• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Central TX Monthly Practical Shoot... Interested?

Rich Emmons

just an old has been
Supporter
Minuteman
Ok Guys,

I'd like to put on a fun monthly match for long range shooters to test and practice our shooting skills.

This match would be very similar to the monthly matches put on at Raton, NM.

Basically it would be 5 targets per station, and 10 different stations at different locations, totaling 50 steel targets, 1 shot/point per target. All known distances. No R.O.s, Shooters in squad score each other. This type of match would require walking from station to station over long distances, shooting would be more practical style requiring shooters to use shooting positions and rest not always a bi-pod on flat ground.

Venue location is the purpose of gauging interest, I feel like we could attract 20-30 shooters regularly but I need to kind of firm that number up so can provide reliable information. We are looking at Tac-Pro as the location.

Other info:
Match fee: $40
1/3 goes to range
2/3 goes to pay back top 4-5 shooters.
Monthly match dates will be posted but will more likely be on the Last Saturday of the Month unless there is conflict with other major matches or training.

If this sounds like something you would consider let me know if you would make it.

Re: Central TX Monthly Practical Shoot... Interested?

I would give it a try, man.

I would be down, but I am not sure of the location.

I've shot the match in Raton a few times and always wished there was something like it closer.

I'm in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are RO's Range officers? </div></div>

yup

Rich
I see you have Tac-Pro in the x-hairs, but like couple of others said,"central"? Would you think Tiger Valley might do something like this....thats only 2hrs away vs. 4.5hrs

I realize there isn't many places in TX to shoot (and we have the biggest state) to do this type of shooting. Just commenting.

Tim B.

Tac pro is 20 miles from my house and since I will be using all my own steel
it makes for a close location. Plus I think there is about 500 acres to use. Any place that size or bigger would be ideal. Not neccessarly locked down there yet.

Thanks for the votes and comments keep them coming!

I won't be to make it every month, but I'll make at least 4, sounds like fun.

I'm interested, but echoing a number of other posters, Tac-Pro ain't exactly what I would call Central Texas. I'll officially second the Tiger Valley suggestion.

I would like to give it a try, tac-pro is closer for me than tiger valley

Sounds like fun to me. Tac Pro or Tiger Valley works for us.

We wouldn't be able to make every one but we should be able to make quite a few.

Let me know if this makes.

Could probably get down for 4 or 5 at TacPro.

Tiger Valley is farther for me, so probably couldn't make that many trips.

maybe they can arrange a shot, every 3 to 4 months on tiger valley for the people that cant attend to tac pro.
nice compromise for all of us.
just a thought

Rich, you now I'm in for the month's I can make it. Location not a big deal, I'll be driving at least 8+ hours. I'll fly in when I can if I can get wank or you to pick me up.

Re: Central TX Monthly Practical Shoot... Interest

Rich, count me in too. I will even pick-up Reynolds when he flies. (if he showers!) hahaha!

Sounds great to me but that is accross the world from Houston. I might be able to make it every once in a while.

I wanta be like Wil when I grow up.

Sure I'd be down to kick the tires.

Hell yes. I've been looking for something like the Raton match closer to home. Stephenville or Tiger Valley - no matter. Paraphrasing George Clooney in Oh Brother.. this place is a geographical oddity; it's 4 hours from everywhere.

There'd likely be 2-3 of us interested.

Central TX???
Hmmm thinking my map reading foo is outta whack

I wud try it thou

I'd be in as well. Tiger Valley would be a great location.

Interested. Tiger Valley gets my vote.

If the matches were to be held at TV I am very much interested. Never shot steel in competition but willing to try, should be fun.

the way that is going looks like we gonna have to held this on someones backyard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: divejay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the way that is going looks like we gonna have to held this on someones backyard.</div></div>
Thats what I originally thought this was gonna be. I say we hunt down someone with a lease or big stretch of land to let us use

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: divejay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the way that is going looks like we gonna have to held this on someones backyard.</div></div>
Thats what I originally thought this was gonna be. I say we hunt down someone with a lease or big stretch of land to let us use </div></div>

The problem with that is liability. I know we are supposed to be exceptional firearm handlers; but even at Rifles Only before a comp, you get the 30 minute firearm lecture (for good reason). One messup and someone could get hurt/dead and your out the gate. The regulars of these comps are all exceptional shooters/people as well.

I don't mind taking people I know out on my land, but people that I haven't met in person and shaken their hand (see how they handle themselves), not so much...

You might have a hard sell on that one.

Rich, whats the latest? Tritoon I bathe once a month whether I need it or not!!

Mick

I'd be interested. Me and a couple of shooting buddies are in the DFW area and would be interested.

Great proposal. I would certainly be interested if it is within 3 or 4 hours of Austin, TX. I know of several friends that would probably attend as well. I hope you can work out a location.

I'm new to all this, but definitely interested. Tiger Valley would be good for me.

Chris

any update on this? looks like is diying down.