• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote on gun stock....Not Good idea?????

Buzzsaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2006
Frisco, Texas
I have a Winchester 70 Extreme Weather in a Bell and Carlson black stock. I love the rifle but want the metal Graphite Black and the stock Tan. I want to have the stock refinished/paited. I have been told by a well known gunbuilder that Cerakote will not hold up on this stock. He suggested Prolane. He doesn't do Prolane..SO

What's my next step I have seen a couple smiths on here who do Prolane but are not taking on any Prolane jobs.

Comments, suggestions please?

Re: Cerakote on gun stock....Not Good idea?????

Are you sure he wasn't referring to Polane T?

I have preped and sprayed two BC light tacticals with air cure cerakote and have not had any noticeable issues. One I just chemically cleaned and the other I blasted with AO because I was trying to create a little depth to the texture to take off any shine. Both are still going strong and not showing any appreciable difference in durability.

IMHE it is still far ahead of duracoat.

It's Polane, same as McMillan uses on all their stocks. Basically an automotive enamel. Any automotive enamel will work just fine. Cerakote was engineered for metal protection, but a lot of people have adopted it for everything else, such as stocks. In the end, they are all paint jobs that will scratch like any other on a sharp surface. Polane is a Sherwin Williams automotive product. PPG is another fine automotive finish manufacturer. Cerakote oven cured (H series) is a lot more work for solid color stocks than it's worth for me. From now on, I just use good quality auto finish for stocks, and leave the Cerakote for the metal.

We have applied Cerakote air cure to many gun stocks and polymer pistol frames with great results. It is all in the cleaning and surface prep. I am going to be doing a personal rifle stock in air cure soon too. It is a great finish.

IDHunt

BTW, I'm an NIC customer, and in no way saying anything bad about them. As a matter of fact, I think they are tops for firearms finish.

One more benefit to automotive finishes for stocks is price. A quart of Cerakote is about $100.00. A gallon kit which makes 1 1/2 gallons of finish is about $130.00. Do the math, it's a no brainer.

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I agree with all. I have coresponded with Karl at Kampfeld Customs. He does both but said stock prep is the key to Cerakote, as mentioned above.

I have about $2k worth of Polane sitting in my shop right now. We can also web the 2nd color.

About the same amount in c-kote. . .

Downdraft booth, the whole works. Be glad to help.

C.