• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakote advice request

BruntBronze

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2019
I'm looking to get into home cerakote fabrication. I have a gas oven and no wife so there's that.

Does it ruin the oven?

What temp to use?

Can I run plastic thru?

What spray apparatus? Lvhp, lvlp?

I'm looking to get into home cerakote fabrication. I have a gas oven and no wife so there's that.

Does it ruin the oven?

What temp to use?

Can I run plastic thru?

What spray apparatus? Lvhp, lvlp?
Lots of people use their home oven. No issue other than the house smelling for a bit. I’ll let others answer the other ?

NIC cerakote industries has a very good series of videos on YouTube about using their products. Lots of good info in them about what settings and techniques to use.

I would definitely recommend against doing heat cure cerakote in a inhouse oven. The fumes given off by NIC industries cerakote products are no joke. They have plenty of warnings on their labels about not breathing this stuff. At a minimum apply cerakote in the garage with adequate ventilation. It will give me an instant headache if I get a whiff of it without a respirator on.

I did cerakote for a few years. If you follow their preparation guidelines you get a great product. You also need a lot of other things — Blast cabinet with clean media, air compressor rated for spraygun with inline driers supplying filtered air, HIGH quality spraygun like an Iwatta, (devilbiss is entry level at best), separate wash and rinse buckets for the acetone baths, lots of acetone, vertical oven if you are doing parts over 18” long. Lots of other small expendable supplies like bottle filters, paper masking, high temp tape, nitrile gloves etc etc. Pretty much the same amount of equipment and prep that is needed for doing car parts.

Somebody will probably come along and say you don’t need all that stuff, that you will be fine just sanding or scuffing the parts with scotchrite, wash it in the sink and spray it with a preval spraypack from home depot and it will be good to go. To that I say substandard prep equals substandard results. Do you really think a cheap spraypack aerosol can will have proper droplet size and pattern control? You going to get that hidden pocket of grease in a hard to reach corner with a quick wash and rinse in the kitchen sink after a fast passover with some sandpaper? There is also skill involved. I have had to totally redo parts over a few times for proper results. One project I had to do 3 times before it was right.

I have since stopped doing finish work. Cerakote has a limited shelf life even if left unopened, it will start to separate and clump and will not remix. Got tired of having bottles go bad, too much $$$ to have it spoil for the low volume work I was doing. Now I would just take a project to a respectable cerakote applicator

I 2nd about using a household oven. The hardeners in all 2 part paints/coating contain isocynides. A form of cyanide. Want that in your food? And sure as hell don't store it in your fridge. I wear gloves, face cover, and lab coat when spraying. I don't want that stuff on my skin. I also have a big hood sucking it out.

What are you planning on coating? Are you doing it for personal use or do you plan on selling the service?

What are you planning on coating? Are you doing it for personal use or do you plan on selling the service?
If this is going to be a Cerakote business using your oven, I would definitely re think that!

If this is going to be a Cerakote business using your oven, I would definitely re think that!
The cost of a proper oven is small compared to everything he needs to do it right. See Tiger's post above. If he is doing gun parts with serial numbers on them he will also need a federal firearms license.