• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote Colors Question

Re: Cerakote Colors Question

I do not have Magpul FDE in my samples. This is the best I can do quickly. I put a white(FFFFFF) and black(000000) dot on them.

color.jpg

I just had my TRG cerakoted with "Smith Brown" and it reminds me of the FDE/tan that FN uses. I wanted something darker than FDE, but not as dark as Federal brown.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody know it there is much (if any) difference in the Magpul FDE vs the standard FDE and same for the OD Green?
</div></div>

MagPul FDE is just a shade darker than standard FDE. On OD Green's there is standard OD Green, Mil-Spec OD Green, Mil-Spec Green and MagPul OD Green. These are listed lighter to darker. Mil-Spec Green and MagPul OD Green are the darkest of the OD's and differ based on the undertones in the pigments with Mil-Spec Green having a dark brown undertone and MagPul having a black undertone.

Hope that helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MagPul FDE is just a shade darker than standard FDE. </div></div>

I wonder if you could add a drop or two of Graphite Black and get it a bit closer?
I have the reg FDE and was trying to get closer to the Magpul FDE without ordered another jar of it.
I probably should order some sample swatches of the OD colors.

If you wanted to darken standard FDE to be closer to magpul FDE a small amount of Patriot Brown or Matte Brown would probably be the what you would want to do. If you dont have either of those colors your best option would be to get get a 4oz of magpul FDE.