• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote measuring?

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I've been using Cerakote for quite a while now and I like the finished product more than other coatings I've used. The only issue I have with it at this point is trying to accurately measure the stuff when mixing it up. NIC sent me a plastic measuring "thing" but it doesn't work well for the small batches I normally mix and at $100 a quart I'm not a fan of wasting the stuff.

Curious what others are using to measure and mix? I've searched the net but haven't found much that I thought would work well.

Re: Cerakote measuring?

If it's like dura coat. I use measuring spoons. The cheap ones from Walmart.

Thanks jrb, I use the same for DuraCoat but the Cerakote uses a 24:1 ratio (if I'm remembering correctly) which means I'd have to mix a large batch to use the spoons (I think anyway, never been good with conversions).

I use the small plastic syringes.. (like for kids medicine)
I scratch the measurements in the side with a scribe/knife otherwise when you clean the syringe for re-use ( I use acetone) it wipes the measurements off....

They also make some that have a small curved plastic tip (like the dentist gives you after having your wisdom teeth removed) these are handy for pushing devcon/bedding compound into small areas...

I found them on sleazebay for somewhere around $20 for a box of 50....

You can use a small measuring/cough medicine cup, it has measurements up to 30 drams IIRC, which would allow you to make small 1oz or so batches.

Thanks guys. Been hunting for a graduated cylinder but most are tall and too small in diameter to work well. Figured an etched glass one would work well since the markings wouldn't come off.

I use the graduated cyilinder that it comes with and mix small batches all the time. It works pretty well for me. I buy the 1cc syringes at walmart. Pour 24 cc of cerakote in the graduated cylinder and 1cc of hardner. Cut it in half if you need to or 1/4. I pour the cerakote into a small plastic cup from the cylinder and then add the hardner from the syringe. Stir with the syringe. Works well. Same finish every time.

Is the 24:1 by weight or volume? I have had good luck weighing out duracoat hardner just using my loading scale. I put in a little plastic cup and tare it out from there. I know 100grs of paint and then hardner is enough to do an entire barreled action or stock. I have even mixed as little as 10grs of paint so Im not wasting a big batch for touching up a bolt handle or rings.

I use a large 60cc syringe to put the cerakote in. Then use a 3cc syringe to draw up my hardener. squirt the hardener in the 60cc syringe, stick the plunger back in the syringe and shake it up good. Has always worked very well for me and is a very inexpensive method. I can usually use the syringes 5+ times each. Just dont' get acetone on the syringe markins as they will dissapear.

Go by a medical supply place. They sell sleeves of 100, 1 Oz. medicine dispensing cups. Graduated in oz., drams, and cc's. About 2 cents apiece that way. JMHO

Metal measuring spoons work great, 24:1 is equal to 1Tbsp:1/8tsp, it makes for easy measuring and you can just throw the spoons in thinner/solvent after use to clean. I use spoons with Duracoat, but 1/2Tbsp:1/8tsp to fit the 12:1 ratio for Duracoat.

-matt

ETA: 24:1 ratio achieved by these calcs's 1Tbsp = 3tsp = 24 x 1/8tsp