• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakote a new scope?

91Eunozs

The Man (Retired)
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2013
    south central Texas
    OK, I promise I searched and either my google-fu sucks (entirely possible), or this hasn’t been discussed yet.

I’m looking for a nice LPVO to go on a 12.5” upper chambered in 5.56, and am leaning towards the NF NX8 (long-term reliability is the primary consideration on this build), but I really don’t want another black scope. I had the receiver and hand guard custom Cerakoted a lighter bronze/gold color and would really like the scope to at least compliment the build if not color matched.

Just mocked up here (awaiting some small parts), looks a lot lighter than in person, but you get the idea:

i-LZ2kZHK.jpg

I‘m also considering the Vortex or maybe the new Sig Tango 1-6, but while those would compliment the build, they won’t be a perfect match and again, not sure they’ll hold up as well as the NIght Force.

I do have a Schmidt & Bender 1-8 short dot in Pantone that would also compliment this build:

i-DBRZdfB.jpg

…but then I’d need to replace that scope on my .308 AR10 brush hunting gun. Beautiful glass, but it weighs a ton too…LOL.

Any other LPVO scopes in tan/FDE I should be looking at in the ~$2K range that can hold up to NF or S&B for ruggedness and reliability? Or maybe NF does custom work on tubes, etc. before assembly?

Or for the specific purposes of this thread, has anyone Cerakoted one of these scopes? That’ll take a lot more heat than a simple paint job, and I really don’t want to risk voiding the warranty. I’ve Cerakoted a few red dots with great success, including a nice Aimpoint on a lightweight build:

i-gpLp3Bz.jpg

…and have painted, as well as Cerakoted several lower end scopes with good effect, but not sure I want to screw around with this permanent step for this build.

Any input appreciated.

Cerakote is probably your best bet if you need NF durability. As @Huskydriver mentioned, @CSTactical will help you out. Vortex 1-10G3 seems like a nice scope, and the color will be closer, but it won’t match perfectly. I’m also not sure how durable they are, I sold mine before I beat on it (decided LPVOs weren’t for me, nothing wrong with the scope).