• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Central California Pig Hunting - Hide Members

10generation

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
California
All,

I'm planning a pig hunt with my son in the Paso Robles area (central CA, midway between SF and LA) and doing my research got me thinking about negotiating a group rate.

One idea would be to put together a hunt on a specific weekend in the spring (little late to plan a hunt this year). Could be fun....and maybe a logistical pain.

Other idea would be to go to one of the better known hunting ranches and negotiate a group buy - have members buy a hunt to use within a year of purchase and get a good deal by bringing hide members together to purchase at one time. Could maybe even bring in some of the Calguns members if we needed more participation for a better rate.

Typical hunt pricing, not a group rate, is around $600-$700 for a two day hunt - they skin and clean the game. You cover lodging, ammo (lead free), bring your license and tag, get your meat processed, etc.

Curious to see how many of us are out west, might be interested in either of the above. Please post a reply or pm me and let me know. After a few days, I'll come back and let people know what I hear.

If I posted this in the wrong place, let me know.

Re: Central California Pig Hunting - Hide Members

I might be interested, depending on rate and when the hunt will take place. I'm PCSing back to the East Coast in early March. I'd also be much more interested in Hide members than Calguns members, but that's just me.

Do you have a Guide picked out already?

Have not picked one out. There are several good operations in the area.

I agree, hide members would be first choice.

I'm not pushing this idea, just curious to see if anyone interested.

In March I took my 12 year old son on a guided pig hunt with Tom Willoughby. The guy is a fantastic guide, has lots of ranches he leases the hunting rights on and is totally honest. I plan to hunt with Tom again
I have made a full time living for 30 years as a Guide in Alaska and Africa and am very critical of other guides! I do not recommend a guide very often. I highly recommend Tom Willoughby
If the time works out and you guys choose Tom I would be interested in joining you

I'll let you know about how Indian valley Ranch is after Thanksgiving. My Bride won a guided hunt through them, so we are headed down during break (she's a teacher). it'll be neat to go see old friends (1 hour from SLO).

I would like to hunt with hide members if the date works out.
Spring break when my boy is out of school would be nice.

Tom the guide my son hunted with last spring his phone number is 831-808-4781.

BigBoarStopper on Calguns is a great guide in that area. I have hunted with him once and have a few buddies that have hunted with him several times. He runs dogs or rifle hunts, your choice. It was warm weather when I hunted with him in June. We only ran the dogs in the morning and then rifle hunted the evenings. I may be hunting with him in November.

I have heard a lot of great things about Tom. I will check in with him. Overall, interest has been limited, so probably not a great opportunity for a group buy.