• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Cerakote Gone Bad: Beware of Specialized Dynamics!

buckjay

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2011
Hawaii
I'm not sure if this is this the right location to post this, if moderators need to move this, please go ahead.

I'm starting this thread to let everyone know of what I consider absolutely atrocious service rendered by Scott Milkovich of Specialized Dynamics (a vendor here).

A couple months ago I talked to Scott over the phone and email and decided I'd go ahead and have him refinish a bunch of parts in cerakote for me.

He was very easy to get a hold of and sounded more then confident he could handle it without issue. He assured me he would have my stuff done in less then a week.

I went ahead and sent my stuff off to him and then the waiting began. I told him I would like it for a shoot 2 and a half weeks away and he said it would be no problem at all.

Well the 2 and a half weeks started approaching and it became apparent he was not going to have it to me in time. Thats when it started to get difficult to get a hold of him. He wouldn't respond to my emails asking how things were going, nor would he answer my calls (the ones he used to pick up before). I left multiple messages on his voicemail, none of which were returned.

Finally he informs me that for some reason the paint was flaking off on the lower and that he had to re do it.

I thanked him for responding to me (at this point I was just happy to find out what was going on) but he assured me he re did it and there were no issues.

I received my stuff 4 weeks later and upon opening the box I immediately noticed it was an absolute shit job. The paint was peeling/flaking on many of the pieces, there was gritty overspray on the insides (not sure why he didn't paint the insides either? everyone does), some parts the paint was so thin that you could see the black anodizing beneath the cerakote. Needless to say, I could have bought a can of Krylon at my local ACE Hardware and I would have done a better job.

I took photos and talked with some actual professionals and they all assured me this was a job gone wrong.

After contacting Scott and kindly requesting a refund he refused, only offering to 'make things right' if I sent all the stuff back to me. Yeah, pass. I wouldn't trust him to do anything. He's since stopped answering my emails and I've had no choice but to dispute this charge with my credit card company, which I'm really hoping comes through.

I ended up sending my stuff off to Larson Tactical who had it back to me within a week and they did an awesome job on it all. No issues and a professional job.

Anyways, some pictures below and a word of warning to any potential customers. Hopefully I can save you some grief. I know I really wish I had been warned before I sent my stuff to Specialized Dynamics.

cerakote-1.jpg

cerakote-2.jpg

cerakote-3.jpg

cerakote-4.jpg

cerakote-5.jpg

cerakote-6.jpg

cerakote-7.jpg

Re: Cerakote Gone Bad: Beware of Specialized Dynamics!

In before the lock.
laugh.gif

Lock? Sorry where should this go then?

Are we not allowed to share our experiences? Or is it because they're a paying vendor?

Sorry that happened to you. I would have done what you did by talking to him and trying to get explanation and demanding a refund. Did the company tell you why the paint have issues? Were they backed up on orders or did someone with little experience work on your items?

Heath

0653_homer-eating-popcorn-small-c7873.JPG

Thats pretty bad, and ya can't even blame it on shipping!

I really can't blame you for wanting a refund, and refusing to let him touch the rifle again.

Seems to be his MO lately. I had my dealings with him 2 years ago and it was drawn out over 8 months. He has tried to get the communications thing fixed several times by hiring others to work with him but they seem to bail pretty quick for whatever reason. Never have any of my business again nor a recommendation.

It looks like it wasn't blasted. You don't need to get all the anodizing off but you do need to blast it just the same. 120 aluminum oxide @40 or PSI should suffice in giving it enough tooth for the paint to grab and a uniform texture throughout. I also soak all my parts in acetone for about an hour and bake it for half an hour @ 250 to get the oils out. The metal prep on this stuff is critical which looks like the issue in this case. Sorry for your bad experience. I hope you get a refund.

We are locking this for the following reason,

Any company can have an off day or let something out the door they should not have, the question is how they fix the problem and what is essentially, their customer service, are they willing to make it right.

Scott offered to fix the issue, you declined his offer which is absolutely your right in this case, but posting a scathing condemnation when he did offer to provide you with continued customer service is not right. Mistakes happen, he offered a fix, you declined.

Scott has been around the SH shooting community for a long time, you have not, some will say that shouldn't matter, but it does. Plenty of people have had great service from Scott, the offer to make this right speaks to that. Things happen, people get in over their heads at times, or not, but the customer service was forth coming.