• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerekote removal ???

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Is there a way to cleanly and cheaply remove a new Cerekote job? I bought a barrel with cerekote and changed my mind and would prefer to remove it before mounting. Should I live with it, or is it a reasonably easy project to "de-cerekote" the barrel?

Abrasive blast is the best way. You could sand it I guess but that usually looks like poopoo unless you have a way to spin the barrel to keep it uniform.

Hummm ... looks like it's back to Plan-A ... "Live with it". I was hoping there was some type of special chemical where it just wiped away ... but I guess that was too much to ask for. Oh well ... it won't change how it shoots, so no harm done.

• Haha
    Reactions: Huskydriver
    It doesn’t have to be fancy, a trash can with a towel to stick your arms under and saran wrap to see will work as a cabinet. Then a cheap sand blaster and whatever media you want, bead blast/aluminum oxide etc
    1C0FA751-4C40-48BD-AC97-6E5B6E07512D.jpeg

Hummm ... looks like it's back to Plan-A ... "Live with it". I was hoping there was some type of special chemical where it just wiped away ... but I guess that was too much to ask for. Oh well ... it won't change how it shoots, so no harm done.
    If memory serves, one of the attributes of cerkaote is its' resitance to chemicals.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Huskydriver
    Any abrasive method will work. Taking Cerakote off a barrel with sandpaper is a snap. You can also Cerakote over Cerakote no problem...at least I have, with no problems

Reactions: BLEE
    Isn’t cerakote just like airplane paint, a two part with a hardner? Why not just get you some aircraft grade paint remover. Just make sure you get some gloves, goggles, and respirator

Cerakote is designed to be chemically resistant; it's one of the marketing points.
    The only real way to remove it is media (sand) blasting.

Cerakote is designed to be chemically resistant; it's one of the marketing points.
    The only real way to remove it is media (sand) blasting.
    Old school Dupont made Imron paint was designed for use in the chemical world and on airplanes as it has high anti corrosive properties. The new shit labeled as Imron or Axalta is not the same. I’d put money that if OP can get something capable of removing old imron paint, it would take it off.

Reactions: Dough300