• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakote a factory stock or buy new one?

Jcas2012

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2011
Florida
Hey guys how's it going. I will be picking up a Remington 700 5R soon and will be having the stainless done in black cerakote. I have never put cerakote on a stock and am trying to decide if I should cerakote the factory HS Precision stock as well or just sell it and pick up a black "M24 style" non adjustable version from stocky's stocks. I believe it's basically the same stock that is on there now for the most part. Don't have the money for a McMillan so if I sell the stock an HS is going back on there.

Thanks for all your help. Take care

Re: Cerakote a factory stock or buy new one?

I have cerakoted a couple of stocks, it is not a big deal just be careful in your prep work and bake at the min. temp. The 5r stock
is a unique stock and I don't think it can be bought without the
rifle I would not coat it you can probably sell it and get close to what the one your looking at cost. If you decide to sell I might be interested.

Cerakote is pretty simple to do. I've got a free-be stock that a buddy took off a factory 700 that I'm doing as practice right now.

Lot's of tutorials on here, but if it were me...I'd do the Cerakote over buying a whole new stock. But again, that's just me, I've messed with Cerakote before.

I have been thinking of learning how to do the cerakote on my own so practicing on an old stock or something is certainly a good idea. I believe I am leaning towards just picking up a different stock for now until I have to the time to learn cerakote application.

tc-LA, if/when I sell the factory stock I will certainly keep you in mind and shoot you a message when the time comes.

Thanks for the quick responses and help so far.