• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

CFS-Stiller scout action review?

ajdemar215

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2017
Anyone have any experience with these actions? PTG has them for around $650. The wife has started showing an increased Interest in shooting and I would like to build her a rifle that’s at least a semi custom so if she loses interest, I can recoup a little more money or have a good action to rebuild into what I want. I know there is a stigma surrounding PTG’s customer service and that’s why I’m a little hesitant but I have no experience with them besides ordering gauges and reamers from third party vendors. Any help would be appreciated.

I just stumbled on these as well. Seems like a sweet deal, but I am also trying to find out more info first

The action is Stiller, but the bolt is PTG... I'm guessing that means any chance of pre-fit is likely out the window.

If you're not spinning your own barrels the Big Horn Origin w/ pre-fits is likely still the cheaper build option. Likely higher resale value as it's more of known quantity as well.

I am pretty sure PTG made the bolts for many of the Stiller actions, and they may still make them.

Reactions: wes1
I am pretty sure PTG made the bolts for many of the Stiller actions, and they may still make them.

I was aware PTG has made after market bolts for a long time for several different manufactures Remington, Howa, Savage, Stiller, etc.

I guessed/assumed the PTG Stiller bolt was another after market offering. Are you saying that Stiller doesn't make their own bolts and always uses PTG bolts?

I am pretty sure that PTG made the bolts for the Predator actions at least the early ones. Maybe when Stiller got the first Navy contract for actions and they switched over to one-piece bolts they may be making their own, but PTG started making one-piece bolts at the same time, that may be strictly a coincidence.

I just bought one. Parts going to the smith tomorrow. A 224 Valkyrie for my daughter. (No, I don’t need to hear any negativity about a 224 Valkyrie bolt gun or how a 22-250 or similar is better).

I will post again once the build is complete.
I will say a 224 Valkyrie in a bolt gun is kinda a pain in the ass. It made for an interesting build. Not dtraivht

Reactions: ajdemar215
I just bought one. Parts going to the smith tomorrow. A 224 Valkyrie for my daughter. (No, I don’t need to hear any negativity about a 224 Valkyrie bolt gun or how a 22-250 or similar is better).

I will post again once the build is complete.
I will say a 224 Valkyrie in a bolt gun is kinda a pain in the ass. It made for an interesting build. Not dtraivht
That was my exact plan, a valkyrie build. Ended up changing my mind on another build and didn’t buy anything. Looking back i should have ordered the action cause now they’re like $800! Oh well, that’s the way she goes. Excited to see how yours turns out! Post up some pictures once it’s all spun up!

I will. Thanks for the encouragement.
I have a 22-250 but its only a 10 twist so its limited to about 69 gr bullets. My daughter wants to shoot long range, but needs something tame. 224 Valkyrie seemed like a win/win at the time. It will be cool novelty if nothing else. Plus we are working on it together.

I will. Thanks for the encouragement.
I have a 22-250 but its only a 10 twist so its limited to about 69 gr bullets. My daughter wants to shoot long range, but needs something tame. 224 Valkyrie seemed like a win/win at the time. It will be cool novelty if nothing else. Plus we are working on it together.
I still want to build one, Deep South tactical has a proof carbon barreled action for sale and it’s taking everything I have to not buy it for a light hunting rig. I just haven’t seen much “proof” of how they handle medium sized game beyond 100 yards.

Man, i just looked at the barreled action you mentioned. Thats a pretty awesome price if the action is any good at all. The barrel is worth over $750 before chambering and about $900 or so chambered.

If it were me 4 weeks ago, I would probably buy that action for my daughter!

PS - 224 Valkyrie is similar to a 243 at 150 yards with similar weight bullets. It should kill OK. More Varmint than medium game unless you are head shooting them.