• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakote woes and issues

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Recently had my 700 cerakoted. Came out good not perfect but pretty good. However, I found that the first inch of the barrel has been cerakoted. I thought that they had taken out the rifling by sandblasting but I think its ok. I thought I cleaned the barrel better but it looks like I still have some media in it. Is there any way to clean out the cerakote? I'm guessing I need to clean the hell out of it? Any ideas or should I even worry about it? I just noticed it when I put it together. Also is there any way to touch up the floor plate where the bare aluminum is? Is there any paint similar to graphite cerakote? The really really good news is that since the bolt is apart, I was able to check the timing/primary extraction. Its actually good to go. Least it has that going for it.

Cleaned the hell out of it, no paint at all in the barrel was all residue left from it being blasted. Took a good a lot of bushing/wiping to get it out. With that said, I cannot get all of the grit out of the barrel, chamber, bolt, or bolt body. Should I just take a bottle of pb blaster and just flush the parts out? Stick the parts in a parts washer? I have noticed that now the extractor tears the hell out of my brass and a few spots on the lugs are in the white so I guess they may have hit the face? Also is there any way to touch up spots?
131115541_163373262207164_4872420341971607961_n.jpg
131145714_1021728178306687_4845502203664811889_n.jpg
131241196_385254672557136_9221834263460011942_n.jpg

Last edited:
Brush the shit out of it maybe.

Tell the guy who did your cerakote to use an ear plug in the muzzle next time. Cheap and east way to seal a barrel.

Xdeano

Now that you say that I am wondering if they plugged the barrel when they sand blasted it. What are the odds that the barrel is toast? They've done work for me in the past and it came out good, but now I am afraid.

i mean.....ide just shoot it.......itll wear out eventually.

Have you shot it yet? If it doesn't shoot then send it back, if it does dont worry about it.

Not yet, I just got it back, but I assume it wouldn't be any worse than copper fouling. I didn't know if it would cause any issues. But like others said it will wear. Might be agood time to chuck some lead with the nephews.

Eh I guess I overracted, wasn't angry about it, but was worried it would hurt accuracy.
i mean, there is that potential....i dont think its likely, seeing as Cerakote is only applied a few thou thick......but its possible.

i would send a few rounds down range to check.....it could be a big nothing burger.

it if IS effecting accuracy, the only way to remove cerakote is to physically remove it....solvents wont touch it......the safest way to abraid it out is to just send rounds down range.....i would be surprised if it took more than a dozen rounds or so to get it all out of the barrel.

You’d think that a pro coating shop would have all this down. I had a shop plug a muzzle for blasting. Then they took the plug out to apply the coating. I specifically told them not to do that. When asked, guy tells me “just shoot it out”. He got a big FU. It took some scrubbing, but a fresh bore brush got it out.

You’d think that a pro coating shop would have all this down. I had a shop plug a muzzle for blasting. Then they took the plug out to apply the coating. I specifically told them not to do that. When asked, guy tells me “just shoot it out”. He got a big FU. It took some scrubbing, but a fresh bore brush got it out.

They're local to me but and they are marked as certified on the cerakote website. Its annoying. I'm assuming they plugged barrel for blasting, it looks like they did. As long as its not detrimental, I can live with it.

They're local to me but and they are marked as certified on the cerakote website. Its annoying. I'm assuming they plugged barrel for blasting, it looks like they did. As long as its not detrimental, I can live with it.
Just brush the shit out of it. It might have some lubricity, but it not a delicate particle, so i can’t imagine it playing nice if you run it over with a bullet.

Reactions: TurdFerguson
If you brush it and scratch it up a bit and then soak a patch with acetone or brake cleaner and let the patch sit on the site overnight that will loosen it up.

Get a .400 drill bit and ream that part of the barrel out, it is toast. :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Someone want to post some pictures of a damaged bore from sand blasting. Seems extreme, as i have sand blasted aluminum without dragging it. Barrels aren't made out of swiss cheese.

I have shot worse rust than that out of barrels.

Shoddy, unacceptable craftsmanship and should be treated as such. If someone did that to my barrel, there would be hell to pay.

Whenever I blast barrels for cerakote, I plug them before blast and of course during coating. There is always a tiny amount of media in the barrel. I hose the barrels out with high pressure water, and then do a normal clean/oil/dry routine before reassembly. That media will wear out your barrel faster than anything.