• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ceramic header paint???

selfbowhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2006
TEXAS
i was at the autozone and noticed some ceramic header paint rated to 1200 degrees. i believe it was a bake on application as well. they had flat black, gloss black, charcoal gray, primer gray, and some other bright colors. has anyone ever tried this stuff for coating metal?

chuck

Re: ceramic header paint???

I just had the bits hang in an oven for about 10 mins then let it cool down, repeated that a couple of times. It supposedly gets harder everytime it heats and cools, so should work well when firing

JJ

They sell a different type at oreillys, it doesn't have near the BS as far as curing, you just bake it at 300f for one hour just like norrells. I tried the stuff from auto-zone I think it was called VHT or something like that, went through all the trouble and it did not stick. the other stuff, which the name escapes me works way better. I have some at home I use for quick apps.

Both are Ceramic header paint, the VHT just is more of a pita to get to cure, if I remember right it needed 600F to cure which would be the header on the car while its running. the other was 300f

I built these last year, one on left was a 98% kit just finished the receiver with norrells moly resin, the one on the right I refinished completely with the header paint from Oreilly's very tough
15673DSC01319.JPG

seems like the stuff i saw at autozone was duplicolor. is that what they have at oreillys?
jester, would you send me some pics to [email protected]? thanks

chuck

Like mentioned above, the problem with most auto header paints is the high cure temperature required. I've also had good luck with the ceramic paint which only needs 300-325 to cure. It has held up great so far even to solvents. Just wipe off quickly and all is good.

Duplicolor is the one for 300F the VHT requires 600F the duplicolor is some pretty decent stuff, they dont sell it at my local Autozone have to get it at the big O.

Nice for a quick spray up I use it when I am too lazy to drag out the ole spray rig for norrells

Just keep in mind that header paint is made to keep heat trapped in, which allows the headers to scavenge exhaust better.
With a rifle, I'd want the opposite, or..... the heat to escape into the atmosphere quicker, helping to cool the barrel faster.
Just a thought.

mike,

i agree, but any paint or coating that has ceramic in it will have the same property, even the beloved cerakote. that is my way of thinking anyway.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just keep in mind that header paint is made to keep heat trapped in, which allows the headers to scavenge exhaust better.
With a rifle, I'd want the opposite, or..... the heat to escape into the atmosphere quicker, helping to cool the barrel faster.
Just a thought. </div></div>

Paint is just to keep the metal from rusting.

why ive never thought of using the exact same paint I dont know, ive got an SKS that could really use a touch up. Might have to consider using the header paint, nervous about baking my parts though.

I've put ceramic paint inside harley pipes so they won't turn the chrome blue
from the heat. It works so it is going to keep your gun hotter.

Ok I will ask the ignorant question, what is the difference between NIC Cerakote and the various ceramic paints on the market? Is it the carrier, the actual ceramic, ease of application etc?

its my understanding that ceramic reflects heat in either direction, or doesnt conduct heat across itself. meaning, if the heat is on the outside, it reflects it away or does not conduct it to the inside. if the heat is on the inside, i will also reflect it away which is back in. this would be true of all ceramic. i watched the video on the duplicolor website. it appears the high temp 1200 degree stuff would be most suitable for our application. it think i may try it on my truck gun the first time. i feel it may be like a lot of other things. depending on who its marketed to, makes up a lot of the price base. if they sold it to us to use for guns, it would cost three times as much.

chuck

I painted my SF suppressor and it looks identical to their finish! Still no flaking or bubbling after several FA mag dumps!