• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakote

Northfl

Keepin the lights on
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2018
Jax fl
Fixing to file my first form 1 for a can, i want it to be cerakoted and the question i have is, do i get it coated then engrave all the stuff on it or engrave then cerakote it?? Any help is appreciated

I don't know about that application, but.... Cerakote will chip. I'm sure if you engrave over Cerakote it will chip around the engraving... but again, this is just my experience with the product. If you are painting black over black, it's not too noticeable. Cerakote is a hard finish.

Attachments

• IMG_5475.JPG
    IMG_5475.JPG
    449.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5476.JPG
    IMG_5476.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I've done it both ways, many times.

I even cerakoted some machine tool parts with cerakote that was getting really old, and engraved after the cerakote.

Here's a lathe control panel I made that way in Cerakote cobalt:

Here is the one on my mill:

And a pulley speed range data plate, in cobalt:

This is a magnetic base mount plate on my lathe. Cerakote cobalt, engraved after the fact.

If you engrave before cerakote, you get a subdued look. If you engrave after, the markings stand out alot.

So, based on my experience, it works great either way and i've done alot of cerakoting.

Some of the engraving was done with a non-rotating diamond drag tool, some with a .028" ball mill @ 5000rpm.

On barrels, suppressors and receivers I engrave before cerakoting. I like the markings to be subdued unless the customer requests otherwise.

I made a run of 2" ball shaped automotive gear shift knobs a while back that I cerakoted, then engraved after. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics, but engraving circular text and a logo on the face of a sphere was fun.

Last edited:
Fixing to file my first form 1 for a can, i want it to be cerakoted and the question i have is, do i get it coated then engrave all the stuff on it or engrave then cerakote it?? Any help is appreciated

Do it before hand imo

Does the person applying cerakote know what they are doing? Cerakote properly applied is 0.001” in thickness. It's not going to chip and flake, you can gouge and scratch it though. You can read engravings just fine but it looks much cleaner than than doing it after the fact imo.

AQxU2h9.jpg

VQgdxyb.jpg

Factory cerakote engraved
O1S0XEp.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know about that application, but.... Cerakote will chip. I'm sure if you engrave over Cerakote it will chip around the engraving... but again, this is just my experience with the product. If you are painting black over black, it's not too noticeable. Cerakote is a hard finish.
Looks like that particular coating was improperly applied. I don’t know that I would judge the product based on that sample.