• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote vs. Norrell Moly Resin

rdl65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
TN
First of all I would like to say Hello and how much I enjoy reading and learning from this site. I have been reading and lurking here for a while now.
My question is, has anyone used these two finishes and how were your results? I have used the Norrells finish before and was pleased with the results. Just wondering if the Cerakote may be better. TIA

Re: Cerakote vs. Norrell Moly Resin

We have been using John Norell's Moly Resin coating for some time now and as far as we are concerned it is the best ordnance coating on the market. It is also, as you know as you have already used it, very easy to apply and cure. You pre-heat the part to 300 degrees F, coat with an air brush (a very thin coat is all that is needed), and then bake the coating for 1 hour minimum at 300 degrees F. It has a very high lubricity factor, and has good abrasion resistance.

In the past we have tried both DuraCoat and Ceracoat finishes and like the Moly Resin much better.

Oven cure Cerakote is some good stuff but can be tricky to apply nothing like the Moly. If not very careful Cerakote will go on too think and you can have parts fitting issues. Cerakote is a lot more expensive.

since you seem to have used both randy, what is your opinion on which one has better end results when applied properly? i have only used moly resin and have been extremely pleased with the end results and ease of application so i have not ventured into cerekote. i am trying to decide if i need to give it a try or stick with what is already working for me.

I've used both and like Cerakote the most. To me it's much more durable. John's moly resin is slick and easier to apply.

Randy's comment on cerakote is spot on, if you don't know how to apply cerakote correctly it can give you fits in more ways than one.

If applied correctly, I think it's very hard to beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">since you seem to have used both randy, what is your opinion on which one has better end results when applied properly? i have only used moly resin and have been extremely pleased with the end results and ease of application so i have not ventured into cerekote. i am trying to decide if i need to give it a try or stick with what is already working for me. </div></div>

Oven cured Cerakote is more durable then Moly when applied correctly, and I mean correctly. You don't prep correctly it will fail. I can't say it enough, Cerakote is some tricky stuff. Air pressure must be right, no contaminants in the air line, and I mean none, oil or water, don't even think about touching it before it cures or you will be starting over, and so on.

There are more colors with Cerakote then Moly but the air cure and oven cure of the same color will not necessarily match. Cerakote has different gloss percentage and some of the colors can be extremely flat, like chalkboard flat.

Moly is more forgiving and is durable as well. As for a firearm coating I think both are outstanding and I use both and if both are done correctly you can't go wrong with either.

I use more Moly if it’s the basic colors of OD, Black, or Tan. Moly cost less to get and do as apposed to Cerakote.

How does Cerakote or Moly resin hold up on bolts? I've only used those finishes on the rifle's exterior, never done it on a bolt before. I wanted to try it out, but didn't know how "resistant" it would be to wear n tear cycling the bolt in use.

It doesnt matter what coating you use on the bolt, it will wear out sooner or later. I would say Cerakote would resist it better, but hey, what do I know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zepheris.hk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does Cerakote or Moly resin hold up on bolts? I've only used those finishes on the rifle's exterior, never done it on a bolt before. I wanted to try it out, but didn't know how "resistant" it would be to wear n tear cycling the bolt in use. </div></div>

Depends on how many times you plan on cycling the bolt. Its metal to metal contact any coating, including factory blue or park, will wear on the bolt.