• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CFE223 Good Results

Deadshot2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
The Convergence Zone
Anyone using this for .308?

I've read a few posts where some love it and many hate it, complaining about pressure issues.

This Monday I went to the range and shot 10 5-round loads using win brass, wolf primers, and a nosler 168 gr Custom Competition bullet in my 5R Milspec.

Started at 46.8 gr and ended at 48.7 gr, working at .2 gr increments (with a .3 gr gap at 47.6-47.9 gr).

Best accuracy was at 47.4 gr, 2692 fps average, and SD of 9.5.

The 48.7 gr load (.3 gr less than published max) was right at 2800 fps but seemed a little erratic for speed with the SD at 15.7 fps.

One think I noted was the lack of any pressure signs all along the loads. I was using 2x fired Winchester brass, nice tight Wolf Primers, and loaded at mag length of 2.800". There was room left over in the case, no compressed loads at near max. Probably no pressure because of the endless freebore Remington likes in their chambers
laugh.gif

The powder, being a ball type powder, metered well enough that all checks showed the variance to be less than +/- .1 gr, something I could only dream of when using my traditional powder, Varget.

Hope this holds across the temperature spectrum because it sure would be nice to have ONE powder for my AR's and my .308. Simplifies and order from Powder Valley
cool.gif
cool.gif

Re: CFE223 Good Results

thanx for the review and good shooting, I still have 24lbs of varget but when i run out, I'll give that CFE powder a try.

I use it. 47.5 gr with a 175SMK, .5moa load. IN my hunting 308 I use 51.0 gr under a 150 gr Sierra Pro hunter or Hornady SST and it is a hammer. Already killed one deer with the SST this year. I really like it.

im playing with 47.2 gr under a 178 amax in my AAC SD. havent run over the chrony yet but it grouped really well at 100.

I was trying this powder out with a 178 HPBT and got up to 47.7gr with no pressure signs but stopped there. Part that sucked is I started getting great groups at 47.3 and 47.7 with fairly consistent velocity.

However, was going by that OCW method and the scatter group was at 47.5gr. Not sure if how much up there I want to get to find the node but I'm going to continue to try and figure this one out cause I think there is potential.

I tried it in 308 under 175 SMK and I got the lowest SD (4) that I have ever gotten in any load. Unfortunately I also got the worst grouping that I have ever gotten in that gun. It was about 1.5 MOA as I recall. I tried several charge weights but not much change. I will stick to H4895.

I know you asked about 308 and CFE

but FWIW -

I have switch to it in my 6x45, and love it.

Easy to meter and work with.

I see no pressure signs working powder charges consistent with other powders in the caliber (Win 748, Xterminator) towards the upper end, such as my 62 gr Barnes Varmint Grenades are atop 28.4grs of CFE. The case is FULL, no crushing felt when seating the bullets at max mag length tip to bottom.

Shoots 5 shots at .5 inch at 100 yards, best I have seen me and this gun do so far.

Still appears to be dirty, in other words you arent shooting and cleaning at the same time
smile.gif

BB

P.S. My load data works for me, dont use it unless you have worked up from lower charge weights to ensure your safety.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jchapman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was trying this powder out with a 178 HPBT and got up to 47.7gr with no pressure signs but stopped there. Part that sucked is I started getting great groups at 47.3 and 47.7 with fairly consistent velocity.

However, was going by that OCW method and the scatter group was at 47.5gr. Not sure if how much up there I want to get to find the node but I'm going to continue to try and figure this one out cause I think there is potential. </div></div>

Of you're trying to shoot the absolute minimum number of rounds then ladder tests like the Audette Incremental Load Development , or the OCW method have benefits.

I just use them for starting points for my final loads. I prefer to just find out what my rifle does across the whole load spectrum from the manufacturer's recommended minimum all the way to their published max load. I start at the bottom and then increase in .2 gr increments, shooting EVERY round over the chronograph while shooting the groups. Very revealing as I notice clear "consistency nodes" in SD, MAD, and ES. They usually correlate to the size of the groups as well. Helps me uncover potential loads that may have had a group scattered either by my haste or pissy weather/wind conditions.

OK, it may cost me a pound of powder but for me it has eliminated a lot of "hair loss" and farting around chasing loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennybone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Still appears to be dirty, in other words you arent shooting and cleaning at the same time
smile.gif

BB
</div></div>

I've heard/read the comments that it seems dirty. Don't see that myself. I conducted an unscientific test with some q-tips.

I took some cases fired cases that used CFE223 and Varget. I swabbed the inside of the case neck on one end and deeper in the case with the other end of the Q-Tip. There was no difference in the amount of soot collected by the q-tips from either.

As for cleaning, I cleaned after 50 rounds. It took only three patches using Hoppe's 9, one to wet and soak the bore, and two dry before there was negligible marking on the patch. The first one, after a 30 minute soak was black but the second was almost totally clean. No brush required and close inspection with a light showed a nice clean "silver" bore.

Of course the bore, a Rem 5R is easy to clean anyway but I can't really say that CFE is any dirtier than the Varget. Most who've commented on CFE across the "net" have indicated that it's a powder that prefers being loaded "hot". Works for me
cool.gif

Thanks for the report. I've been giving the CFE some thought. I've got 24# of Varget sitting on the shelves. Heard good things about this powder and heavy 223 pills as well.

Being slightly cheaper than Varget in 8# jugs, it may get more than a looksy. May have to pick up a pound on the next PV order.

I tried some behind 168 grain HPBT. The load was 47 grains, about .4 grain above the starting load. I shot three in my Colt 901 and decided not to shoot any more. I had flattened and cratered primers with ejecter swipe. I'll shoot the remaining loads through my Remington 700 and use up the CFE223 in my .223 loads.