• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote coverage?

downhill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Texas
Getting ready to cerakote a rifle. How many long guns will the 4oz kit cover? Any pointers or advice as to application not mentioned in the supplied instructions would be appreciated also.

Reactions: Soulfire76
Re: Cerakote coverage?

Depending on how many accessories you should be able to get 2-4 long guns.

tpowers, Thanks for the input. I checked out the link to your website. You have got to be the Michealangelo of firearm finishes. If I booger this up, I'll strip it and send to you to have it done right.

Todd,
Is very talented to say the least!

Small parts take a lot more paint than you would expect. $0.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: downhill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tpowers, Thanks for the input. I checked out the link to your website. You have got to be the Michealangelo of firearm finishes. If I booger this up, I'll strip it and send to you to have it done right. </div></div>
No Problem. If you need/want some pointers feel free to PM me.

downhill, have you read the many posts re cerakoting here on SH...? alot of good info. Try a dry run to move your soon to be wet parts from where you finish your spraying onto your oven without touching...get your rigging/wires/hanging pins etc figured out. I followed advice here and had a great experience...have you determined how to plug your barrel & chamber when you AO blast? Brownell's TCE is great to clean after blasting. Cerakote ("left over") doesn't last too long in storage ...I used an airbrush & pancake compressor-perfect. Easily 2-3 long guns from one 4 oz kit. Hey, try one part first & bake before you do your favorite rifle, my .02. bake @ 2 hours 250 deg. turn off oven, leave overnight & good to go next day. I have done exactly 2 rifles, not an expert...good luck, it's all in the prep, and keep the airbrush parallel to the work and always moving when spraying.

pix. 1) after spraying. 2) raw metal AO blasted 120 grit 3) "oven" converted gun storage cab. with 1" HVAC high heat liner glued inside & seamed caulked w/ high heat silicone. IR space heater
from Northern tool dismantled & reconfigured to fit cab. 4) Before-brass wire run thru bore from muzzle to 243ai fired brass / no primer& hooked to "hang" barrel in cab thru primer hole. 5) drying- wires holding small wet pieces jammed into fiberglass board- all this from SH posts earlier-I just followed other's info...

Cerakote_1.jpg

Cerakote_2.jpg

Cerakote_3.jpg

Cerakote_4.jpg

Cerakote_5.jpg