• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote in the kitchen oven

Tanman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2009
Richmond, VA
How bad of an idea do you think this is? Do you think the fumes would stay in the oven even if I leave it open for a few days after to air out, and then do the self cleaning cycle? I'm having a hard time finding any other place to cure my parts after I paint them. I thought I could use the paint booth at a buddy's auto shop, but the temperature only goes up to about 150 degrees. Not sure if I want to go through the time and expense to home build an oven just to cure gun parts... probably won't be painting too many more guns after this project.

Re: Cerakote in the kitchen oven

Just open the windows to air the place out afterward. I did that for quite a while when I was using Cerakote initially.

Get a toaster oven for small parts and make one of the hillbilly ovens for barrels and other larger parts.

find a POS oven at the scrap yard.

i can't speak for cerakote as i haven't tried it but i cure moly resin in my kitchen oven all the time. my oven is by my back door. i open the back door and place a fan blowing out while curing moly resin. i can smell it but it isn't bad. after i remove the parts, i leave the oven door open for a few hours and don't cook in it the same day. i am not married though so i don't have to answer to anyone if i do stink up the house.

Was told never to do that by the people at NIC.
Check the MSDS. If its anything like the C series, its a 3 out of 4 on the health warning.

And dont forget to use the right filters in your respirator.

Cerosafe does not require a lot of heat, you can warm the barrel action up in the oven and use a heat gun to finish to job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get ready for an ass-whuppin from your wife. </div></div>
I answer to no woman! (for now at least...)

I have done durabake in my toaster oven. I warmed the part first, then sprayed the durabake, let it sit for a short while, then baked outside. I still use the toaster oven to make chicken, not a big deal, it didn't really hold an odor or anything, then again, maybe it is killling me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was told never to do that by the people at NIC.
Check the MSDS. If its anything like the C series, its a 3 out of 4 on the health warning.

And dont forget to use the right filters in your respirator. </div></div>

I guess i will hold off until i can find a cheap (or free) oven. I just have the basic respirator from lowe's. Which filters do you use?
While i'm at it, is there a set psi you have to use when blasting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tan Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get ready for an ass-whuppin from your wife. </div></div>
I answer to no woman! (for now at least...) </div></div>
She WILL kick you ass

Has anyone tried a heat gun or blow-dryer? Girls leave those in every bathroom. I used a blow dryer to help cure some AR furniture I painted, it worked fine...

heat gun? I dont seee why it wouldnt work. Thats what i used to make my gun dry faster when i kryloned it.

IIRC, when the destructions say to soak the sprayed item for 2-3 hours at 200-300 degrees, (or something like that...) what exactly are you expecting for a quality and durable final product.

With a heat-gun or hair dryer??????

Not only must I be on the wrong page, but what book are we looking at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IIRC, when the destructions say to soak the sprayed item for 2-3 hours at 200-300 degrees, (or something like that...) what exactly are you expecting for a quality and durable final product.

With a heat-gun or hair dryer??????

Not only must I be on the wrong page, but what book are we looking at? </div></div>

yep, krylon is not the same as cerakote. i would not expect acceptable results with a heat gun curing cerakote.

I think using a heat gun would dry the paint at an uneven rate, since you have to constantly move it around the part. Doesn't sound good. I think the whole point of the oven is to have a constant temp., not going from hot to cold back to hot..
Might be ok for spray paint, but the whole reason I got cerakote is so I don't have to refinish again.

I know "Don't do it!! per specs"

That being said I've done over 100 since Apr 09 in this same oven. And it was brand new then:) Luckily my wife likes guns but the smell isn't that bad and I nor any of my family can detect a difference in the food taste. The fumes from painting however are deadly. I use a particulate respirator designed for spraying bedliner (the type I sprayed was a 3 out 4 as well). Do not use a heat gun or any other form of uneven heat. Do not spray in an enclosed area or in your house. I would stay away from the air dry Cera, the Oven (c) series is my favorite finish ever, the air is second only to duracoat in dislike. But they all have their uses.

I personally blast at 125-140 psi with fine aluminum oxide and medium glass mixed. Has worked well for me, the AlOx just wasn't hard enough for some of the guns I've worked on. Use a cheap gun, it will mess up nearly any gun. I use cheap HF guns about 20 a piece and I throw away every 6th-8th painting. Do yourself a favor and also buy a small airbrush to do the small parts and any custom camo you would like to do. I may pop back in and put up a pic of the one I did yesterday for motivation.
Good Luck

Here is a mini I did for a guy last year, and a FN PBR I put a bolt handle, stock, etc on and Cerakoted.
IMG_0029.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff131/mq1kael/IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff131/mq1kael/IMG_0406.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the info guys. I finally tracked down some 120 grit available locally today. Gonna start off with 2 AR uppers, lowers and barrels. Probably do my 700 next. Luckily I used to airbrush t-shirts and a few random automotive related things, so I have a few Iwatas and Vegas laying around I can use.

CSC Equipment & Supply Co. It's in the west end near staples mill and glenside.

If you're coming home wih an extra hair dryer or two, they will work.

If ya want to go Hillbilly...
Old fridge with all plastic removed.
Looks, and sounds like a smoker.
The peeps you just got for easter were not made of marshmallow.

I ended up getting a cheap oven off of craigslist. Here's how it turned out.

DSC_1314.jpg

DSC_1317.jpg

DSC_1328.jpg

DSC_1330.jpg

DSC_1331.jpg