• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CED M2 Chrony??

Re: CED M2 Chrony??

I take it you've never had any of the Shooting Chrony models in your hands before. The CED is a Rolls Royce compared to those things.

The CED is functional, durable, easy to assemble, reads in poor light, and most of all, very accurate.

What were you expecting?

They are awesome... Let the battery get weak and it will go haywire... Keep a fresh battery in it!

(1) I was diappointed in the cheaply made folding screen holder bracket, it broke in two. I fixed that problem with making a permanent steel one.

(2) It doesnt come with a aux power jack either, a 9V battery doesnt last long. I fixed that problem too.

(3) The speaker/sound option was a neat feature though it quit working after a couple of weeks of use.

(4) I run mine 95% indoors with the IR screens and probably average a shot error 1 out of 10 shots.

(5) It does have a large easy to see display.
wink.gif

el gordo2(4) I run mine 95% indoors with the IR screens and probably average a shot error 1 out of 10 shots.[/quote said:
El gordo,

What is your lighting source inside? It is not recommended to run the IR screens AND another light source. If they are florescent, then you will have lots of errors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I take it you've never had any of the Shooting Chrony models in your hands before. The CED is a Rolls Royce compared to those things.</div></div>

The most true statement on here!!! I'll sell you mine now- if you want it!

The CED M2 does look like a cheap POS, though...

The display on the one I got rattled - something loose in there.
One of the plastic screen holders broke the first time out.
Plus all the folding and assembly needed to set it up was a pain.
(it comes in 10 pieces)

Just my $.02

I did have the Oehler 35. Im sure I will grow to like it.
A few weeks ago some worthless pile of shit cut a hole in the back of my shop. They took my press, chargemaster, 10-10 scale, prep center, all my bullets the Oehler too. That wasnt all. Still replacing and still finding things that are missing. A lot of dollars that I dont have right now to replace it

Sorry to hear of your loss Ted. I've used the 35P, the Competition Electronics, the Chrony, and now the CED. The CED's quick setup IMO is an advantage over the 35P. It has worked for me 100% in crappy AM and PM light. The readings appear to be dead nuts on. Not a single shot missed so far in 3 sessions. As far as ease of use, I've yet to crack the manual, neither for setup or for using the controller. I don't miss the printer, plus if you are real anal about it you can hook it up to a laptop, something the 35P I don't think supports.

Give it a chance and see if it endears you.

Some day JohnAE308 and I will put the CED and the 35P in line and compare the results.

Oh and don't put it too close to the muzzle - for sure that will mess with the readings. Stretch the cords out.

I wish the M2 had the IR printing like the older models!

I can't count the number of times I have my chrono at the range and somebody wants to put a few thru it! It's nice to be able to toss the HP IR printer on the bench and print them their velocity's and info.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some day JohnAE308 and I will put the CED and the 35P in line and compare the results.</div></div>

I compared mine to a friends Ohler (placed them in line). The Ohler read slightly higher than the CED, but the numbers were very consistent shot to shot.

I've owned a Competition Electronics, still have a PACT and have used a couple of different Chronys. Just no comparasion. The only error I've experience was caused by a low battery.

I have to put a fresh 9 volt in mine every outing or I will not get reliable readings with the same loads from outing to outing.
I also put my screens out in front as far as the wires will allow me to get the most reliable readings.
Mine can also be fussy about lighting issues (mine is standard no IR's). I have pretty well figured out what it takes to get good readings out of it now. It was frustrating for a while.

I did readings again this evening. North facing range, 5:30 PM with an 8p sunset, so relatively low sun angle with broken clouds.

18 readings, all in the ranges expected, 100% of shots read.

Love my CED M2.

Wow, all the trash talk about the shooting chrony, lol. My shooting chrony gamma master works great, never a problem with it. The printer kicks all kinds of ass also.

No trash, just observations. I watched a chrony clock 175s from a .308 in excess of 3k.

IMO Chronys are a bit like 3 inch 1911s; they either work or they don't.

Well I put together and its not as cheap looking. Plastic yes but looks cool. My wife shoots a 7mm-08 90% of the time and a 280 the rest. I start at the 300 Win Mag and go up to a 375 Utra. I have smaller and larger but never shoot them. Hopefully I can find a tripod today and try it out