• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakote battle worn and camo

Wildfire1550

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2012
Arizona
My daughter wants to do her own AR in a camo or battleworn. I have done solid projects in the past but have not done either camo or battle worn. My question is on the final cure, I would assume to make the camo pattern flow you would stencil with assembled so the pattern would flow, same when doing the battle worn technique. After doing the second coat I would you would have to disassemble and cure the metal and polymer parts separately at different temps or could you leave assembled and do final cure all as one? If you disassemble do you tack out so you don’t leave handling marks. Thanks in advance for any advice

Tack out (15 min @ 180) the parts after you spray assembled (and between coats to apply new stencils if doing more than 2 colors), disassemble (or remove the stencils, do your distressing coat, then tack out and disassemble), final cure everything at 180F for 2 hours.

Shoot me a PM. I can give you my number and tell you what I do. Too much to write out and you may have other questions. I’ve used a lot of stencils with Cerakote. I’ve done battle worn a several times as well. A few examples:

E1619CCA-E18F-4413-83C8-2B0B60BADF49.jpeg
BF9D5C04-3C75-4D41-B367-760DC505B8D6.jpeg
96EDB309-F2A3-44E4-8E35-F4E46299A42F.jpeg
550C016F-BE73-4C96-B16D-AB8016DF5B6E.jpeg
F9AF1D43-E594-40C3-B88B-7FC9E3E0C80F.jpeg

5AAEEE8B-6E88-4698-AAFD-94BF3FD99096.jpeg

My daughter wants to do her own AR in a camo or battleworn. I have done solid projects in the past but have not done either camo or battle worn. My question is on the final cure, I would assume to make the camo pattern flow you would stencil with assembled so the pattern would flow, same when doing the battle worn technique. After doing the second coat I would you would have to disassemble and cure the metal and polymer parts separately at different temps or could you leave assembled and do final cure all as one? If you disassemble do you tack out so you don’t leave handling marks. Thanks in advance for any advice

Unless you want something really specific, krylon and sponges, you can use stencils too. She can pick her own colors and pattern. There's several threads, search is your friend.