• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote Baking

blaserman33

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2011
Phoenix,AZ
Can I use a small toaster oven type oven to bake on my cerakote? I know that at the surface it sounds like a stupid question but for some reason food tastes a little different when baked in a toaster oven so I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before I do it and ruin my gun. The only differences are that the pieces would be sitting closer to the heating coils. Also, my toaster oven has a fan bake feature that circulates the air inside to cook evenly and faster, would it be good to use for the cerakote since it circulates the air? Also, on the NIC instructional video for applying Cerakote they put what looks like a synthetic stock into their oven so I was wondering if most firearm plastics/polymers will withstand the 250 degree curing temp? I know that's a lot, but I thank you in advance for anyone who can way in on some the issues!

Re: Cerakote Baking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blaserman33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I use a small toaster oven type oven to bake on my cerakote? I know that at the surface it sounds like a stupid question but for some reason food tastes a little different when baked in a toaster oven...</div></div>

I have baked hundreds of Glock slides and other small parts in a toaster oven and they all tasted just fine.

I have baked a number of my rifle and shotgun actions in our kitchen convection oven and they were quite tasty also.

NIC has alternate bake times for sensitive materials. Your convection feature would help keep a steady and constant temp for your coatings but will not speed up the cure process like it would a steak or potato.

- Brandon

Put a heat resistant thermometer in there, dial facing the window and monitor it. The temp settings on toasters is marginal at best. I used to use one for small parts and learned the hard way. Just my .02

You should be extremely carefull when using other than a proper curing oven.

Ovens with exposed burners such as kitchen oven can ruin the finish and even severly damage the gun itself. The burners can reach in excess of 1200 degrees.

Cerakote should not be cured above 300 degrees and color pigments will be damaged above 350 degrees.

It is also often difficult to properly suspend the parts for curing in small ovens which arent set up for hanging hooks.

-Ernie

www.redcreektactical.com NIC Industries Premier Partner - Cerakote Certified Applicator.

Sometimes ya gotta make do with what ya got.
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should be extremely carefull when using other than a proper curing oven.

Ovens with exposed burners such as kitchen oven can ruin the finish and even severly damage the gun itself. The burners can reach in excess of 1200 degrees.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Sure, but I don't lay anything on the elements
eek.gif
and that is the reason I use the Convect Bake setting to keep the air moving.</span>

Cerakote should not be cured above 300 degrees and color pigments will be damaged above 350 degrees.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I set the oven temperature to 250F and it ends up within a few degrees using the oven thermometer I have so it takes care of that.
</span>
It is also often difficult to properly suspend the parts for curing in small ovens which aren't set up for hanging hooks.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yeah, it is a PITA for sure.
frown.gif

But not all the parts for my vertical curing oven have arrived yet and I haven't had time to actually build the thing.

But 100% of what I do is pistol slides that go in the toaster oven other than a few personal guns that I have experimented with in the kitchen oven.
</span>

-Ernie

www.redcreektactical.com NIC Industries Premier Partner - Cerakote Certified Applicator. </div></div>