• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing cerakote c series vs h series

pickpick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Jonesboro,Ar.
I've cerakoted around ten firearms with the h series without any issues other than applicator error. Today I sprayed some bases with c series OD green and it ran off like water. I mean I couldn't make it stay on long enough to cover the white of the metal. I had them prepped just like the barreled action and bottom metal. I didn't have a bit of trouble with those parts when I sprayed them with the h series black. I gave up on the c series and sprayed the bases with the black after cleaning them back off. The black went on like clock work.I did spray the stock with the c series green and it seemed to cover fine. I used this OD green on an AR and it sprayed on fine a while back. The paint is about three months old and I've kept it in the Fridge. Any ideas about what happened. Thanks.

Re: cerakote c series vs h series

I think Keith or Brad at Phoenix Custom Rifles mentioned in a post a while back that he was having the same problem with "C" Cerakote OD. Might PM him and see if he came up with a solution he'd share with you.

Re: cerakote c series vs h series

I have an hvlp gun from Harbor freight with a .06 tip. I usually spray at about 15 psi. I tried adjusting the flow of paint up and down. I couldn't tell that it caused the paint to act any different. I didn't change the air pressure though.

Great! Not what I wanted to hear after buying Magpul FDE c ceries and .08 nozzle/hplv cerakote gun, fitting, air compressor, 190 micron strainers, etc...
I hope someone chimes in because id sure like to prevent this wildly expensive stuff from running everywhere mysteriously as well. Exactly what I was researching just now as well as shelf life and where to store unused bottles of FDE cerakote.

I would hope that in the ensuing 11 years since this was first posted any kinks have been worked out. It looked like the issue was limited to the OD Green anyway, not FDE.