• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakote / Nitride action question

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas
I have recently purchased a new to me TL3 in raw stainless.

Is a Cerakote application to the receiver and bolt a good practice? Does it impact the tolerance of the bolt and receiver?

Is a nitride application a better path? Ant recommendations for a service provider?

Thanks

I would personally avoid cerakote for actions.

Nitride or DLC.

Nitride is a process that involves very high temperatures, for that it's best to reach out to the manufacturer to go with whom they use to nitride. Call or email Zermatt.

Do NOT cerakote the bolt lugs and raceway. It will turn "gummy" and really slow down your bolt manipulation. I did it and now the receiver and bolt are at CLUB Custom Guns (does most, if not all, of Defiance's DLC work) getting the cerakote removed and refinished w/ DLC. Learn from my mistake!

I just sent my Defiance anTi to H&M for nitride. Was less than 2 weeks door to door and they did an outstanding job.
Definitely get in contact with the manufacturer. I talked to Defiance and they told me what I could and couldn't send off.

I just sent my Defiance anTi to H&M for nitride. Was less than 2 weeks door to door and they did an outstanding job.
Definitely get in contact with the manufacturer. I talked to Defiance and they told me what I could and couldn't send off.
Talked to Zermatt. They told me nitride was a no go on that action. I am sending it to them for DLC treatment.

Thank you for all the help.