• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote application questions

craigp40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2005
SW PA
Guys, I'm getting ready to shoot my barreled action with some Cerakote and had a couple questions before I jump right in.

- I'm leaning towards the ambient cure version, but is it worth the extra hassle to go with the heat cure version? I'm not too concerned about waiting longer for it to cure, but I just want a nice durable finish at the end of all this.

- This stuff is supposedly self lubricating. Can/should I put a coat on the bolt (lugs included) and inside the action on the raceways? If so, how many coats to ensure it doesn't bind up my action (it's a factory Win M70 action that has been trued)?

- How many coats should I expect to put over the entire barreled action? I've read that 1.0 mil is probably an ideal thickness, but roughly how many light coats does that equate to? Or should it be put on in 1 thick coat?

- What is the temp range for applying it? I suspect I'll have to wait a little until the weather warms up, but I can't seem to find anything on the web about this.

- I've been bouncing back and forth between Duracoat and Cerakote. From what I've read, Cerakote seems like the better coating and is just as easy to apply (both need an air brush or HVLP gun). Is this the general consensus?

Re: Cerakote application questions

The oven cure will be more durable, but make sure you can fit everything in the oven first. Keep the coats as thin as possible.

Oven coat is much more durable than air cure. I avoid Duracoat on metal that can be cured at ~300 degrees because other options are much more abrasion resistant. I prefer bake on Cerakote to Duracoat and strongly prefer KG Coatings 2400 series to both Duracoat and Cerakote.

KG Coatings goes on much thinner quicker than Cerakote. I also understand that it allows the barrel to cool twice as quickly as Cerakote but I have not personally confirmed that. Adam at KG Coatings was telling me that yesterday when we were discussing me applying their 3400 ceramic fill paint to my Badger M2008 action and it's barrel.

I understand that Cerakote was designed for automative headers and heat RETENTION was a good thing. Kind of the opposite with firearms. If anyone has information that contradicts this, please let me know as I am relying on someone else's information that I have not researched.

My .02,
Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

The Cerakote product for headers is a different product then for the firearms. NIC industries the maker or Cerakote makes several coating products, not a one coating fits all operation.

The air cure Cerakote is very durable and is your only option if you want to match your scope, stock, and barreled action.

Air cured Cerakote will cure in about 5 days, where Duracoat needs at least three weeks.

Air cured Cerakote can be placed into an oven at 120 for 30 min to allow it to flash and dry to the point that you can handle it.

The same color air cure and oven cure Cerakote can be different in that the gloss ratings can be different, giving a different look and feel. Do not rely on oven and air Cerakote to match.

Hi Randy,

Thanks for clarifying the Cerakote information! I am not that up to speed on their entire product line.

Have you used both Cerakote bake on and KG Coatings 2400? Please let me know what you think of the two in comparison to each other if you have.

Thanks,
Darin

I have not found a need to try the KG stuff. Might make that one of my New Year resolutions.

The oven cured Cerakote is very good stuff. I also use an oven cure product call Norrell Moly Resin. Maybe not as tough as Cerakote but very easy to repair or redo. Not as expensive either. Limited in colors however.

Cerakote
JustinElis2-1.jpg

Duracoat
COYT9.jpg

Moly
fte1.jpg

Thanks gents, especially to Greg for taking the time to have a call. This has been very helpful. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go for the ambient cure Cerakote. I don't have an oven that can handle the entire barreled action and don't really feel like building a makeshift one when the ambient stuff will meet my needs.

Just as a side note, I looked into going the Polane T route through Sherwin Williams. Although it's about 1/2 the cost of Duracoat per ounce, you have to buy too much of it at once (min of 1 gal) to make it worth it, unless you are in the business of coating firearms.

Craig - what kind of air brush and air supply are you going to use?

I've been toying with the idea of trying some cerakote as well.

Rij, I'm going to use a HVLP gravity fed touch up gun that runs off a compressor. My brother has a really good one with several different nozzles that he uses for his antique cars. From my discussions with Greg, an airbrush can be used but it will take considerably longer to do. You should be able to find some pretty inexpensive HVLP guns if you wanted to go that route.

SP, you can check out prices at Brownells. I believe Duracoat was running around $17/4 oz bottle, and Cerakote was around $32 for the same amount.

Rij,

I have a high SATA minijet with a .8mm tip HVLP gun and a "cheapie" mini HVLP gun from Harbor Freight. I can't tell where I can get a better finish with the high dollar gun than the harbor freight unit that cost 1/10 as much.

Darin

Is the prep the same for air dry Cerakote as it is for the bake on? Does Cerakote require AO2 blasting/parkerizing like Duracoat?
Dean

I just sprayed with a HVLP gun the other day for the first time after using an airbrush for the past several years. The HVLP does a nice job and is certainly quicker but also uses a lot more material than the airbrush.

I'll use the HVLP for larger projects but stick with my airbrush for smaller stuff.

In regards to your original question, I was overall very happy with the one heat cure Cerakote application to one of my rifles, at least as far as the exterior is concearned. I was not, however, happy with how the bolt turned out. I did not even cycle the bolt for about two weeks after having it done, and found that the Cerakote on the bolt immediately started to come off once I did. I would describe it as if it was still "wet" and the coating began to goober up at the back of the ejection port, on the yop reag surface of the bolt. I don't know if it was a poor application problem or what, but it would cause me to question having it applied again to the bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In regards to your original question, I was overall very happy with the one heat cure Cerakote application to one of my rifles, at least as far as the exterior is concearned. I was not, however, happy with how the bolt turned out. I did not even cycle the bolt for about two weeks after having it done, and found that the Cerakote on the bolt immediately started to come off once I did. I would describe it as if it was still "wet" and the coating began to goober up at the back of the ejection port, on the yop reag surface of the bolt. I don't know if it was a poor application problem or what, but it would cause me to question having it applied again to the bolt. </div></div>
Could be that you didn't clean/degrease it well enough.

What are you guys using to plug the barrel when you are shooting the Cerakote?

BTW, there is now a mini-manual on the NIC site that goes into more detail on prep and application.

Cerakote Manual

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarinR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I understand that Cerakote was designed for automative headers and heat RETENTION was a good thing. Kind of the opposite with firearms. If anyone has information that contradicts this, please let me know as I am relying on someone else's information that I have not researched.

My .02,
Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS </div></div>
Different formula for heat retention purposes.

Shot a Mauser tonight. I used an airbrush this time to check it out. I have an Aztek A470. I used a lot less product and liked the control it gave me. I am going to play with the different tips to see which one gives the best pattern. It's going to work well for funky camo patterns.

Anyone use one of these? IWATA LPH-80

This is the gun NIC recommends.