• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakoting Rem 700 5R?

Derrick300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, SC.
Quick question for the experts in refinishing

Thinking about having my 5R done in Cerakote very soon but was wondering what effect the the jeweled finish (I think that's what its called) on the bolt has on the coating if any?

Thanks
Derrick

Re: Cerakoting Rem 700 5R?

It's all abrasive blasted first before coating. If you coat the bolt, the jeweling will be gone.

I had a long action build with a really nice jeweled bolt. I dipped it in the bluing tank, then Cerakoted the knob/handle/shroud black along with he rest of the rifle. Looked pretty good.

We coat bolts, but we dont coat the bolt heads. That way the lugs and face are untouched, and no rubbed off Cerakote can make it into the lug or chamber area.

Bolt heads cant be seen when the bolt is closed, or fully opened and to the rear. So "camouflage" is no excuse to coat the head.

Coating the face and lugs will tighten headspace, until it wears off.

Either way... to each their own.

Camo is the least benefit to H Series Cerakote. Lubricity, decreased wear and corrosion resistance are the primary benefits. It's not like it shaves off and would ever tie up a gun. Doing an action inside and out makes even the roughest SPS action feel almost like a custom. On the lugs it just laps into the surface. It starts out at .001 or less thick and after 20 rounds I doubt you can measure it.

I have ever done the bolt face but see no reason not to. I do it on revolvers and auto pistols without issues.

Nice work.

The .001" you mentioned on the lugs wearing away after 20 rounds, is that before or after final headspacing?
Coat the face, and you have the same question with it. So .002" now wearing affecting headspace.

I just figure why coat important surfaces like that.

Not that it matters.

Ive coated my lugs and face before. Rifle shot fine while it wore off and headspace lengthened by .001" or so. No big deal but I choose to avoid it now.

Those bolts were from rifles just in for knobs, fluting and such. Not fresh builds. On new builds head space is measured when the action it fitted and torqued. Never measured one after coating. In Cerakote training they said it wouldn't be an issue and it never has. Factory ammo in a min spec chamber is still loose for reliability. The first revolver I ever did I did the thrust areas of the cylinder and crane. That was a mistakeO! I won't do that again. On a rifle the brass has enough give I doubt it closes up any tighter than a neck sized only brass. If it were an issue in any way you could just size your brass a pinch tighter.