• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CDI DBM + Rem 700 in 223 in HS Precision stock?

jtb33

Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
PHX, AZ - USA
So I have an HS Precision stock that has been inlet by CDI for a CDI DBM. My Remington 700 is a .223 and is stock. When I put the rifle in the stock and snug it down with the screws, it's as if it's missing some shims between the CDI DBM and the screws. The screws are normal length but protrude well past where they should and the DBM seems to be getting too close to the rifle mag for the bolt to close when a .223 AI mag is inserted. THe CDI DBM fits flush with the bottom of the stock.

Hope that all makes sense. I have a couple AICS stocks, but this is my first non-AICS stock for a bolt rifle that's magazine fed.

Any suggestions?

Re: CDI DBM + Rem 700 in 223 in HS Precision stock?

are you saying your screws are now too long? if so that is normal you need to cut them down

It's normal. I'm sure Jeff sent instructions. You just have to trim the bolts...

Jeff is GTG. I'm sure he will happily take you phone call and help you out with anything you need.
He installed a DBM for AI mags in my Tikka T3. There was a slight issue when it got back to me. He made it right extremely fast and paid shipping both ways.
Great CS.

Call before trimming anything. DBMs require the right spacing between them and the action, your screws may not be too long and from your description it might be that you need pillars to set the spacing between the DM setup and the action.

I appreciate all the replies. I don't think I described it very well, but jasonk is correct. The screw lengths are the same as on all my other Remington 700's in HS Precision stocks with stock Remington bottom metal. The DBM will fit flush with the stock and the action will fit and screw in, but since the part on the DBM where the screw heads go is recessed quite a bit, the rear screw on the action protrudes quite a bit beyond where it should so that the bot can't go in. Disregarding that, when I test-fit the .223 AI mag, it doesn't seat properly in the mag well, presumably because the action is too close to the DBM.

I guess that means that I need new pillars, which also probably means that the DBM won't fit quite flush to the bottom of the stock.

I'll take some pics in a few and post them.

I don't know. When I got mine I called him and said the screws may need to be trimmed...easy quick fix...maybe I misunderstood...?

Maybe it's not the DBM or stock at all. The Remington 700 in 223 is stock - does that need to be modified to allow the use of .223 AI magazines? I just assumed it didn't since my Remington 700's in 308 are also stock and didn't need to be modified, but maybe the .223's are different, or the combo with this stock/DBM is different...

Should be the same. The only difference is the boltface and mags...same dbm, stock, etc.

IMG_3159-1280.jpg

IMG_3160-1280.jpg

IMG_3161-1280.jpg

IMG_3162-1280.jpg

IMG_3163-1280.jpg

IMG_3164-1280.jpg

IMG_3165-1280.jpg

IMG_3166-1280.jpg

IMG_3168-1280.jpg

IMG_3169-1280.jpg

Here's a dumb question. Have you just tried a quick fix of putting some washers on the hex screws and torquing to spec? I would think you'd hit the rear action screw with the bolt if you try to cycle it in current condition.

I ask because you're saying you don't think it will feed. Do you absolutely know it won't? You will see similar results if you remove too much stock and don't put in enough bedding. That wouldn't apply because of the pillars for you, but I think I'd run a quick check

I just don't see how you could fix it any other way than trimming the bolts...

If you do anything with pillars it won't all fit right, the DBM won't set flush. Does the bolt hit in the chamber when you try to close it? If not maybe you need to swap bolts? I never can remember which is longer. I only had to trim the front one inside the action...

Yes, they will need to be sized, but that isn't the most concerning part for me. The biggest issue is that, installed properly, the magazine will not seat in the magwell. It bumps up against something in the bottom of the receiver.

Interesting... just tried an AICS 308 mag and it fit just fine. So something about the AI 223 mags, it appears. Ugh.

I spoke to Jeff at CDI. He told me that I should just need to trim the top of the mag release, or shim the underside of the bottom metal.