• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cfe 223 powder ?

rebs

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
Is anyone loading this powder with 55 gr bullets in 223 for an AR 15 ? Have you hit an accurate loading ? I am thinking about starting at 25 grs.

Is anyone loading this powder with 55 gr bullets in 223 for an AR 15 ? Have you hit an accurate loading ? I am thinking about starting at 25 grs.

Yep. I had a good accuracy node at 27.4 with LC brass and hornady 55gr fmj/bt. It's a little warm but that's what the rifle liked. It's a 16" 1-9 twist

I'm gettng accurate reloads using CFE223 and 77gr SMK's.

4 shots at 100 yds

Attachments

• IMG_4261.jpg
    IMG_4261.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 50
From Hodgdon, when I called

"CFE 223 is BLC-2 with a copper fouling reduction additive so start with BLC-2 data and work out a load from there."

Seems to jive with the BLC-2 model in QuickLoad as well. I used 27.5gr BLC-2 under 55FMJBT Hornady seated to 2.250" with an ever-so-slight crimp and it gets me ~1.-1.25MOA performance from a rifle that shoots the 77SMK's a whole lot better.

77SMK's need a 9 minimum for anything approaching sea level DA's. I find them hit/miss once the DA drops below -500 feet in a 9 twist

My two 223's are a 7 and a 7.5, they both shoot 90 Bergers without trouble in cold weather. I was surprised that the 7.5tw would do it, but the 7tw was "just another day"

I worked up a load for a Remington 700 using 55gr Varmint Nightmare FBHP and CFE 223. Started at 26gr and worked my way up to 27.2 without issues. Found my load at 26.6. I had quite a bit of headroom left to increase the charge weight, but I am running the softer Tula small rifle primer (KVB223) and I didn't want to risk getting into pierced primer territory. The load is a short range target practice/plinking load and I didn't need a lot of velocity to really reach out (wouldn't use the 55gr for this anyway). I ran the same load through my 18" AR-15 this morning and it shot very well and had no issues with pressure either.

Load specs:

55gr Varmint Nightmare Premium Hollow Point
26.6 gr CFE-223
Tula small rifle primer (KVB223)
COAL 2.20"
FC brass

The comment that cfe223 is the same as blc2 w/an additive is shocking. A little crossreferencing at hodgdons data center shows them to be very different. As much as 3-4 grains different in 308 and 7-08 data. Hornadies latest manual finds the same thing...often loads of cfe223 are 3 grains stronger than 748 which has been the twin of BLC2.
Either these guys are putting out crap data on the websites and books or someone at hogdon is fibbing or uninformed.
Anyone else here get told this by a reliable source?

That was not what was told to me by hodgden last year, but who knows, maybe the booth vendors don't know anything either.

I have been loading 25.2, which is about 2700 Fps from a 16.5 inch barrel (ar), and stopped my load development when I was getting 3/4 inch groups at 75 yards with a red dot. Could it get better with higher charges? sure, but you'll be 90 rounds in and you'll be able to light a match from your hand guard. I like to keep my charges as low as possible in order to get a proper cycle, good accuracy, and be able to get 4-5 mags in before I let it cool down, but to each their own.

Running 26.7gn CFE, LC brass, and 55 Zmax and getting sub moa groups out of a Colt CRP18. From my playing around with loads is that it seems to like it hot.

Hogdons burn chart shows 748,blc2, cfe all on top of ea other.
Just spent some time on their data on 3006 and there they show blc2 much slower than 748 and very close to cfe.
I swear older hogdon data and my older quick load showed identical loads between 748 and blc. Now ql shows blc slower than 748 too. Really makes me wonder if hog has played w/and slowed down blc.
Anyone shot blc and cfe side by side?