• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

center of scope to center of rifle bore

Lowholer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2017
How critical is this measurement ? my
ballistic app ask for it and I can get within 1/16 th of an in just wondering if that is close enough for long range shooting 600 to 1000 yrds
Thanks for your help Rick

If you ever wonder how much a certain input matters, just enter different scenarios into it and look at the changes.

Reactions: rydah and davsco
1/16”? How are you putting that into your calculator?

I use a cheap caliper and round to the nearest .1 and get hits all day long, lights out, as long as I do my part, etc. etc.

Don’t overthink this.

Thank You guys I am new to this with lots of ? and lots to learn.
Rick

Use a dial caliper...or a digital caliper.
1) Take your bolt out of your rifle and measure the diameter. Divide this number by 2 and write it down.
2) Measure your scope body outer diameter. Divide this number by 2 and write it down.
3) Place the bolt back in the rifle and close the bolt. Measure the distance from the top of the bolt to the bottom of the scope and write that number down.
4) Add those 3 numbers together and you have your center of bore to center of scope about as accurate as you are ever going to get and as accurate as you will ever need. It will be much closer than 1/16".

The ballistic apps are great and I use them but nothing beats actually pulling the trigger and writing down the results under all sorts of conditions, rain, cold, hot, uphill, downhill, on top of the mountain, down in the canyon.

If you hate math, there's always this option.

Measure from the center of your ring gap to the vent hole if it's a Remington action.

20211015_104002.jpg

That's your number.

And yes, those are UTG rings and they are fantastic for under $60.

They belong to this rifle.

20211015_104403.jpg

Close enough is close enough.
Now ask about whether sloped bases/mounts matter. 😉

Okay, I'll ask the question.
Do they matter?

I've always wondered if it does.

Where do you measure with a sloped base?
Front ring?
Rear ring?
Split the difference....?

I've never bothered to check it and maybe that's why the only rifle that ever lined up correctly was my 8t 6-BR with zero MOA bases...

I didn't have to mess with velocity or BC for it to line up. 🙂

It gets shot out to 1200 so I don't need extra elevation with the XRS-2 on top.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Okay, I'll ask the question.
Do they matter?

I've always wondered if it does.

Where do you measure with a sloped base?

Say 5.7” front of rail to back.
20MOA = .3333 degrees (repeating, of course)
Tan(.33333) = Delta height/5.7
.00582*5.7 = .0332

If the mechanical housing is in the middle, and you measure at the front or back, you’re off by half of that, so .017”…. should you care? No, not really.

Reactions: Baron23
Say 5.7” front of rail to back.
20MOA = .3333 degrees (repeating, of course)
Tan(.33333) = Delta height/5.7
.00582*5.7 = .0332

If the mechanical housing is in the middle, and you measure at the front or back, you’re off by half of that, so .017”…. should you care? No, not really.

Too much math that involves names, letters parenthesis, formulas and whatnot. 🤪🤪
I'm 40 years out of high school and never used all of that stuff, so it's Greek to me and probably a lot of others.

If I had to guess where it counts, I'd measure at the turrets and call it good.

I usually measure to the rear side of the front ring, input the data and go shooting.

I zero best that I can and true as I go out.
I still have all my hair, so it must work okay. 😉

Greg, what are your observations?