend. This thing points better than the G26 that i owned. Just a first impression. Any suggestions on carry ammo. Im thinking Speer Golddots, or TAP, or Ranger SXT? Would love some input on this.

The BHP carries well. At $385 you did get a great deal. I saw a couple of them at a local gunshow last weekened and they were in the $500 range. Heck, even used AR variants were mostly $1150 and higher. All I got was a pair of socks, some venison jerky and a new dream catcher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finnwerke757</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well thank each and every one of your suggestions. I just got a killer deal on a Kahr CW40 NIB $385. I hope to shoot it this weekend. This thing points better than the G26 that i owned. Just a first impression. Any suggestions on carry ammo. Im thinking Speer Golddots, or TAP, or Ranger SXT? Would love some input on this. </div></div>

Mine was $345 and I love it! dont forget to clean and oil it before you take it out for the break in period. remeber that the kahr should not be considered reliable before 300 rounds. I shoot hornady 155 grain hollow points in mine and it seems to like them. I used cheapo FMJ for my break in and practise than I played around with expensive ammo to see which ones shot the best.

oh and dont worry about it not wanting to feed the first round in the clip. just rack the slide a few times. it will get better once the feed ramp breaks in a little. and hollow points will feed better than fmj's for some reason.

mine's a 239 in .357 love the extra insurance of a bottleneck cartridge designed to feed.