• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakoting a Manners Elite Tactical.

eMc9002

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2017
NC
Anyone done it? Bought a second hand Elite tactical off a member here that came in all black. Would really like to get it redone similar to the GAP camo style but am not familiar with any cerakote applicator's who can do it like that. If anyone has any recommendations that would be great.

i'm thinking I saw a post from none other than Tom Manners himself, waving someone off from Cerakoting their stock. Provided I'm remembering that part correctly, I don't know why. Although, one would have to use the air cure version of Cerakote. Maybe Tom had received a stock back on a warranty claim from someone that baked the thing for an hour @ 300 degrees. Sounds dopey, but it could have happened.

Tiger; Does Branden use Cerakote on Stocks ? I briefly looked on his website and he does Cerakote metal parts, but didn't specifically say what he uses for Stocks.

Branden does not use cerakote on stocks, it is some other paint blend that adheres better (you can email and ask him). he said that cerakote on a stock can flake and peel easily once scratched.

http://customguncoatings.com/

Branden does fantastic work and it is very durable. He did my stock in multicam 5 years ago, I've beat it up and it has held up great.

Look's like quality work, I'll shoot an email.

i'm thinking I saw a post from none other than Tom Manners himself, waving someone off from Cerakoting their stock. Provided I'm remembering that part correctly, I don't know why. Although, one would have to use the air cure version of Cerakote. Maybe Tom had received a stock back on a warranty claim from someone that baked the thing for an hour @ 300 degrees. Sounds dopey, but it could have happened.

Tiger; Does Branden use Cerakote on Stocks ? I briefly looked on his website and he does Cerakote metal parts, but didn't specifically say what he uses for Stocks.

Yikes that's concerning. I'll have to email Manner's on that. From what I understand once the stock is finished from the factory you can't go back and get a color because of the cure process?

Look's like quality work, I'll shoot an email.

Yikes that's concerning. I'll have to email Manner's on that. From what I understand once the stock is finished from the factory you can't go back and get a color because of the cure process?

Yeah, your best bet is to e-mail them and just ask. If they recommend against it, please ask them why and post back here, I'm curious to know.

I have two stocks on order with them right now and they are very responsive. :cool:

Not sure where you are located, but here's another guys who does amazing work!

http://www.dittoekote.com

I don't personally have a rifle done by him, but have seen a number of them at shows and competition - all were outstanding.

Yeah, your best bet is to e-mail them and just ask. If they recommend against it, please ask them why and post back here, I'm curious to know.

I have two stocks on order with them right now and they are very responsive. :cool:

Just threw them an email, I will report back on it.

Fiberglass stocks do not handle the baking process well. The high temps during the baking process have a potential to split the stock at the seams.

I have an A5 that split multiple times when the gunsmith tried to Cerakote it. This happens especially with older fiberglass stocks, though newer ones may split as well. McMillan says you cannot bake their stocks, and I'm sure Manners will say the same.

You can use the air cure version of Cerakote, but it will not be as durable.

I will also recommend Branden at Custom Gun Coatings - he does an excellent job. His wait times are a little long at the moment, but there's a good reason why he is busy.

Fiberglass stocks do not handle the baking process well. The high temps during the baking process have a potential to split the stock at the seams.

I have an A5 that split multiple times when the gunsmith tried to Cerakote it. This happens especially with older fiberglass stocks, though newer ones may split as well. McMillan says you cannot bake their stocks, and I'm sure Manners will say the same.

You can use the air cure version of Cerakote, but it will not be as durable.

I will also recommend Branden at Custom Gun Coatings - he does an excellent job. His wait times are a little long at the moment, but there's a good reason why he is busy.

Yep, I kind of assumed that one would not want to attempt heat cure a Cerakoted Stock at 300 degrees, for any period of time. I'm just curious to see if there is any more to it than that. Not like 300 degrees isn't a big enough problem all by itself though.

Per sales (insanely good reply time):

hello sir,
you can cerakote our stock with air cure cerakote, our stocks do not like high heat due to the composite trying to expand on the inside of the stock. we can paint and sponge most of our camo patterns but this will not be a molded in camo pattern so it may scratch or chip over time but can easliy be done,
Thank you sales

Per sales (insanely good reply time):

hello sir,
you can cerakote our stock with air cure cerakote, our stocks do not like high heat due to the composite trying to expand on the inside of the stock. we can paint and sponge most of our camo patterns but this will not be a molded in camo pattern so it may scratch or chip over time but can easliy be done,
Thank you sales

On the Friday before Memorial Day Weekend ? Haysoos !........(y)(y)(y)

I wasn’t happy with the color that mine came with. I sent it to them and they repainted it, no charge! Hard to beat that kinda service ( 6 weeks turn around ).

The problem you run into with composites is cure temperature. Hypothetically speaking, if Manners cures the epoxy resins at say 250f degrees, that is what the part is thermally stable to. Exceeding that temperature could result in outgassing. All bets are off to what the outcome would be if that happens.

The risk would be all yours, but you could most likely use bake on Cerakote if you treated it like a plastic substrate. Reduce the temperature to 160f and extend the cure duration time to 3 hours. That’s a similar temperature as a black item left in direct summer sun light inside a closed up car.

Yep, scuff the stock up gwith hot water, Scotch Brite and Ajax. Rinse well, then hit it with thin automotive primer and flash cure the primer in an oven. Then ckote it and cure at 150-200 for 2-3 hours per "layer" if camo patterns are being applied.

End result is pretty durable. Alternative is polane/duracote.

Either going to be sending it to Manner's to be repainted (said it could scratch and chip later which I'm not too concerned about since this is a comp rifle) or will go with Customguncoatings as this isn't the first time I've heard of their recommendation. Oven curing the stock doesn't have me too thrilled to be honest lol.