• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CDNN SPR Action - DBM or floorplate?

Cartman

Bird Dogging Expert
Minuteman
May 5, 2007
NunYo SoCal
May or may not eventually add CDI bottom metal. Will be going on McMillan stock.

Any considerations why you may or may not want to go one way or the other?

Re: CDNN SPR Action - DBM or floorplate?

Hey I have LOOK LOOK!!!! Stock and action..

Well it doesnt matter, whatever one will sell then. FLoor plate is what I have.

I switched mine to floor plate and have no regrets. The DBM sucks anyway and it only holds 4 rounds.

Get the floorplate version. Upgrade to the CDI later. FN mags are expensive, hard to come by, and only hold 4 rounds.

I'm kinda agreeing w\ the guys mine is the dbm in a a-3-5. I don't know if I would like the floorplate at all though, but the mags required a little fitting to work good. I stoned just under the catch in the rear and rounded over the lips with a .25" square ceramic stone. Now mine are o.k. but I'd like a more positive click when they're in position. I've got 5 mags so I'm in so deep I'll probably keep what I got. I'll probably play around with them till I improve them or trash them beyond repair. either way I'll keep ya posted. Hope this helps you decide.

FN mags are less than half the cost of AI mags, they work flawlessly, and are quite easy to get ahold of.

How many more rounds than 4 do you really need, especially if your not running matches where higher capacity is helpful.

I have all 3 setups. All 3 work. All 3 are useful.

If you want/need 10 round capacity, CDI is your answer.

You can top off with the floorplate, but not the FN DBM right?

Also, any issue with the mags keeping length below what one might like to have the bullet touch the lands when chambered?

depends on the caliber and what bullets it is throated for, standard 308 throating with 150 or larger bullet and you should be fine with either system.

Having owned several examples of all 3 mag setups mentioned, I see it like this.

The CDI system rocks. Takes a little tweaking to get everything right, but once done (and nothing difficult about it) you end up with a FLAWLESS 11 rd mag set-up. (The mags as modified almost always hold an extra round).

The FN drop mag is OK. 4 rds not enough for matches with 10 rd timed stages. Mags feed fine, but the mag release SUCKS makes for a difficult fast blind mag change. Plus the floor of the mag tends to slip off.

The HFP would be my initial choice. IIRC it is a Williams, is stout as hell, and functions great. If you upgrade to CDI the HFP fetches a GREAT price on the resale market while the BDM sells for scrap metal prices! Finally the HFP stock does not have the butchered front action hole like the DBM. Makes for much simpler pillar bedding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having owned several examples of all 3 mag setups mentioned, I see it like this.

The CDI system rocks. Takes a little tweaking to get everything right, but once done (and nothing difficult about it) you end up with a FLAWLESS 11 rd mag set-up. (The mags as modified almost always hold an extra round).

The FN drop mag is OK. 4 rds not enough for matches with 10 rd timed stages. Mags feed fine, but the mag release SUCKS makes for a difficult fast blind mag change. Plus the floor of the mag tends to slip off.

The HFP would be my initial choice. IIRC it is a Williams, is stout as hell, and functions great. If you upgrade to CDI the HFP fetches a GREAT price on the resale market while the BDM sells for scrap metal prices! Finally the HFP stock does not have the butchered front action hole like the DBM. Makes for much simpler pillar bedding. </div></div>

That was outstanding, thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">depends on the caliber and what bullets it is throated for, standard 308 throating with 150 or larger bullet and you should be fine with either system. </div></div>

That is nonsense. I cannot fit rounds loaded to the lands in my fixed magazine, and the DBM is no better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">depends on the caliber and what bullets it is throated for, standard 308 throating with 150 or larger bullet and you should be fine with either system. </div></div>

That is nonsense. I cannot fit rounds loaded to the lands in my fixed magazine, and the DBM is no better. </div></div>

Are you reading the same thread? This is a discussion about an action--not a barrelled action--which necessarily means that the chamber has not yet been cut.

Ignore DZ's response--as it is shortsighted and simply wrong. If this were a discussion about a factory chambered SPR, then he may have a point. diggler44 is 100% correct.

Provided your smith is using a quality match reamer (I believe the one used for my current 308 is referred to as a "95 Palma") then you will have no problem mag feeding with any of the 3 mag systems at issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">depends on the caliber and what bullets it is throated for, standard 308 throating with 150 or larger bullet and you should be fine with either system. </div></div>

That is nonsense. I cannot fit rounds loaded to the lands in my fixed magazine, and the DBM is no better. </div></div>

Are you reading the same thread? This is a discussion about an action--not a barrelled action--which necessarily means that the chamber has not yet been cut.

Ignore DZ's response--as it is shortsighted and simply wrong. If this were a discussion about a factory chambered SPR, then he may have a point. diggler44 is 100% correct.

Provided your smith is using a quality match reamer (I believe the one used for my current 308 is referred to as a "95 Palma") then you will have no problem mag feeding with any of the 3 mag systems at issue. </div></div>

Does your custom match chamber hit the lands at 2.820"? That's awfully damn short.

If it does, I need a new barrel. It would be rather cool to be able to hit the lands from a stock fixed magazine in my rifle.

OAL With Berger 168 VLDs with .005" jam is 2.846"---which would fit in a stock mag (barely). 168 smk, 175 smk and 155 Lapua--are all shorter bullets and would mag feed with ease.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OAL With Berger 168 VLDs with .005" jam is 2.846"---which would fit in a stock mag (barely). 168 smk, 175 smk and 155 Lapua--are all shorter bullets and would mag feed with ease. </div></div>

That's pretty bad ass. I think my magazine is about 2.840".

How long are the detachable mags?