• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakote and stainless?

SPDSNYPR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2005
Oklahoma
We have some cerakote at work that we used for a couple of rifles last year and didn't use up. I just had a rifle rebarrelled by Southern Precision Rifles with a stainless steel barrel. I was wondering if there is an advantage to cerakoting the stainless barrel or should I save it for CM weapons and just rattle can the new barrel? We cerakoted our rifles because they were stock remingtons and kinda prone to rust. I don't imagine I'll have that problem with the stainless.

So - cerakote or no?

Re: Cerakote and stainless?

I guess I thought there would be more opinions or experience on the matter. Thanks deadly.

120 grits aluminum oxide blasting material will work for it. Or you can do what i have always done and just used 120 sand paper and sand it and the coat it. I coat all my rifle barrels with cera coat.

I'm in the same boat, my barrel and brake was media blasted so there no shinny surface. I wonder about heat build up or about dissipation after coating a barrel.

Awe screw it. I'm going to coat it. Blasted it today, and will soak it in acetone overnight and spray and bake tomorrow.

One thing about stainless steel. It will rust, just not as readily as carbon steel. Cerakote won't hurt.

OFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awe screw it. I'm going to coat it. Blasted it today, and will soak it in acetone overnight and spray and bake tomorrow. </div></div>

Good call! Post pics when done...

In the oven now. Decided to just do a single color instad of trying to do camo with this stuff, as I may not like the camo later. I figure OD green as a base, then camo up as I want with rattle cans. That way I can change it anytime. Would have done coyote, but all of our PD rifles are coyote and I wanted my personal rifle to be different.

Here is the barreled action sitting in the stock after the cerakote.

2012-07-19160257.jpg

And although I liked the way it looked, it is a work rifle. I was going to have to paint the scope something other than black, so I went ahead and painted the barreled action to kinda match the stock.

2012-07-21214139.jpg

I've got a couple of muzzle devices to try out, this being the smallest (except the muzzle cap, which I cerakoted to match the barrel). I'm going to try them out at the range and see which one I like.

As far as the stainless goes - the cerakote seemed to go on fine. This is the first time I've done the whole process myself. I've never abrasive blasted anything before, so I was very careful and probably took longer than anyone in the history of sand blasting. I made sure everything looked perfectly even on the bolt, action and barrel. I sprayed it with a co-worker's very expensive equipment with him watching over my shoulder. I baked it for longer than it said in the instructions just to be sure.
wink.gif

I can't tell a bit of difference between the CM bolt and action and the stainless barrel and recoil lug. Only time will tell, but I think if you do the prep work right, stainless and cerakote go together just fine.