• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Center Point 8-32 X 56 mil-dot

old paul

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Northern Ohio
I am thinking about buying one of these and putting it on a 223 Savage for 100+ yard paper and some ground hogs. Any guidance would help. If I buy it, it will be before the end of the week.
Thanks
Paul

Re: Center Point 8-32 X 56 mil-dot

i have 2 4-16x on two rimfires, .22lr and a .22 mag. i know they are completely different models, but for the price i paid for mine they are quite clear, have many desireable features, return and keep a zero well. used them in heat, cold, rain, ice and snow, no problems in the last 4 years.

i guy at the range has a 4-16 also to put on stuff to see if he likes the rifle, then gets the top shelf optics for his stuff if he wants to keep it. his has been on .3006, .308, .223, etc., he hasn't had a problem with it.

if you do get it, please post results or PM me on what you think of it, i'm very pleased with the "walmart" model, would like to see how the "better" models do.

I have never heard of these nor used one but I would be very skeptical until it's got a reputation you could draw from, good or bad. Tell us your price range and we could point you in the best direction.

Many manufacturers are puting Mil-dot into their lineup just because it sells to the be cool crowd.

You want the best glass and quality you can afford, and that will reward you for as long as you shoot it.

Don't knock good used inexpensive scopes like Luepold,Redfield, Tasco Super Sniper (SS) and a few others. These can be had for a relatively affordable price and you will be able to resale for a similar price if you take great care of it while it's in your possesion.
.......SmokeRolls

Also, I wouldn't recommend that much magnification to do what you described. I would go no greater than 15 power max and a 3x9x40 will perform perfectly for groundhogs and paper for the 223 or even the 22-250.
One thing to consider, the greater the magnification the greater the light requirement is. When it's early in the morning and later in the evening that super high powered scope doesn't function as well as a lower powered scope.
And an inexpensive scope that is high magnification is practically useless when light starts to wane.
An example: On my 17HMR I have a Simmons 44 mag scope that is like 6.5x22x44 with a one inch tube and it works great thru the daylight hours but once light starts to disapear I might as well put it up.....Can't see much. All my higher quality scopes like leupys and NF still do well but higher magnification still suffers quicker and I did not even go into talking about mirage which higher magnification makes worse.
.....Have fun.......SmokeRolls