• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote Air Cure

blaserman33

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2011
Phoenix,AZ
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the air cure version of Cerakote? Is the application any different? How does it hold up? Also, since it doesn't require heating can it be used on polymer parts? Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated. I looked through the forums and did a few searches but didn't find anything on the air cure type so forgive me if I just overlooked a thread with this in it.

Re: Cerakote Air Cure

We use it.

Its not a two part like the H.

You spray it on and let it air cure for 5 days.

IMO it continues to dry/harden over about 30 days. Could be wrong but month old Cerakote seems tougher than 5 day old Cerakote.

Yes it can be used on stocks, scopes, plastic, anything you can get it to stick to since no heating is required.

It does seem to like sand blasted metal the best though.

I use it quite often. Works well on all that Kieth mentioned.

Prep is everything. Especially on plastics and composites, make sure they are degreased well!

Do the polymer pieces need to be blasted? If so, should I use a different type of blast media?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blaserman33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the polymer pieces need to be blasted? If so, should I use a different type of blast media? </div></div>

I've done a couple Glock frames and I lightly blasted them with the same 100 grit AO media I use for metal.

Seemed to work out just fine.

I did my whole rifle, minus optics. Sand blasted everything from metal to plastic and it's held up great. What I like is that you can touch it after a few hours and put it in the safe, but best to let it cure for the 4-5 days depending on weather of course.

I may experiment with the H Series down the line, but air cure has worked very very well for me in the past.