• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors CF 223 suppressor with 22RF - issues - fact or ??

9H_Cracka

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2005
WAY off base (COS CO)
OK - so are there real issues running a CF suppressor on a rimfire rifle?

If so, what makes a rimfire specific suppressor so much better at dealing with said issues?

Thanks.

Re: CF 223 suppressor with 22RF - issues - fact or ??

Many who shoot a lot of .22lr like the preference of disassembly of the can as the .22 rim fire is very dirty. I shoot .22lr out of my AAC M2000 with a subcal unit on my 16" AR. It shoots fine and when I'm done I usually run a 30rd mag of 5.56 through it to "blow out" the fowling I've had no problems so far.

I can't imagine that a CF suppressor wouldn't do a better job. There's like 50x as much internal volume for the propellant gasses to dissipate into than in a RF can. But a CF can is a damn site heavier than a RF can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK - so are there real issues running a CF suppressor on a rimfire rifle?

If so, what makes a rimfire specific suppressor so much better at dealing with said issues?</div></div>

Rimfire ammo is real dirty compared to centerfire, but you knew that.

Being able to clean a rimfire can is important, to me anyway.

I have a Tactical Innovations can. It is light and comes apart for cleaning.

If I had to do it over again I would get a Silencerco Sparrow. I shot and played with one a couple months ago. Good stuff.

Lead vapor deposition is a issue that RF cans deal great with.

I can shoot 100-200 rds of 22lr through my SilencerCo Sparrow, before i take the clamshells off the baffle core, and actually *see* lead chucks caked on the inside of the baffles...

I just fire it a couple times without the clamshells/cover to blow the lead chunks off, and then reassemble. thats my kind of cleaning.

But yeah, After shooting rimfire through a rimfire can, there is no way in hell I'd run a CF can on a rimfire rifle.

Interesting things on TBAC's web site -

re: rimfire 22 cans - "The suppressor is sealed and requires no maintenance. "

re: centerfire 22 cans - "The suppressor is sealed and requires no maintenance."

My question still stands.

No issues shooting a CF can on a RF, other than the accumulation of lead gunk-- which isn't a problem other than it adds weight and you generally don't want a bunch of potentially loose stuff in a precision rifle suppressor.

The same goes with a RF suppressor. After many thousands of rounds you'll notice an increase in its weight and its suppression level will be a little less (although a little bit of lead often helps suppression).

Many people like to be able to take apart their RF suppressors for cleaning; however, this is I think because some chemicals and processes that can effortlessly clean them are harmful to aluminum, the most common material for .22 cans.

Although we state that maintenance is not required, cleaning is an option to the user. The vinegar/peroxide method works extremely effectively on sealed non-Al cans like ours (note that the chemical output of the process is toxic) or an ultrasonic cleaner can be used. We offer complementary cleaning of our cans once a year in our ultrasonic cleaner, if the owner pays shipping.

We've stated before that we are not fans of unnecessary cleaning, and our personal and demo cans never get cleaned.

-z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting things on TBAC's web site -

re: rimfire 22 cans - "The suppressor is sealed and requires no maintenance. "

re: centerfire 22 cans - "The suppressor is sealed and requires no maintenance."

My question still stands. </div></div>

I have the TBAC 22l with about 4.5k or so through it with zero cleaning. Still sounds good.

I also have a tac 65 take apart can with about the same through it. Have never taken it apart to clean it either. Still sounds same as new as well.