• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CDI Precision Bottom Metal and AW Magazine Compatability.

jakedubois7

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2018
I have Savage 10 Accutrigger, 4.4” Action Screw Hole Spacing, Top Bolt Release in a McMillan A5 inletted with CDI Precision Bottom Metal. It currently runs Magpul AICS Magazines but I was wondering if the Accuracy International AW Magazine will work in the CDI Precision Bottom Metal.

Thanks,

Jake

Attachments

• IMG_3344.jpeg
    IMG_3344.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 30
I have a savage with CDI but I have not tried AW mags. There should be no reason they don't fit, but thats not your problem. Someone may correct me but I don't believe the savage bolt will pick them up as its a two lug bolt. Even if it was, it may have issues feeding them.

I have a savage with CDI but I have not tried AW mags. There should be no reason they don't fit, but thats not your problem. Someone may correct me but I don't believe the savage bolt will pick them up as it’s a two lug bolt. Even if it was, it may have issues feeding them.
Welp, it looks like I’ll have to pick one up and see if it works.

Welp, it looks like I’ll have to pick one up and see if it works.
I would do a little google searching first. I know theres a big thread or two on here about AW vs AICS mags and I beleive the bolt design is the biggest factor, with feed ramps being second.

Worst case you just sell it on here if it doesn't, but I doubt it will. I only know of guy running them with 3 lug bolt designs. I may be wrong though.

Sadly it doesn’t work. As much as I want it to, there is no way for a positive “click” to take place in the magwell, nor are the rounds able to be picked up by the bolt.

Sadly it doesn’t work. As much as I want it to, there is no way for a positive “click” to take place in the magwell, nor are the rounds able to be picked up by the bolt.
The bottom metal is not your issue and neither is the 2 lug bolt head.

The feed slot and integral feed lips machined into the bottom of the receiver are not wide enough to allow the AW magazine lips to get anywhere close to the bolt path. AICS magazines were designed to fit their top/single stack round between most such BDL/internal box feed lips and they do this quite well. You would have to machine the bottom of your receiver and most would advise against that due to leaving very thin margins under the ejection port area.

The bottom metal is not your issue and neither is the 2 lug bolt head.

The feed slot and integral feed lips machined into the bottom of the receiver are not wide enough to allow the AW magazine lips to get anywhere close to the bolt path. AICS magazines were designed to fit their top/single stack round between most such BDL/internal box feed lips and they do this quite well. You would have to machine the bottom of your receiver and most would advise against that due to leaving very thin margins under the ejection port area.

and doing that, it would/could ultimately not allow my action to fit into my stock correct?

and doing that, it would/could ultimately not allow my action to fit into my stock correct?
Not correct.

Widening the bottom receiver cut in your action would not affect the stock fit at all. Your action would still fit in the stock and the bottom metal would still fit.

NOTE: Any brand of DBM style bottom metal has pillar height requirements that are non-negotiable. Each brand is designed to stand off an exact amount below the receiver in order for the magazine to position the top round at the correct point in space to allow feeding. Many peeps believe they can just get a pretty inlet for the footprint and all is well. I firmly believe ignoring the Z-axis spacing requirements is responsible for 90% or more of the users trying to bend mag lips and alter magazine latches to make their shit work.

We have to assume your stock was correctly altered for the CDI.

Still would not advise.

Reactions: linedrive301ft