• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Central Cascade Precision Rifle Course Review

XOR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Oregon
<span style="font-weight: bold">Central Cascade Precision Rifle April 2010 Review</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Synopsis</span>

An outstanding new school and great resource for shooters in the Pacific NW and beyond.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Instructors</span>

Central Cascade Precision is a new school in the Pacific NW established by Caylen Wojcik. His credentials are impressive and consist of USMC Scout/Sniper with active deployment to the Middle East. He also served as a Scout/Sniper and marksmanship instructor for the USMC Scout/Sniper School.

For the inaugural course Caylen also had guest instructor Billy “Shep” Shepperson, owner of Long Range International. Billy is also former USMC Scout/Sniper who served overseas in combat along with Caylen. The course had six students registered, which gave us an incredible 3:1 student instructor ratio.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Classroom Lecture</span>

The first day of training was in a classroom setting. Classes began with basic rifle nomenclature and each shooter was encouraged to place their safe and unloaded rifles on the table in front of them so the instructors could describe in detail the various operational aspect of each weapon.

Next was an in-depth description of scope optics. This included basic scope theory, reticles, turrets, Mils and MOA differences, parallax, focusing issues, bullet drop compensators, accuracy issues in ranging reticles, eye relief, first vs. second focal plane and need for high quality, rugged and repeatable adjustments.

Along with proper position, we went into rifle fit to the shooter. Descriptions of common issues relating to reticle cant, stock length, cheek rest height, etc. were covered. Shooters were placed in prone with their rifles and students and instructors double checked shooting position and eye height. Students were shown how to determine proper cheek weld height to place the eye on axis with the scope. Students then, if needed, built their own cheekrest with commonly available components such as foam and duct tape. On rifles like the Remington 700 this small change made a large difference in comfort for shooters using the factory stock.

Rifle length and eye relief were also double checked along with an exercise to ensure the scope reticle was in perfect focus. Instructors checked each rifle individually as well to ensure the reticle was straight.

After a brief lunch, we covered the basics of proper shooting positions to include use of bone support, muscle relaxation, natural point of aim, and the “Five Factors of Shooting Positions.” This included correct placement of the stock, proper stock weld, placement of shooting and non-shooting hands and elbows.

Following this was additional coverage of the prone shooting position with bipod support. Emphasis was placed on solid body position straight behind the rifle, straight spine, flat feet, proper trigger and support hand position, use of a rear sand bag and a relaxed eye position behind the rear of the scope, etc. All students went behind their rifles and fellow classmates and instructors each critiqued and corrected errors.

Next was detailed instruction into marksmanship fundamentals including the basics of sight alignment, sight picture, breathing, trigger control, follow-through and calling the shot. Also was another deeper view into the workings of scope optics and proper operation of elevation and windage turrets and the dangers of not correcting for parallax when changing ranges.

Continuing further we covered MOA and Mil ranging and adjustments and doing proper conversions between the two methods. This led into a comprehensive overview of external ballistics, come-ups, air density, weather conditions and other factors that affect bullet flight.

Wrapping the day up we finally covered “cold bore” shots. Which really means the difference shooting from a freshly cleaned bore vs. one that is fouled and the importance of knowing how your rifle reacts to shooting from a clean bore vs. one that is dirty.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Shooting Range</span>

The next three days were spent in the field. The shooting range was located around 30 minutes outside Yakima on a large piece of privately owned ranch land. The range consisted of rolling hills with sage brush, grass and ponderosa pines. The weather was a perfect 70 during the day with dusty conditions on the ground. Wind ranged from mild to gusty over 10MPH by the late afternoon. The range itself was intersected by several small cuts in the hills and this led to interesting wind conditions.

One aspect of the range I really enjoyed is that the firing lines were variable. Instead of shooting from the same position each day, we found ourselves facing entirely different directions. Just when you thought you’d mastered the wind and ranging from one day of firing, you’d find that the next day you would be shooting from the exact opposite end of the firing line. This was a really unique and valuable experience and kept students on their toes.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Day One on the Line</span>

The first day on the range we worked on zeroing our rifles at 100 yards on paper gradually working out to 300 yards on paper. During this time we ensured our equipment was adjusted for the 2300 ft. elevation and worked on our shooting position and marksmanship fundamentals. Instructors then had us each chronograph our rifle/ammo combination. Caylen then took this data and gave students a personalized ballistics chart the following day on their weapon.

Next up we did “cold bore” (meaning: "clean bore") shooting exercises where students were encouraged to clean their bores as they normally would and then shoot. Data was collected on the variances of clean bore shots vs. dirty bore shots for each rifle. This reminded students about the importance of knowing how their particular rifle groups when coming from a clean to a fouled bore.

During the day we’d shoot for about an hour and then there would be about an hour “hip pocket” class. During these class sessions the instructors would build on the skills we had just learned and add in something new that we’d be working on next.

Classes this day covered external ballistics, drag, environmental factors on bullets and ammunition, altitude, humidity, precipitation and adverse weather, collecting Data On Previous Engagements (DOPE), calculating all environmental factors into final firing solution and angles.

Follow-on classes during the day began to focus on wind. This included using the clock system to calculate wind effect, reading mirage, wind flags, vegetation, multiple wind direction corrections, and using a spotter to make wind corrections before firing.

During the day there were also small demonstrations of variations in positions such as Hawkins and using British style shooting sticks.

The day was concluded with the introduction of using the shooter/spotter team to engage 18”W x 24”H steel plates at 400 and 500 yards to practice calling wind and making corrections to strike the plate center.

A demonstration of trenching a rifle for a Hawkins position:
img2756wx.jpg

img2759z.jpg

Shooting from British-style stick support:

img2767t.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Day Two on the Line</span>

The second day the instructors had us setup overlooking a known distance range stretching from 400-800 yards. 18”W x 24”H plates were setup in threes to allow all six students to work as shooter/spotter teams. The shooter/spotter concept would be the core focus for the rest of the course going forward from this point and every student would alternate on the teams between shooting and spotting.

The morning course of fire commenced and each team engaged targets from known ranges of 400-800 yards to acquire DOPE on their weapons and practice making wind calls.

After the known distances were established, we had another field class where ranging with the mil-dot reticle was covered in-depth. Instructors covered classic “football” and “baseball” sized mil-dots along with hash-line mil-dots. Tricks and tips were given to help measure targets more precisely down to 1/10th mil. The class also had detailed descriptions of common errors in milling, effects of mirage, parallax errors and the use of the Mil-relation formula for calculating distances. Ending the class was a lecture on the proper construction of a range card and diagram for targets at unknown distance.

After the class the instructors setup an unknown distance course with 16 targets ranging from 18”W x 24”H to 8”x 8” hangers. All distances were random and ranged from around 300 to 800 yards.

Students were then given some time to work with their partner and mil the targets and calculate their own range cards - without using a laser range finder. After ranges were calculated, the instructors laid out the rules of engagement for the course. Students would be given 10 points for a first round hit on any target and 8 points if they missed but hit it the second time. Only two shots were allowed and after two misses the shooter received a zero for that target. Using the shooter/spotter teams, range and wind corrections were given as each shooter engaged targets. For having only received one morning of instruction, teams had great success with scores ranging from high 40% to mid-70%.

Unknown Distance Range - White dots are larger targets. Other targets hanging in trees.

img2770e.jpg

img2771.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Day Three on the Line</span>

Just like the days before, the firing line was moved. This time we were at the opposite side of the range shooting from a low hill into the valley below. Target ranges were from around 400-1000 yards. The first course of fire was to engage steel plates with the shooter/spotter teams at 900 and 1000 yards to establish good DOPE. We then played a couple games where shooters started around 30 ft. from their weapon and had to run to it and engage 1000 yard steel plates to see who would be first. Shooters had to spot and call their own corrections.

After this, another unknown distance course was setup with 15 targets of the random sizes used before. Because the firing line was different, shooters had to re-establish ranges to all the known landmarks and make new adjustments for wind. Again shooter/spotters were used to build range cards and make wind calls.

The second time around team scores all improved even with a very gusty and unpredictable winds happening in the valley below (dust devils were blowing around as the various winds shifted back and forth for instance). This was an excellent test of skills and was much more challenging than shooting on a flat range with constant winds. Gusts on one half of the course were so strong that wind calls of 1 mil or more off a target were common even at mid-ranges at times. Yet, the other half of the range the winds would be relatively constant and calm requiring little windage adjustment.

When the course was finished and scores read, the instructors gave shooters 30 minutes free time on the range. Shooters were encouraged to go back and re-engage targets they had problems with, adjust DOPE, practice wind calls, shoot other ammunition they wanted to try at extended ranges, etc. We really enjoyed this and it gave us a chance to try out some military surplus ball at 900+ yards (worked fine) and play with other’s equipment.

After this break we went back to the line and finished with some shooting games to test accuracy and bolt manipulation speed. The final shooting of the day was to engage two melons at distances around 400-600 yards away.

The course wrapped up with a final demonstration of alternative firing positions to consider such as offhand, sitting, Hawkins, partner supported, kneeling, shooting off branches, etc.

Caylen (in green shirt) explains the details of partner supported shooting:

img2797m.jpg

Caylen explaining how to use a partner in prone supported position:

img2802r.jpg

Using a knife in a tree for an improvised support:

img2807m.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Equipment Malfunctions</span>

The course had a couple equipment problems. A Premier Reticles scope elevation turret broke. A detachable scope mount (LaRue??) kept coming loose and the rifle wouldn’t hold zero. I didn’t notice any other malfunctions.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Overall Summary</span>

The course was $600 for four days of classes from top-notch instructors. We shot around 250 rounds of ammo. Caylen and Billy’s presentation styles are confident and detailed. It is obvious that both speak directly from experience in what they saw in the USMC and active combat. I came away from the class with a large number of notes with very practical and tested advice. My skills as a long-range shooter improved remarkably by the end of the course.

The Pacific NW is very lucky to have Central Cascade Precision offering classes in our region. Anyone interested in learning to use their precision rifle more effectively would be well advised to attend one of these classes. It’s money very well spent.

* Album link to above photos:

http://img15.imageshack.us/g/img2756wx.jpg/

Re: Central Cascade Precision Rifle Course Review

Excellent review XOR. Looks like the weather cooperated.

Weather was great. Lows in the 40s and then 70s by afternoon. It was nice just being able to focus on technique and not be impacted by adverse weather. Caylen says the area gets snow in the winter (I saw the snow line around 3000 ft. I'd guess when I was there). Sounds like an opportunity for some winter training classes to me...

Very nice review, makes me want to go out and take his class even more. I guess due to the law of averages off time will coincide with a class date eventually...

The class was sooo worth it...excellent review XOR.Thanks!!!

I sent my scope to Premier Monday they received it today(Wednesday) and called me to let me know my scope will be on the way back Thursday...They said the broken rocker in the elevation turrent is the 3rd one they've seen, excellent CS from them. I should have it back by early next week

I'll be back for more courses as soon as I can.Like you said It's money well spent and a great time!

Know one of the instructors and know of the other instructor from others that serverd him, couple of first class experienced snipers. Those that attened the class really got some really quality instruction.

Very cool - Might be something I'm interested in attending, couple hour drive from my place.

We came through there after the Idaho State Sniper championship - except it was 11 or 12 at night - and that is the absolute most beautiful place even at night - a bazillion stars out.

I was at the class as well, partnered with XOR, so I'll add a few comments.

The instruction was very pragmatic, and it is clear the instructors have not only significant experience, but experience teaching. There are a number of text book techniques that some classes teach, but the ability to merge the different ideas together into what works for you is a key factor in success.

Without a doubt, I left the class a much better shooter then I came in as. In the past I had not shot over 500 yards, but with good instruction and focus on the fundamentals I had no problem getting consistent hits at 1000 yards.

It was great to learn and practice ranging techniques, and that was one of the most fun part of the class. Reading and gauging wind correct was a also great and difficult skill to work on. This particular range has some very interesting and complex wind patterns in the bowl. As a result sometimes shot to shot variance could be as much as 1 mil in only 20-30 seconds. It was actually nice to be at a location with some wind variance, and no simple wind flags to read the wind with.

Another part of the course I thought was very helpful was the shooter/spotter focus. As we learned during the two competitive unknown range shoots, the spotter is as important if not more important then the shooter. Being able to see vapor trail and call corrections quickly is key. It was awesome to refine the techniques to call a shot, and it was exciting even as a spotter to call a wind correction followed by a "HIT!". If you have a friend you may be regularly shooting with, this is a great course to take as a team.

For anyone else taking a course like this, I would also add a few equipment notes:

0) It is ideal to have a backup gun is you can. Even just a backup gun for a group of two or three is helpful. blu109 had a failure of his scope, but he was able to switch right over to his backup Rem700 and backup scope.

1) It is good to have 200-300 rounds of the same ammunition. Four of us were shooting Federal Gold Metal Match 175gr, one shooting Black Hills 175g, and one shooting hand-loaded 208gr. Given the ranges and focus on getting consistency, you certainly don't want to have to switch ammo mid course. BTW I had no problem getting good hits at 900 yards with the GGG NATO 7.62x51 147gr ball ammo.

2) It is also great to have a really really good spotting scope if you can. I brought a cheap spotting cope, and it was worthless. There were two of the Leupold Mark 4 MilDot spotting scopes, and they were nothing short of amazing. The optics are awesome, and the mildot for shooter/spotter coordination makes calls easier and more consistent. XOR had a Pentax spotting scope that had great optics as well. Keep in mind that Leupold Mark 4 is $1600, but once you look thru it, you will be happy with the 'buy once cry once' philosophy'.

3) Scope choice: Three of us had NightForce F1 Mil/Mil scopes, one had an older NightForce MOA/MOA, one Premier Mil/Mil, and one SS MOA/Mil. While there are certainly religions about scopes, the Mil/Mil combo worked very well for this kind of instruction. We were often making quick adjustment based on calls from our scope, and seeing a hit .5 mils off and adjusting 5 clicks made getting center of mass much easier.

Speaking of scopes: One 'feature' of the Nightforce scope is the zero lock feature, which sets a lock that stops you when you are back at zero. It seems like a simple concept, but it saved me from taking a wrong shot a few times. One of the other shooters with the SS shot ended up missing a shot during a session because he was off one whole revolution. With the zero-stop it is just habit to always reset all the way to zero when you get up. Then you can go by feel for any DOPE.

Here are a few pictures as well:

IMG_1312.jpg

Some nice equipment.

IMG_1321.jpg

Looking downrange at the 800 yard targets thru my Nightforce.

IMG_1345.jpg

Taking the AI AW for a spin.
smile.gif

Jeff

To add to NAND's post:

1) The Leupold Mk 4 Spotter with reticle is a great scope. The clarity and field of view was great. Being able to call shots with a Mil-Dot reticle is a huge advantage especially if the scope on the rifle is Mil/Mil as well. I won't use a spotting scope again without a Mil-Dot reticle in it after this if I can help it.

2) I was using a NightForce F1 standard Mil-Dot Reticle. Other shooters were using the NightForce F1 MLR hash Mil-Dot reticle. There is always a debate about which reticle to get. What I'll say is this: When milling targets I noticed no significant difference in accuracy between the two reticles in terms of dots vs. hash marks. I thought there would be a bigger difference, but our readings were virtually identical. So in terms of reticle choice, I'd say it just doesn't matter between the two as long as you learn to use what you have. It's just personal preference.

3) NAND's Lithuanian GGG 147 grain performed great at 900+ yards. All hits were center mass once elevation and windage was dialed in. If all a shooter has is NATO ball they can shoot relatively inexpensively to get in long range practice on steel. We've even shot 600 yard 10" steel plates with case-corroded German mil-surplus before and didn't have any issues making consistent hits.

4) Zero stop is a great feature on my F1. My older scope doesn't have it and I too have been caught in the past with turrets mis-dialed when I forgot how many rotations I had in it. I won't got back to a scope without zero stops.

5) A good spotter will make or break a shooter at extended ranges in calling elevation and wind. Pulling the trigger is the easy part. IMO. Those wishing to improve their long range skills would be well advised to practice spotting and reading wind for other shooters.

We will be making some minor changes to the Precision Long Range Rifle 1 Course. All are based on prior student recommendations. The largest of which will be that all four training days will be held on the range in order to maximize training time. I will also be posting a detailed training schedule for those who wish to have a more in-depth look at the training before they decide to attend.

For all those who have written feedback, I greatly appreciate it as it will only help enhance training in the future.

I attended this class as well and I have to say it was much more than I expected for four days and a couple hundred rounds. You can be new or even an experienced shooter and you will benefit. This course focuses alot on being a shooter/spotter team and if you and a buddy want to be taught this is one of the best classes I think you will find. Caylen will be able to challenge you and offer tried and true advice.

To me this is a large attraction, I firmly believe that those who do, do and those can't, teach. But in Caylen's case he did it and brings back both the experience he had training those that did as well as applying what he learned and taught others in as real of a situation as you can get.

On the course change from one day of classroom and 3 days range to a full 4 days range I feel is good idea. I learned alot in the classroom but I think I benefited as much or more from the 10-30 minute "hip pocket" classes that Caylen and Shep taught throughout the range days. When we got into windage calls we got a windage class followed by some range time and then an official debrief on what happened and ways we could even further improve. Many times these combinations of pocket class to range time to debrief would lead to the next aspect of precision long range and any areas of weakness or any questions the shooters had could be answered and then the advice of the instructors could be absorbed and then immediately applied in different drills and excercises setup by the instructors.

Thanks to Caylen and Shep and other precision rifle instructors for passing on your experience and guidance in this sport that is so often muddled with the advice of armchair internet commandos.

This sounds like a great course and some great instructors. I have little time for the majority of offerings out there that seem to offer only beginning marksmanship training and little to no advanced techniques. Finally a school that looks different!!

I look forward to hitting this class in the future and the fieldcraft class is intriguing to me as well.

My advice to the instructors is dont play the LE/MIL only game. there are enough of those types out there and they leave a large underserved market of dialed in civlians with no place to go for proper sniper training.

Well, I contacted Caylen and arranged for him to come to Montana to do a 4 day sniper class for us. AS of this evening, I still have 2 or 3 open slots in this class. These are strictly limited and no more than 10 students will be allowed to attend this shoot.

We will be having the class on 30 September thru 3 october (thursday thru sunday) price is very affordable you may PM me for details and a registration form.

The class is being held at a private range with at least 1000 yards in Three Forks Montana, which is 30 minutes west of Bozeman.

I'd be happy to provide any attendee with some local lodging information and assist in any way I can.

We have a limited time left to sign up so get you app and fee in ASAP.

PM me for details.

P.S. I am hosting this class ONLY, and am in no way affiliated with CCP. just making sure my Montana brethren are aware of whats available in our neck of the woods.

Thanks
Jack

Caylon is a good dude!! Dont miss out and take advantage of his knowledge!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Caylon is a good dude!! Dont miss out and take advantage of his knowledge!! </div></div>

+1. Great course taught by a good dude. I can't wait to attend his advanced course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack-O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I contacted Caylen and arranged for him to come to Montana to do a 4 day sniper class for us. AS of this evening, I still have 2 or 3 open slots in this class. These are strictly limited and no more than 10 students will be allowed to attend this shoot.

We will be having the class on 30 September thru 3 october (thursday thru sunday) price is very affordable you may PM me for details and a registration form.

</div></div>

I just got shot down on a late attempt to change my work schedule to attend; looking forward to the class being offered again soon a little closer to home at the Yakima range.

I'm pretty excited about it. Caylen came out and checked out the range this Summer and picked up some steel and turned it into some targets for the shoot. It's a good group of guys already signed up too, so it should make for a fun and very productive class.

If anyone needs help with anything on this please PM me. I'll be happy to help anyway I can.

price is a bargain too.