• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing CDI Precision Savage DBM feeler...

ggarrett1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2008
Clarksville, VA
OK guys, I've been talking to Jeff at CDI Precision for the last couple of weeks about doing some bottom metal for the Savage folks. He's game for it, but we need at least 10 orders of the same action screw spacing for him to do it. For now we are looking at doing a run of DBM systems for the older short action staggerfeed models with the 4.275" action screw spacing (this should cover most rifles built from 1998 to 2005 and should still cover most current 223 & 204 caliber rifles). This bottom metal will accept the Accuracy International short action 308 mags AND the new Accuracy International 223 mags. Even more flexibility for the Savage platform! If we can get these done, then we'll look at doing the newer centerfeed models. Myself and another Hide member local to me are committed to this and have a donor rifle in hand to send down for fitting purposes as soon as we have enough interest. Therefore, we need at least 8 more guys willing to commit to this in order for Jeff to go ahead with the project. Final pricing should be the same as his other bottom metal systems, see www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com for pricing and pics of his other DBM systems. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I'm looking at getting this lined up for early to mid June timeframe at the latest, so you guys have plenty of time to decide. This is also around the time that the new 223 Accuracy International mags should be out (hint, hint for you 223 shooters!). If this sounds like something any of you Savage guys & gals would like to see happen, post up and let's get this ball rollin'! I will post any updates on here as we get further along in the process.

Pricing will be as follows (thanks Jeff!)

Bottom metal - $209 shipped
Bottom metal + 5 rd AI mag - $284 shipped
Bottom metal + 10 rd AI mag - $289 shipped
Inletting by CDI Precision - $60

223 mags should be pretty close to the same pricing, will advise on this as they are closer to being available.

Again, these are the specs we need for this run of bottom metal:

Savage short action (Models 10, 11, 12)
Staggerfeed blind magazine
4.275" action screw spacing

Please refrain from questions about the newer centerfeed models (4.400" action screw spacing) for now, they will be next & I'll put up a seperate thread for them when the time comes.

Thanks,
Gregg

I'll list screen names as they are received here, so if you're in let me know!

1. ggarrett1911
2. will67
3. aubie515
4. mattj
5. Wickedfish
6. Jim McDade
7. DFCMAJOR
8. mprtech
9. Nollid
10.jamesZ71
11.schweizer2008
12.Darkhorse6
13.1troubleshooter
14.shankster
15.SSW7
16.DogboneS
17.1troubleshooter
18.LongArm

Re: CDI Precision Savage DBM feeler...

Put me down for sure (and I really hope we get enough folks together to make this happen)!!

The *only* DBM option I'm aware of for the older staggered-feed savages is the vBull, and while it looks like (and by all accounts is) solid kit, CDI's price point is much better, and frankly I don't care for the aesthetics of the vBull.

...anybody with an older stagger-feed savage and any interest in having a DBM should be looking HARD at this!

-Matt

Matt, you're in. And a big +1 on the aesthetics of the vBull, looks a little too blocky for my taste. I'm hoping that we won't have too much trouble getting enough folks for this, just trying to open up another option for us Savage guys in a largely overlooked aftermarket segment... I know the demand is there on our end!

Gregg

Cool, thanks for trying to make this happen Gregg.

John, sent you a PM. Guys, I'm checking with Jeff on the inletting he offers and definite pricing on the whole deal (bottom metal, mag and inletting) if anyone's interested in doing it that way. Will update the top post as soon as I hear from him. I apologize for not thinking about the inletting beforehand, I knew the question would be asked... the only other option would be having a smith local to you inlet your stock after you receive the bottom metal. Just depends on whether you want to send your stock to Jeff or if you have someone local that is able (and you trust) to do it. I'll get an update ASAP folks!

Gregg

I wish I would have seen this before I ordered a vbull but its already at the smiths getting inletted the price is way better than the vbull I could have got 2 more mags for what I just paid

I can inlet for $60.. It would be an extra charge. U could buy my DBM, and a magazine(5 or 10 round) and have me inlet it for the same or less than any other unit on the market, hehe..;)

PRice is the sme as my other setups.. $209 for DBM, mags are $75(5 rnd) and $80(10 Rnd), and inletting is $60.00

There ya go fellas, straight from the horse's mouth! Thanks Jeff, I'll edit my original post to reflect this as well.

Gregg

Jeff, I think once these are made and advertised on the Savage forums (if there is a Savage forum) it will really take off. I mean the only other game in town is the VBull, and its way more expensive than yours. So I think you should make it even if it doesnt hit the #10 mark.

Just my .02c

Also, keep in mind that all the savage shooters are not on the Hide, there are a lot of them out there that would love to get your DBM if they knew about it. You only have to get the word out somehow.

Count me in man. I just spent two weeks trying to make a DBM and I totally give up. I look forward to another fine product for a Savage.

That makes the 10 we need! If more folks are interested & want to get in on this run then keep the responses coming and I'll continue with the list as needed. Thanks to everyone and we'll see about getting the ball rolling here in the next couple of weeks. I'll post updates as we go along!

Gregg

Sweet, thanks Gregg. Will stay tuned for details!

Still waiting for the Savage long action bottom metal and mags..

-X

Put me in too! I am just in the process of building a 223 savage and this is just what I was looking for! When do we need to send money?

Looks like this thing is finally taking off.

Darkhorse, thanks for the interest! No need to worry about sending anything just yet, it'll probably be another week or so before we send Jeff the donor rifle. I'm going to talk to him Friday and get a good timeframe together and let everyone know what's up. I'll update this as soon as I talk to him. 1troubleshooter & shankster, you're added & I appreciate your interest too!

Gregg

Gregg, Could you please put my name down for the bottom metal.

This should fit nicely.

Cheers,

If this works for the .308 as well as the .223, put me in for one.

OK, DogboneS added to the list. Thanks!

Talked to Jeff today and here's the deal... we're trying to find out if the screw spacing is the ONLY difference between the staggerfeed & centerfeed Savages. If so, we're talking about making the bottom metal with a little extra length where the forward action screw goes so you could locate the screw in either position for the different screw spacing. This would eliminate waiting for a second run to do the centerfeed rifles altogether and we could kill both birds with one stone, so to speak. Jeff and I are going to do some checking on this over the weekend and the first of the week and will advise as soon as we know something definite on this. Also appears that the 223 AI mags will be late June or early July on availability, so the 308 based rifles will be the first ones out the gate. If any of you guys on the list have 223's and want this bottom metal, just be advised that the mags will be the holdup on these. After we find out if we can make the DBM to fit both screw spacings, I think Jeff will open a group buy thread for the 308 based DBM's soon. Either myself or Jeff will update the first part of next week for further info!

I'm debating switching out the factory DBM on my mod 10 fcp. It has the new screw spacing. I'm definitely watching with interest.

LM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggarrett1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Talked to Jeff today and here's the deal... we're trying to find out if the screw spacing is the ONLY difference between the staggerfeed & centerfeed Savages. If so, we're talking about making the bottom metal with a little extra length where the forward action screw goes so you could locate the screw in either position for the different screw spacing. This would eliminate waiting for a second run to do the centerfeed rifles altogether and we could kill both birds with one stone, so to speak. Jeff and I are going to do some checking on this over the weekend and the first of the week and will advise as soon as we know something definite on this.</div></div>

Are there any updates on this?

1troubleshooter added, thank you sir! Kyshooter, I'll be talking to him tommorrow, so hopefully I'll have an update for everyone then. Sorry for the delayed response fellas, I'm in the middle of moving to a new pad, so I've been without internet access for the past week & had to wait till I got back to work tonight to get on here. Will post update ASAP!

Gregg

10-4 LongArm I'll add ya to the list up top... Thanks!

I called Jeff last night hoping to catch him in the shop, but missed him. I'll catch up with him tommorrow and update accordingly. The bottom metal is a definite go & I for one am really hoping we can make it fit both screw spacings, as I have both versions waiting for a DBM system myself! Keep your fingers crossed...

Gregg

My fingers are crossed for the new screw spacing.

I'm also wondering if CDi sells AICS mags with the front spacer already removed.

I can remove the front spacer. I just leave the hole there(its a pain to weld em up and I have a junk welder.)

I will do both hole spacings, even if the DBM is totally different.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can remove the front spacer. I just leave the hole there(its a pain to weld em up and I have a junk welder.)

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">I will do both hole spacings, even if the DBM is totally different.</span></span>
wink.gif

</div></div>

To clarify; both will be offered this time around?

marked for later, I have a buddy interested in this and will let him know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THE largest Savage forum is savage shooters dot com </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">FYI</span>

I posted a link on savageshooters.com

CDI MAG
LongArm

what if you cut a tapered oval and off center drilled a matching plug

(0 ) short ( 0) long
bottom metal ( )

reversing it fits short and long spacing??

I have the center feed I think 5 round blind mag in the stock.

jamesz71, sent you a PM.
BadBot, yes that's a centerfeed.

OK fellas, here's the latest. Jeff's just about ready to go on these but we haven't gotten a definite answer on the screw spacing being the ONLY difference yet. As he stated though, he'll do both spacings even if they have to be totally different. He's going to start a group buy thread for these soon, so have your cash ready as these will need to be prepaid up front so he doesn't get stuck with a bunch of DBM's for nothing. Again, we'll need the 308 based guns first, as the 223 mags will be out in late June/ early July and will be the holdup on those DBM's. If anybody wants to go ahead and prepay now, contact Jeff and he'll set you up on the "official list".

We will be needing a staggerfeed 308 with a decent stock (McMillan, HS Precision, Manners etc.) for the donor rifle to be sent to him. I have a couple of 223's lined up to send, but since the mags won't be out in time kinda put a kink in that plan. So, any of y'all got a rifle you're willing to send, let me or Jeff know and we can get it to him. The faster that happens the faster he can get them out of course. I'll touch base with him tommorrow to see if he wants a centerfeed 308 as well, it may help to have both rifles in hand to see if there's any difference other than the screw spacing. I'll see what he says on that and let y'all know the deal ASAP.

This will be out of my hands pretty quickly, so I'd like to express how much I appreciate the support & feedback on this deal, guys! We'll finally have another quality option on DBM systems for our Savages VERY soon!!!

Gregg

I just talked to Jeff and prepaid. I offered to send him my 10FLP. Its an older staggerfeed. Its the same as a 10FP just left handed. The orientation makes no difference for the DBM. I also will send him my Bell and Carleson Medalist. Sounds like a good guy, lets all get him some dough to get this rolling.