• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote vs. Duracoat

Re: Cerakote vs. Duracoat

you weigh up the pros and cons between the two and make an informed decision?

smartassery aside, It's up to you, what your funds permit and ultimately what the rifle would be used for.(aka heavy abuse vs range/safe queen) Also depends on whether you plan to do it yourself or get a reputable smith or 'Hide member to do it for you..

Thanks. That search was helpful. The concensus seemed to be that cerakoting is more durable but more difficult to apply well. Doing patterns on stocks is easier with duracoat.

I have no experience with cerakoting, but I was not at all impressed with Duracoat. I sent out a gun for duracoating by a professional and the slightest little contact with just about anything would scratch it. No need for me to try that crap again. I bead blasted the stuff off and ended up just parking the weapon.

If your going to go DIY I have found the air cure cerakote to be much more forgiving than the heat cure, seems less inclined to get runs with it and seems to stand up to the "Oh shit" moment if you barely touch it before it is fully cured. I painted air cure cerakote yesterday at 100 degrees outside and it was dry to the touch and safe to handle in under 10 minutes. Try that with heat cure and you will be stripping to repaint.

Right now I have two stocks going to be a semi matched pair. I went with Cerakote air-cure as a base coat and Im doing some detail work in duracoat becuase I could not get the colors I wanted. If I dont like something I can strip the duracoat and leave the base coyote color and start again.

I have only used Duracoat. I like it. I mix it just a tad hard and it doesn't chip or anything. The pistol has a slight wear spot at the tip corner of the slide, where it wears on the holster, but otherwise, no chips. I personally would have painted it myself rather than sending it out. It is not that hard at all.
The rifle (Ruger 10/22) goes out to the ground squirrel field, and gets knocked about a lot. No chips or wears.
The team used Krylon on everything they took to Iraq, and just repainted when it needed it. Daily? I'll have to ask.
I am going to paint the contender, and the AR next. Probably next week.

I just painted my rifle with Duracoat and man that stuff seems really durable to me. Painted the barrel and the next day put it in the barrel vise to put it back on the action and it turned in the vise. I thought well im going to have to re-do it. turns out didnt even leave a mark.

Jerid

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no experience with cerakoting, but I was not at all impressed with Duracoat. I sent out a gun for duracoating by a professional and the slightest little contact with just about anything would scratch it. No need for me to try that crap again. I bead blasted the stuff off and ended up just parking the weapon. </div></div>

I'd find someone else to do it next time.

okie

Personally I use KG metal coatings 2400 milspec series. Its a Teflon infused air brushed on paint that is baked in one hour to cure. I ended up building my own oven to do long guns and the like. I have also used duracoat and found it to be easy to use but will wipe off if exposed to some cleaners like carburetor cleaner. So when I use it now, its for plastic and scopes because these can not be baked. I also have a sig in ceracoat and I do not like the metallic look, however, the finish holds up nicely. If you are careful of what cleaners and solvents you use, the dura coat should be fine, but if you want a real permanent finish i would go with the cera or KG.

im a little partial to Cerakote. Its thinner that Duracoat. Better for bolts, etc. Both take basically the same prep to do it right. Bad prep will net bad results with either. Both are good products, just different uses.

If you want a diversity of colors DuraCoat would be the trick. As far as wear, Cerakote seems to be the best choice. DuraCoat can be handled the quickest after coating if you are pressed for time and doing multiple colors. You don't want to bead blast as the glass beads tend to polish the metal. 120 grit aluminum oxide @ 40 to 50 psi. does the trick. It just depends on the abuse factor of the weapon and the final look you are wanting.

I've done Cerekote and Gunkote and Duracoat myself. I'm very satisfied with Cerekote. I'd go with it. Its much more durable especially with corrosion resistance which is what I used the H series for...an Ak74 that I feed corrsosive ammo to. The C series for suppressors. YOu can't burn that crap off.

I think duracoat has more color choices, but I like cerakote. I had a sig cerakoted in FDE and it rocks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no experience with cerakoting, but I was not at all impressed with Duracoat. I sent out a gun for duracoating by a professional and the slightest little contact with just about anything would scratch it. No need for me to try that crap again. I bead blasted the stuff off and ended up just parking the weapon. </div></div>

It was not properly applied if you had problems like that. Also, you need to make sure it is cured for at least 3 weeks before you put any heavy use on the part. I do a fair number of duck and goose guns here on MD Eastern SHore and I have never had a come back on Duracoat., it is good stuff if it is applied properly and you allow it to cure fully.

I just started using Cerokote about 3 months ago and it seems to be great too. The H series requires heat curing and the C is air cure. C is not a tough as the H. I have a little complaint about using H on close tollarance parts since it has a little bit of a gritty feel. I did a CZ 550 and had just polished and shined the bolt and the inside of the action left marks on the bolt...something I have not seen with Duracoat.

I have used C on a couple 22's to see how it holds up over time, but so far they are doing fine. I also coated a AOW and SBS with the C and we'll see how it holds up. The H is really the tough stuff and I'm only using C to test out it's performance....jury is still out.
=

So is Ceracoat something you can do yourself like Duracoat is?

If I was gonna actually pay $170 for a smith to coat a rifle, I think I'd go with one of the higher end finishes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corsica coatings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just started using Cerokote about 3 months ago and it seems to be great too. The H series requires heat curing and the C is air cure. C is not a tough as the H. I have a little complaint about using H on close tollarance parts since it has a little bit of a gritty feel. I did a CZ 550 and had just polished and shined the bolt and the inside of the action left marks on the bolt...something I have not seen with Duracoat.
</div></div>

If you are getting a rough texture or "gritty feel" when using Cerakote it's because your air mixture to product flow is not correct. Most likely your air flow is too high and is partially drying while spraying.

Cerakote is tricky to apply more so then the others. It goes on like powder coat and looks dry when it isn't. It will be the most durable of them all. Color choice is the main drawback.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11b30b4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ended up building my own oven to do long guns and the like. </div></div>

How did you do this or is there a thread on here about it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corsica coatings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just started using Cerokote about 3 months ago and it seems to be great too. The H series requires heat curing and the C is air cure. C is not a tough as the H. I have a little complaint about using H on close tollarance parts since it has a little bit of a gritty feel. I did a CZ 550 and had just polished and shined the bolt and the inside of the action left marks on the bolt...something I have not seen with Duracoat.
</div></div>

If you are getting a rough texture or "gritty feel" when using Cerakote it's because your
air mixture to product flow is not correct. Most likely your air flow is too high and is partially drying while spraying.

Cerakote is tricky to apply more so then the others. It goes on like powder coat and looks dry when it isn't. It will be the most durable of them all. Color choice is the main drawback.

Thanks for the tip....I'll try cutting the air back a bit.
</div></div>

Any one ever mix the two?

Lets Say do a solid base coat of cerakote and paint the rest of the camo or digital with duracoat.

Have the base durability of the cerakote, with the color options of the Dura Coat.

Prob. a PITA but just wondered.

has anyone imported duracoat into Australia themselves?

Australia isn't listed as one of the countries in the shipping page on the ordering page, and the one store that offers it locally is charging 4 times markup

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bond711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has anyone imported duracoat into Australia themselves?

Australia isn't listed as one of the countries in the shipping page on the ordering page, and the one store that offers it locally is charging 4 times markup </div></div>

If you have Sherwin-Williams in oz, go there and ask for some Polane-T. According to a Arizona Response Systems, a well known gunsmith, Duracoat is the same product and just relabeled and marked up.

Cerakote will also feel gritty if you have a lot on the part, just go over it with 1000 grit paper smooths out real nice.

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bond711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has anyone imported duracoat into Australia themselves?

Australia isn't listed as one of the countries in the shipping page on the ordering page, and the one store that offers it locally is charging 4 times markup </div></div>

bond711. Try cerakote, Geoff at [email protected] is the only authorised person in Aus AFAIK. I'm about to get first rifle done.
Cheers, Chris