• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CDG in LA (Tips for build needed)

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
So i think I may have settled on a CDG from ARC as my "ELR" Entry gun. On reason is my plan to start with 300 PRC and then possibly switch to a 338 Style round (I see you 33XC), but if not, I've got a nice Long Action to play with.

There's a lot of chatter in the original CDG thread about setting up magazines and adjusting the mag latches and I was unsure how much was short action and what was long action.

There is also chatter about having to do fitting for the trigger hanger (a common thing even for things like impact, but I like to know ahead of time--surprises suck!)

What are the hiccups to watch out for when building a Long Action CDG--I tend to lean towards chassis so I don't have to mess with bedding. I would Like a Mag Fed for PRC at the start, even if that isn't kosher for ELR (ELR is my excuse to build the gun, I want a modern 30 Mag, I love my Win Mags).

Experiences and advice is welcome

Tagging to see where this goes.

I’ve got a CDG LA, a .308 barrel, and a .338 barrel. So not much farther along than you. They’ll be chambered in 300 PRC and 33XC.

Had to do a little dremel work to get it to fit in a KRG Bravo. Took me longer than it should’ve, but wasn’t bad. One thing I didn’t read about before I bought a trigger was the pivoting bolt handle and light trigger pulls.

I’ve only dealt with the SA but the biggest PITA was fitting the trigger hanger into my existing stocks/chassis. Adjusting the trigger hanger is super simple and very important to get the exact feel you want, just watch Ted’s video on how to do it.

Also I had to order the longer mag latch from ARC for the Xylo.

I've been kind of disappointed in my long action. I ordered a long action fluted bolt with a round bolt knob and a 535 bolt face.

after installing and adjusting the trigger, the bolt lift was much heavier than I had expected. After thinking about it for a while I switched out the bolt knob for a spare one I had off a different action. This added some length and much improved the bolt lift. According to my hillbilly testing methods, the bolt lift was 2.5 - 3 pounds lighter.

The next problem I ran into was with the magazine needing to be fitted. Now, I've only tried it in one stock. It's a manners ph with mini chassis and m5 bottom metal, so maybe a different stock/chassis might work better. There is a picture in the big thread somewhere that shows the feed ramp protruding into the cip length mags. I'm hoping version 2.0 gets that issue fixed. It's looking like in my current configuration this isn't going to be a problem for me, but I plan on getting a few different barrels, and this will become a problem that I will have to fix. I just don't think this action plays well with aics magazines, which puzzles me, because that's all I can find for the long action cartridges that I plan to use in this action. I think part of the problem is the oversized bolt. I tried filing the mag latch down, but the rounds would just face plant into the feed ramp. So my next attempt was to clearance the magazine lips allowing the magazine to sit higher without binding the oversized bolt. This did the trick and it now feeds like it should.

I built a CDG LA in 300 NM. Its got the newer trigger hanger design. I put a TT Diamond 2-stage on it and dropped the action into an MPA ESR chassis. Everything went together great. No dremel was needed for the trigger hanger or the chassis. MPA puts an adjustable mag latch on their chassis, but it came from the factory adjusted properly. CIP-length mags from AI latch and feed fine.

Reactions: AndyH
I built a CDG LA in 300 NM. Its got the newer trigger hanger design. I put a TT Diamond 2-stage on it and dropped the action into an MPA ESR chassis. Everything went together great. No dremel was needed for the trigger hanger or the chassis. MPA puts an adjustable mag latch on their chassis, but it came from the factory adjusted properly. CIP-length mags from AI latch and feed fine.
When was the newer trigger design added if I may ask--sorry sorting through that mega thread is rough--too m any hits on "trigger hanger"

When was the newer trigger design added if I may ask--sorry sorting through that mega thread is rough--too m any hits on "trigger hanger"
I want to say it was around September-October, but I'm not exactly sure. My short action has the first trigger hanger design and is from one of the very first lots. My long action has the newer trigger hanger; it was pre-ordered in May and shipped on 30 October.

The new hanger design has changes to the trigger pins and the shape of the hanger itself. On the first version, the trigger pins are pointed and ride in grooves in the action and the hanger is generally rectangular. The shape caused interference with some triggers' safety levers. I had to dremel out a notch on my SA hanger to fit a Geissele Super 700. On the new version the trigger pins are flush to the hanger. The hanger itself has nubs that ride in the action's groove, and it has a notch milled out where the safety lever rides.

Was about to make my own thread, but saw this and will piggy back:

Looking to get a long action receiver for target shooting. Am thinking of a long action ARC CDG as it has most of the features I want, I have a short action CDG coming soon (but tried other SA CDG before and liked them), and the LA Mausingfield, while not discontinued, won't be in production for at least the first half of this year if not much longer per what ARC told me. However, I want to see if there's anything else I'm over looking. Would like the following, in rough order of importance:

More important:
1. Mechanical instead of plunger ejection unless the plungers can be removed without tools (nothing that I can think of or have ever seen)
2. Interchangeable bolt face (or at least standard 540 magnum and larger 585 bolt face)
3. Accepts 3.85 CIP length AICS mag

Middle importance:
4. 60 or 70deg throw
5. Good prefit availibility
6. Not finnicky
7. Can single feed if needed

Not as important:
8. Integral rail and lugs
9. Minimal fitting / working to install

Would like to shoot out to about 1 mile or if possible, about 2000m. As of right now thinking of 7 or 300PRC, but this will be decided later. Don't plan on competing in anything like Ko1M or Ko2M, but may eventually go to an event just for the fun of it. Will not be used for hunting very much, if at all. Will not be built up any time soon, but would like to get receiver sometime in the first half of this year.

For factory actions, I tried an AI and MRAD and am not particularly interested. Would maybe consider a Sako TRG but don't like their current chassis. I saw that BAT is popular in BR and am not opposed to getting one, but not quite sure if it has what I want and the price is worth it for me. I liked the Terminus I tried a lot too but after after looking into it, bluntly put, with the way the economy and too many other things are right now, I'm a little worried about ordering from a 1 man operation.

Was about to make my own thread, but saw this and will piggy back:

Looking to get a long action receiver for target shooting. Am thinking of a long action ARC CDG as it has most of the features I want, I have a short action CDG coming soon (but tried other SA CDG before and liked them), and the LA Mausingfield, while not discontinued, won't be in production for at least the first half of this year if not much longer per what ARC told me. However, I want to see if there's anything else I'm over looking. Would like the following, in rough order of importance:

More important:
1. Mechanical instead of plunger ejection unless the plungers can be removed without tools (nothing that I can think of or have ever seen)
2. Interchangeable bolt face (or at least standard 540 magnum and larger 585 bolt face)
3. Accepts 3.85 CIP length AICS mag

Middle importance:
4. 60 or 70deg throw
5. Good prefit availibility
6. Not finnicky
7. Can single feed if needed

Not as important:
8. Integral rail and lugs
9. Minimal fitting / working to install

Would like to shoot out to about 1 mile or if possible, about 2000m. As of right now thinking of 7 or 300PRC, but this will be decided later. Don't plan on competing in anything like Ko1M or Ko2M, but may eventually go to an event just for the fun of it. Will not be used for hunting very much, if at all. Will not be built up any time soon, but would like to get receiver sometime in the first half of this year.

For factory actions, I tried an AI and MRAD and am not particularly interested. Would maybe consider a Sako TRG but don't like their current chassis. I saw that BAT is popular in BR and am not opposed to getting one, but not quite sure if it has what I want and the price is worth it for me. I liked the Terminus I tried a lot too but after after looking into it, bluntly put, with the way the economy and too many other things are right now, I'm a little worried about ordering from a 1 man operation.
Zermatt, all the way. The tl3 is awesome if you want the best, and the Origin does 97% as much for way less. Impact actions are always well respected but does not have a changeable bolt head.

If you want to shoot a mile+, don't look at anything under 300 prC, and even that is small for a dedicated ELR rig past a mile. Remember: ELR showing isn't just about having a bullet that will make it that far but it needs to have enough energy for you to see signature on misses.

.338 Norma is the way to go.

Also, Originally had mine in a MDT ACC chassis and it would not stay tight in the chassis. i ended have to cut a custom length screw. Once it came loose with the longer screw I then had to lock tight it into the action. I got rid of the MDT and put it in a Foundation and no more need for a custom length screw or lock tight. I dont think the aluminum is strong enough for the engery that the .532 casehead cartridges put out. Just my two cents.

Attachments

• .338 Norma Foundation.jpg
    .338 Norma Foundation.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 55
@bbhank What action is that? - also, PM inbound.

Considered a TL3, but didn't see options for bigger than a 535/540 bolt head. Guess I should call them to clarify this though.

.338 Norma is the way to go.

Also, Originally had mine in a MDT ACC chassis and it would not stay tight in the chassis. i ended have to cut a custom length screw. Once it came loose with the longer screw I then had to lock tight it into the action. I got rid of the MDT and put it in a Foundation and no more need for a custom length screw or lock tight. I dont think the aluminum is strong enough for the engery that the .532 casehead cartridges put out. Just my two cents.
What action inlet did you pick for that foundation? I’m about to order one and wasn’t sure which one to get!