• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing CDI Savage Stagger-Feed DBM review

mattj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2007
Seattle, WA
A member saw a pic of my new CDI DBM setup and asked my opinion of it via PM. I ended up writing what amounted to a fairly complete review, so I thought I would post it (slightly edited) for all to read:

This is a review of the CDI Precision stagger-feed DBM system, which uses AICS mags. It is installed in my older stagger-feed (4.275" action screw spacing) Savage 10FP .308 in a McMillan A3 stock.

Jeff (CDI) did the inletting. He received the stock from me on a Friday, and shipped it out to me on Monday!

The bottom metal fits in there tight and solid. It's recessed up into the inlet of the McM a bit (see pictures) -- the only thing that bothers me about it is the white of the unfinished fiberglass where material was removed for the inlet, but some Krylon can quickly remedy that. Jeff's inletting job was very precise, there is very little gap between the bottom metal and the side of the inletted region all the way around the DBM. When you look at the pics below, keep in mind that this particular stock started out as a blind mag setup, so the inletting was done into what used to be a completely solid stock bottom.

The only minor issue I had was that both the front action screw I already had and the one that Jeff provided were a tad long. When it was screwed all the way down it stuck up into the action area just enough that I couldn't cam the bolt closed. I just used a dremel and shaved 1/8" or so off of the screw and all was good.

The mag is a tiny bit wobbly when inserted (though slightly less so when there are rounds in the mag to push up on the bolt) -- though I see zero danger of it coming out without hitting the lever. It just rattles around in the magwell a bit if you shake it. If you do depress the release lever, the mag drops away freely.

I haven't actually gotten to the range with it yet, but it cycled loaded rounds (firing pin removed :)) flawlessly. For me, it is approximately 1000% times better than the blind mag setup I had before, which sucked (once spent an entire 3 minute stage at a tactical shoot trying to dig the damn rounds out of the thing after the first round failed to feed and got stuck down in the mag box -- this was the first time I ever employed a multi-tool during a live stage. Immediately afterwards I swore to get a DBM!). I honestly think it is going to be pretty bombproof setup as far as feeding goes -- AICS mags rock, and the DBM puts the mags right where they need to be to do their job.

All and all, I'm insanely pleased with this setup -- it's like having a new gun. If you have a stagger-feed savage and decide to pull the trigger on this bottom metal, I'd be very surprised if you are disappointed.
smile.gif

-Matt

Update (8/23):
Got out to the range today, and the verdict is that I LOVE this new setup. The blind box that I had before was so unreliable that I had stopped using it altogether. I put about 70 rounds down range feeding from the magazine today -- including a 10-round rapid fire string (as fast as I could work the bolt/re-acquire/hit the bottom of my breath), and every single round fed flawlessly. I'm not sure if there was any POI change due to the DBM installation as I just mounted this particular scope -- but it had no noticeable effect on the accuracy of the gun.

DSC_4433.jpg

DSC_4436.jpg

DSC_4437.jpg

Re: CDI Savage Stagger-Feed DBM review

Thanks for a great writeup...IT does look good. You can recolor the stock areas with Black Krylon and a qtip.. I didn't have any qtips so I didn't do it. On those black stocks, they can be reshaped a little also on the bottom and repainted to look nice..:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for a great writeup...IT does look good. You can recolor the stock areas with Black Krylon and a qtip.. I didn't have any qtips so I didn't do it. On those black stocks, they can be reshaped a little also on the bottom and repainted to look nice..:)
</div></div>

Thanks for the Q-tip tip. I would have done something less.. delicate
wink.gif

Sounds like a great setup. Can't wait for mine to arrive, I have the same rifle, but with a B&C Medalist. Please let us know how she shoots.

Pete

Hey Matt, nice stik. Jeff inletted my BC Medalist yesterday.
Love the fit and function. I have the same optic on my Sav.
when I complete the build.
Good shooting

Regards

Mark

Hi guys. Updated the original post with results of my trip to the range. Summary: Big thumbs up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What stock is that?</div></div>

Reading is fundamental.

From the FIRST POST:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is installed in my older stagger-feed (4.275" action screw spacing) Savage 10FP .308 <span style="font-weight: bold">in a McMillan A3 stock</span>.</div></div>

Ive got a manners stock that will be going to CDI here in a week or so when it comes in. When I talked to CDI the other day in reference to B&C, and HS precision stocks the labor cost was $65 for the in letting and the bottom metal was $209. I dont know if that is the case for all brands and styles stocks but that is at least a ballpark figure. Just call CDI if your wanting a quote.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 667</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What were the costs involved? </div></div>