• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote on a Deviant action- question

chipsfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
Northeast USA
I just finished the metalwork on a Defiance Machine Deviant short action. I'm going to coat it in Cerakote- do you guys think I should coat the M16 extractor? It looks like it is in the white....

Make sure you go light on the bolt or you're going to be lapping cerakote off. Deviants don't do particularly well with cerakote on both sides. Micro slick works great on the bolt, or better yet get it melonited.

Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

Make sure you go light on the bolt or you're going to be lapping cerakote off. Deviants don't do particularly well with cerakote on both sides. Micro slick works great on the bolt, or better yet get it melonited.
Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

+1 oh what Jonaddis said, Ive put microslick on some and it can still be a little tight. To do cerakote on both you need about .007 clearence between the bolt and action and they dont bind when cycling them.

Casey

Mine came with cerakote on the bolt, not my choice, and just a little dirt would make it awful to cycle so I stripped it all off and now even caked in dirt it cycles really smooth. I'd avoid having to put any on the bolt body. If I had to do something it would probably be melonited or np3

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

We've gone both ways on coating the M16 extractor and coating don't seem to have any negative effects.

On the subject of whether or not to coat the bolt body on a tight tolerance action this is what we do that works well for us. Bake proof tape from Brownells on the contact areas in the raceway after cleaning and gas out.

I also agree that the tape is a great idea on these tight tolerance actions. You would end up lapping it off anyways, so why not avoid it by taping from the get go.

I dont find the defiances that tight. All the ones I have coated run just as slick as uncoated. Cerakote can be sticky if the paint volume and air ratio is not adjusted correctly. Just a little dry spray will leave a coarser finish.

Borden recievers or BAT are a little trickier. On those its best to leave the bolts uncoated.

I want to thank everyone for their time and responses.

Long story short: coated the rifle and bolt handle in cerakote, the bolt body in gunkote- worked like a champ and looked pretty bad ass.

I ordered a bunch of microslick as well. Didn't get here until the rifle was coated. Next time.