• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cell Networks Down?

If it was atmospheric it wouldn't just be att and Verizon. It would be everybody including tmobile and other parts of the em spectrum. @Gunfighter14e2 response to this is right.
I'm leaning that direction myself. The strange part in my area was some att customers had service and some didn't. I saw back in the thread where someone had mentioned having an outdated phone may have prevented the outage for some. One guy at work that had service has a brand new iPhone. Only had it a couple weeks. Then there's the reports all over of peoples phone doing weird stuff without having service. Somebody was poking around.

Had nothing from sometime in the night to 11am, only info I could get was from am radio on the drive to work. Was hearing reports of only 70k people didn't have service which I call bs on.

After seeing how quickly society broke down in the mpls riots I threw the ar in the trunk.

Reactions: BurtG
I thought it was just my phone. I looked up in the sky saw a passenger jet go over figured everything was ok and went on pulling stumps out the ground.

Then somebody better tell all the T1 customers across the country!

If your carrier is still using T1 I’d be shocked. You could do essentially zero data and you’d likely still be using GSM. Maybe a low bandwidth CDMA.

We went to fiber to cell site in 2013, with the other carrier right behind us. The bandwidth required has grown exponentially since that time. The fiber services (mostly ATT in the south) can’t keep up with the demand. They held up hundreds, maybe thousands of bandwidth upgrade saying they couldn’t get the SFPs 🤔. Maybe, but COVID was used to blame a lot of fuckery.

The customer would probably be shocked if they knew just how much all the carriers depend on one another. Anyone remember the Christmas bombing in Nashville ? Tells you everything you need to know about backhaul planning.

If your carrier is still using T1 I’d be shocked. You could do essentially zero data and you’d likely still be using GSM. Maybe a low bandwidth CDMA.

We went to fiber to cell site in 2013, with the other carrier right behind us. The bandwidth required has grown exponentially since that time. The fiber services (mostly ATT in the south) can’t keep up with the demand. They held up hundreds, maybe thousands of bandwidth upgrade saying they couldn’t get the SFPs 🤔. Maybe, but COVID was used to blame a lot of fuckery.

The customer would probably be shocked if they knew just how much all the carriers depend on one another. Anyone remember the Christmas bombing in Nashville ? Tells you everything you need to know about backhaul planning.
Yup yup. Most sites are 1g minimum many are 10g, some even more.

Reactions: FatBoy
Yup yup. Most sites are 1g minimum many are 10g, some even more.

I’m hesitant to say much more about this in an open forum, but I do not see how a solar flare would do this. I get if it was some sort of freq specific event but not at where this thing supposedly hit and across multiple carries running likely a half dozen 5+ MHZ separate bands carrier aggregated together. This was something at a Central Office that had national nodes impacted.

IMO, this solar flare narrative is bullshit. That said, I’m not an electrical engineer or a weather scientist. I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night so take my shit for what it is…